Sign in to follow this  
Davide Sora

G.B.Guadagnini 1773 ex Buckeburg

Wonderful playing and wonderful tone but this is very much a modern multi-track recording. You can see the Schoeps mics placed throughout the orchestra and though you don't see it in the video, the violin sounds spot mic'd to me, perhaps with an overhead.

*Update - At 36:32 you can see what appears to be the main stereo pair and another pair for the soloist. I'm not trying to take anything away from the recording, it's wonderful, it just doesn't necessary represent the reality the audience heard.

I just noticed that if you look at the videos available on that channel some are labelled STEREO and some are labelled BINAURAL. They don't mention where the "dummy head" is placed for the binaural recordings but it sounds more distant versus the stereo recordings which seem quite close mic'd. It's interesting to compare the same player/instrument/hall recorded differently.

Example:

Interesting that there are two different types of fine tuners. I wonder if this was for sonic reasons, different angles of the string over the bridge etc?

Hallo,

the bridge looks like a Richters bridge (Marcel Richters in Vienna). Players here in Europe seem quite fond of his set up work...

Nice set of videos!

Martina

Florian Leonhard makes them in a similar style, taken from Richters.

Bruce

I'm in big trouble.

You don't have a hope in hell ...!

Davide has a 3 syllable lead, plus he's Italian (x10) plus his name ends in a vowel (x3). However, it's not the best vowel ("i" is best) ...

Hi all.

I was looking for information on this G.B.Guadagnini violin, such as photos, books and possibly arching and thicknesses.

I can not find anything, apart from the fact that it was in use at the Italian violinist Francesco Manara, and is now in use at Korean violinist Soyoung Yoon, winner of the Wieniawski competition in 2011.

Does anyone has any information on this violin ?

Amazing sound, you can hear her playing the opening concert of the Wieniawski competition taking place these days.

https://youtu.be/ZYZcHqKd2Ng?t=24m22s

Hi Davide,

The violin looks more like a 1780ish violin with the brick red varnish and the more Stradivarian style lower holes of the soundholes. More like the Kleynenberg of 1783 or similar. Manara was normally playing a JBG from Milan from the 1750's. Maybe they didn't get the name right.

Bruce

Hi Davide,

The violin looks more like a 1780ish violin with the brick red varnish and the more Stradivarian style lower holes of the soundholes. More like the Kleynenberg of 1783 or similar. Manara was normally playing a JBG from Milan from the 1750's. Maybe they didn't get the name right.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks to join into the discussion.

This is the main reason why I started this thread, try to understand properly what the violin is.

I took the information directly from the web, with all the uncertainties that this may cause :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfD3yoeIVgg

http://www.quartettodellascala.com/it/bio_individual.php?artist=39

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Manara

The Manara violin is listed as ex Buckemburg of 1783 (Wikipedia), or Giovanni Battista Guadagnini 1773 (Quartetto d'archi La Scala), while the Soyoung yoon violin is indicated as an ex Buckeburg 1773.

I thought that this is the same violin, but not knowing that of Manara, I was not at all sure.

Do you think that it is the same violin or not?

Maybe Manara are still playng his Guadagnini, and are they two different violins?

Often the dates indicated in these contexts are inaccurate, are you able to clarify to me the question?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bruce, thanks to join into the discussion.

This is the main reason why I started this thread, try to understand properly what the violin is.

I took the information directly from the web, with all the uncertainties that this may cause :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfD3yoeIVgg

http://www.quartettodellascala.com/it/bio_individual.php?artist=39

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Manara

The Manara violin is listed as ex Buckemburg of 1783 (Wikipedia), or Giovanni Battista Guadagnini 1773 (Quartetto d'archi La Scala), while the Soyoung yoon violin is indicated as an ex Buckeburg 1773.

I thought that this is the same violin, but not knowing that of Manara, I was not at all sure.

Do you think that it is the same violin or not?

Maybe Manara are still playng his Guadagnini, and are they two different violins?

Often the dates indicated in these contexts are inaccurate, are you able to clarify to me the question?

Thanks in advance.

The last time I did the insurance valuations for La Scala, I have it listed as 1773 but at this point I want to look into it. I suppose I could just call him and ask. I know for a fact that he has played and owned more than one Guadagnini.

Bruce

Hmm. Sounds a little scratchy to me.

?

You can't draw any conclusion from that recording. The violin did not sound in the hall like we hear it in our headphones/speakers. Those are horrible recordings. Also, the player does not "showcase" the violin to it's best advantage. She's not Menuhin, she's a very hard working youngster trying to connect to a career. We hear great violins played usually by great players who do a lot with them ( or to them ). Very little is asked here from the violin, expression wise. She has two technical shortcomings which somehow "falsify" what we hear. She might be able to fix one but the train has long departed on the other one.

In the end, to my ear, a Guad is simply not a Top Strad. 

Then I remain confused.

Logically, I don't think you can use any recordings to compare sound (just too many variables)...but "we" keeping putting up clips that supposedly demonstrate superior sound!  LOL... :rolleyes:

I am a little troubled with the terminology of the parts of the bridge, but it seems to me that the goal is to leave the neck of feet very outward.

Maybe using a wider bridge reducing it on the sides to achieve this effect.

The bridge also seems to me quite high, as always it would be interesting to know these measures.

post-35343-0-06838600-1476895089_thumb.jpg

Interesting that there are two different types of fine tuners. I wonder if this was for sonic reasons, different angles of the string over the bridge etc?

I can't see from the images here, but to me that usually means a steel a string, à la Oistrakh

I am a little troubled with the terminology of the parts of the bridge, but it seems to me that the goal is to leave the neck of feet very outward.

Maybe using a wider bridge reducing it on the sides to achieve this effect.

The bridge also seems to me quite high, as always it would be interesting to know these measures.

That's Kry***tof Penderecki.  All he has to fear is fear itself :)

Why does he have *** in his name? 

Is he another "he who shall not be named"?  :ph34r:

Then I remain confused.

Logically, I don't think you can use any recordings to compare sound (just too many variables)...but "we" keeping putting up clips that supposedly demonstrate superior sound!  LOL... :rolleyes:

To compare "sound" , maybe not. But almost any recording tells how close a violin is from functioning right - according to the standard.