Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Hannafin

A Tribute to Neil Ertz

Not what I meant to do... I somehow edited the last post. Anyway, the back and scroll are done, I hope to be able to send the violin over in a week or so. (after I finished the front and ribs of course!) 

9 hours ago, pbelin said:

Anyway, the back and scroll are done,

Great to see the back and scroll.

I am looking forward to seeing the front (jointed to reduce the impact under varnish of slight runout).

As the violin is nearing completion, what is the plan to present to Neil's family or a worthy young player?

Matt is/was in Scotland so I was expecting him to chaperone the process, but he is moving to the US.  Who takes over this task?

Yes I'm afraid I've moved half way around the world from Scotland.

I've been in touch with some other makers I met and got to know in Scotland, but nothing has developed yet.  It's really just needing somebody willing to get the varnished instrument shipped to them, and do the set-up, and then get the instrument to Saint Mary's in Edinburgh.

I've not been in touch with Saint Mary's yet, but I think that would be the next step after we know more.  I still like the original idea of following what John Cockburn brought up, and donate it to Saint Mary's as a gift from Neil's friends at Maestronet.  I think once we have things laid out with a solid plan for getting it done, that would be a good time to let Neil's family know that we're almost done and take it from there. 

Another thing to coordinate once we know where the instruments last bench stop will be, is getting the label made up and off to that person as well.  (Addie, are you still up for making a label?) 

It's also very sad about Craig Tucker passing away during this project.  He generously donated very nice fittings and ebony for the project...perhaps there's a way to mention this on the label somehow...let me know what people think about this. 

Neil's name was mentioned and that triggered a question.

What is the status of the instrument and where is it?

It would be good to get it into the hands of a young musician as soon as possible. 

It would be great to have the setup done in the UK.

Having scanned through the previous pages, pegs, chinrest and tailpiece have been donated.  This leaves the bridge, soundpost and strings.

------------------------------------

ps Sad to see how involved Craig Tucker and Addie were in this project. 

12 hours ago, Janito said:

I am going to try to have the setup done in Scotland.

More soon. 

That's great.  I sent out some more emails yesterday trying to work out the setup & delivery too.  Nothing shaping up yet, but hopefully something works out soon.

I agree too, it is very sad to see Addie, and Craig passing away during the project.  Perhaps a letter of dedication should accompany the instrument to St. Marys...and make a special mention of two more of our missed M'Netters?

Three years and still not done?  Dwight Brown's VSA viola took only months.  After all Neil contributed here you would think it would have been completed sooner....and what is the status of Craig Tucker's tribute violin? 

59 minutes ago, Ernest Martel said:

Three years and still not done?  Dwight Brown's VSA viola took only months.  After all Neil contributed here you would think it would have been completed sooner....and what is the status of Craig Tucker's tribute violin? 

I'm dragging my little feet in shipping the neck and fingerboard assembly.