Maestronet Forums

A Tribute to Neil Ertz

Matthew Hannafin

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

The project arrived at my shop the other day, here are some photos of how things are going:

scroll8.thumb.jpg.5efa9cd9fff295df1f79f2aee8de270a.jpg

Progress on the scroll.

5ab02d64afe1f_ribsandtop.jpg.6a6e11cb5946f03b856066d489b4ac80.jpg

James' very clean rib structure, and the belly after Janito and Kelvin's work.

top.jpg.60fdea2de5e863fbac46caaff216cf6c.jpg

top2.thumb.jpg.77e996921834c873168a43afb87277d0.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo, but the belly is coming right along...big thanks to Janito and Kelvin.

5ab02d738c5ca_ribcrack.jpg.08420ef30832afcce80d3825504d7983.jpg

Unfortunately, the post managed to bonk the package enough to cause a crack along most of one lower bout rib.  Sorry to James to have to see this photo :( But I'll get it fixed up here soon.

I'll be plodding along on the back over the next few weeks, and hopefully we should start to see it all coming together soon.

Addie, I know you had volunteered to make a label, that might be something we want to start passing around to everybody to sign.

1 hour ago, Matthew Hannafin said:

The project arrived at my shop the other day, here are some photos of how things are going:

scroll8.thumb.jpg.5efa9cd9fff295df1f79f2aee8de270a.jpg

Progress on the scroll.

5ab02d64afe1f_ribsandtop.jpg.6a6e11cb5946f03b856066d489b4ac80.jpg

James' very clean rib structure, and the belly after Janito and Kelvin's work.

top.jpg.60fdea2de5e863fbac46caaff216cf6c.jpg

top2.thumb.jpg.77e996921834c873168a43afb87277d0.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo, but the belly is coming right along...big thanks to Janito and Kelvin.

5ab02d738c5ca_ribcrack.jpg.08420ef30832afcce80d3825504d7983.jpg

Unfortunately, the post managed to bonk the package enough to cause a crack along most of one lower bout rib.  Sorry to James to have to see this photo :( But I'll get it fixed up here soon.

I'll be plodding along on the back over the next few weeks, and hopefully we should start to see it all coming together soon.

Addie, I know you had volunteered to make a label, that might be something we want to start passing around to everybody to sign.

Ouch,! So what path you think ? Fix or replace?

• 1 month later...

Some progress on things:

1739991060_platesalmostdone.jpg.dfbcd14516374e2755160591d64db0c4.jpg

I should have the bass-bar in this weekend, and assemble and get the violin off to Paul Belin really soon.

A couple of things down the road:

1) Label -> We should probably start getting that sorted.  Whether or not to pass something along and everybody signs, or just draw up a label with names printed.  Or just a label that says something about Neil's friends on Maestronet, and I can pen in the names on the inside of the instrument somewhere like the upper bouts.  Just ideas.  Let me know what you guys think.

2) Setup & final delivery/shipping to St. Mary's -> So the instrument will be bound for Paul Belin in Germany soon, and what would be great is for one more volunteer (probably makes the most sense for a UK based person) to do the final set-up and then get the instrument to St. Mary's.  I'm happy to do this as well, but I won't be living in Glasgow when the instrument is ready for set-up (my wife got a job offer in New Mexico, and we're moving soon), so that would be quite a bit more shipping around of the instrument...not insurmountable, but it would be great to have the final stop be in the UK for its set-up.

12 hours ago, James M. Jones said:

Out of curiosity, what of the cracked rib? Repair or replace ? And if repair, how did that happen?

I was surprised to see the crack having seen how you adapted the 'burger in a bun' concept to protect the ribs!

348731380_JonesExcelsiorShippingcradle2.thumb.jpg.a48cb1df8836af3130925c0f75cf0859.jpg

Hey, Janito, I was cleaning my shop a week or two ago and I found the purling that I had made for this violin.   I had meant to send it with the top so that back would have matching poplar-holly-poplar purling, but the day I sent it across the pond, I could not find it.   I guess this is par for the course on this type of project.  

Kelvin 

I've got the instrument done in the white, and I'll ship it off to Paul Belin this week for the varnishing.

1087595715_buttonlayout.jpg.b5d2c493da8ddebfe47a315961628810.jpg

608758042_finishedinthewhite.jpg.656e393b01d5b3751f59d55e75cf83e5.jpg

Just a couple of things...

1) Case/bow: Will L had volunteered to buy a case and bow for the instrument, I think he's been off MNet for a little while, does anybody know him personally, and possibly able to get in touch with him?

2) Still room for somebody to get involved with the project, as final setup isn't covered yet.  I did mention earlier I'm happy to do this, however I'll be moving to New Mexico soon and it'll be a couple more trips across the ocean for the violin.

3) Label: I think a facsimile label, along with a dedication label sounds nice.  Perhaps "In memory of Neil Ertz, from Maestronet" or something along those lines...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, Kelvin Scott said:

I was cleaning my shop a week or two ago and I found the purling that I had made for this violin.   I had meant to send it with the top...

I was referring to the purfling mitres...

It's funny what drops out when you shake a tree :D

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. 

I'm sorry for being so late with this, but I had a lot of other projects going on. Still have, but now I've started varnishing the violin! 

Good thing is, it took a nice tan in all this time. 

There are 2 coats of clear varnish, I'll keep doing that until the surface is good enough to start with colour. This is how I normally do, and is in my opinion the reason why the clear coat is much thicker on del Gesù's instruments than on Stradivari's. 

More coming in the next days. 20181106_083210.thumb.jpg.f63fcc71b681d21a5332a12ee787b001.jpg

8 hours ago, pbelin said:

Hi everyone. 

I'm sorry for being so late with this, but I had a lot of other projects going on. Still have, but now I've started varnishing the violin! 

There are 2 coats of clear varnish, I'll keep doing that until the surface is good enough to start with colour. This is how I normally do, and is in my opinion the reason why the clear coat is much thicker on del Gesù's instruments than on Stradivari's. 

More coming in the next days. 20181106_083210.thumb.jpg.f63fcc71b681d21a5332a12ee787b001.jpg

8 hours ago, pbelin said:

Hi everyone. 

Who da man? ...you da man! 

Hey Paul,...In the spirit of Neil's  generosity I hope you will share as much info as you can with us as you go through the varnishing process. That is spectacular. What ingredients are in your varnish?

Thanks,

The neck is sealed, so that's the colour I get before I start brushing the varnish on.

The varnish is 1 part linseed oil 2 parts cooked rosin. I think the oil was cooked with lead white but I' m not too sure anymore.

The sealer, ground, call it whatever you like, is the varnish, only hardly dilute and rubbed in the wood. Once is enough.

Great!.... One question about the varnish,...do you add strasbourg, or larch turpentine or any other plasticizer  to the rosin when cooking it?. Do you add mastic upon cooling? Or is it just plain rosin and oil?

OK that's more than one question, sorry...:rolleyes:

Thanks!!