Sign in to follow this  
Davide Sora

G.B.Guadagnini 1773 ex Buckeburg

I watched the first video. Lovely! :)

And very impressive.

Now for the 2nd video...

Interesting - some of them play on new violins. Bit of a stretch but you can compare. This one, plays Frank on a new violin and you can find Frank played of whatever moves. :)

Hi all.

I was looking for information on this G.B.Guadagnini violin, such as photos, books and possibly arching and thicknesses.

I can not find anything, apart from the fact that it was in use at the Italian violinist Francesco Manara, and is now in use at Korean violinist Soyoung Yoon, winner of the Wieniawski competition in 2011.

Does anyone has any information on this violin ?

Amazing sound, you can hear her playing the opening concert of the Wieniawski competition taking place these days.

https://youtu.be/ZYZcHqKd2Ng?t=24m22s

Davide,

There is a 1751 GB Guadagnini in http://luthierslibrary.com with photos, archings, graduations, every possible measurement etc, etc, etc.

I watched more. Should I be listening for anything in particular? Everyone is obviously playing very well so I am not sure what to hone in on.

I see the rather angry-lòoking Veriko from Georgia/Turkey won. Angry or not - congrats to her! :) I watched...but didn't pick up on what she did better than some of the others.

Hi all.

I was looking for information on this G.B.Guadagnini violin, such as photos, books and possibly arching and thicknesses.

I can not find anything, apart from the fact that it was in use at the Italian violinist Francesco Manara, and is now in use at Korean violinist Soyoung Yoon, winner of the Wieniawski competition in 2011.

Does anyone has any information on this violin ?

Amazing sound, you can hear her playing the opening concert of the Wieniawski competition taking place these days.

https://youtu.be/ZYZcHqKd2Ng?t=24m22s

Ciao Davide,

The violin she is playing still looks like a 1780's JB Guadagnini. I know now for certain that it is not Manara's violin from 1773. The varnish color is too red besides other features.

Bruce

I see the rather angry-lòoking Veriko from Georgia/Turkey won. Angry or not - congrats to her! :) I watched...but didn't pick up on what she did better than some of the others.

Glad to hear - my bets were not on her though I hoped she'll win. But juries are biased towards appearance. She was clearly the best amongst the ones I listened to and played an exceptional Shostakovich-best I heard in years, very mature musician. Far cry from the two we started the thread with. 

I watched more. Should I be listening for anything in particular? Everyone is obviously playing very well so I am not sure what to hone in on.

With very few exceptions the playing is decidedly not "very well".  Just keep listening and comparing - it'll come to you. For sure. Focus on a short passage and try memorize it ( with the score ! ). 

Ciao Davide,

The violin she is playing still looks like a 1780's JB Guadagnini. I know now for certain that it is not Manara's violin from 1773. The varnish color is too red besides other features.

Bruce

Ciao Bruce,

thank you for the clarification and for taking the time to check.

Davide

Thanks David,

I'll try to see if they allow me to login as a guest, as I'm not registered as a member of the library.

I am a registered user (of Luthiers Library), Davide.  If you want to PM me your email address, I will send you photos via Dropbox.  That offer goes for anyone else as well.

I just noticed that if you look at the videos available on that channel some are labelled STEREO and some are labelled BINAURAL. They don't mention where the "dummy head" is placed for the binaural recordings but it sounds more distant versus the stereo recordings which seem quite close mic'd. It's interesting to compare the same player/instrument/hall recorded differently.

Example:

I'm able to convince myself that I'm hearing the binaurally recorded ones live on stage from the audience.  The "stereo" ones I've listened to sound gorgeously hyped up, not so realistic.  You can hear certain details better with the "stereo" ones, but I doubt those details are particularly real...