Maestronet Forums

A Tribute to Neil Ertz

Matthew Hannafin

1 hour ago, Janito said:

Where are the residual toothed-blade marks - going for a 'clean' concept? :)

ha ha LOL  yea, I guess I'd rather be on the clean side of history than the converse. It does raise the point of having time to spend with real stuff.There are plenty of tooth marks on the inside though and maaaaybe a few on the outside,and that little chip and some small bits. please don't judge to harshly,I'm still a new maker, but constructive criticism is always welcome.

I'll be sending this off to you , if your still game,your on deck, my only concern is to get the form returned, I'll gladly pay shipping,even if it heads east across the pond, ... , I when working on a collaborative project like this, it pays to be somewhat open to almost anything,so if I don't see it again it would be OK, just would be nice to have back. I am excited to participate in the project, hope my contribution serves well and  looking forward to seeing the results.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, James M. Jones said:

my only concern is to get the form returned,

I think the mould will need to travel to Europe where the back will be made (probably Kelvin will be sending over).

Let's entrust Matt to get the mould back to you.

ps. I am game. I have just glued blocks for 2 violins and a viola (new design) to ease back into 'The Swing' after a looong varnishing spell.  Looking forward to receiving your work.

The Neil Ertz violin has started its global travels.

Today I received the ribs, mould, spruce and other bits from Mr Jones. 

The outside box was a little beaten-up, so I was apprehensive until I saw the Jones Excelsior Packing Gizmo he had devised to keep the garland in place and protected.  Quite ingenious - shame the plywood wasn't purfled!

Jones Excelsior Shipping cradle1.jpg

Jones Excelsior Shipping cradle2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some photos to show progress at my end.

I was charged with jointing the top, setting an oversized outline from the garland and doing the rough arching.  The next person in line was going to be Kelvin Scott so I had to be on my best behaviour!

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the long and transverse arches because of significant disparities between Jim Bless' laminated Kreisler poster and several other versions that I had to hand.  In the end, I left the edges full to allow Kelvin to do his magic and the rough arching generous to provide flexibility for the person who would be doing the final arch work. On the way I made some templates that mirrored the bass side of the transverse arches to remove the marked distortion of the plate on the treble side of the original.

To aid the registering of the plate and the garland, I placed pin marks at the rib mitres and at the position of the garland along the centre joint.

When I shipped the box and poster to Kelvin I knew he was going to be away, but I did not know that a storm was coming over Tennessee.  I spent a sleepless night with visions of the box slowing disintegrating as it sat in the rain.  Fortunately all was well and the 'ball' is now in Kelvin's court - no pressure!

ps - note the marked colour variation of the wood where I have planed off less wood  

Jointed plate_Roger's wood.jpg

Second phase of rough arching.jpg

Small plane produces expensive shavings.jpg

Directional light.jpg

Scribed rib outline and pin marks at mitres.jpg

C bout with long corners.jpg

C bout with long corners_.jpg

13 hours ago, Janito said:

Some photos to show progress at my end.

I was charged with jointing the top, setting an oversized outline from the garland and doing the rough arching.  The next person in line was going to be Kelvin Scott so I had to be on my best behaviour!

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the long and transverse arches because of significant disparities between Jim Bless' laminated Kreisler poster and several other versions that I had to hand.  In the end, I left the edges full to allow Kelvin to do his magic and the rough arching generous to provide flexibility for the person who would be doing the final arch work. On the way I made some templates that mirrored the bass side of the transverse arches to remove the marked distortion of the plate on the treble side of the original.

To aid the registering of the plate and the garland, I placed pin marks at the rib mitres and at the position of the garland along the centre joint.

When I shipped the box and poster to Kelvin I knew he was going to be away, but I did not know that a storm was coming over Tennessee.  I spent a sleepless night with visions of the box slowing disintegrating as it sat in the rain.  Fortunately all was well and the 'ball' is now in Kelvin's court - no pressure!

ps - note the marked colour variation of the wood where I have planed off less wood  

Derrick, Did you find my poster to be "off" or "faulty" in some way in comparison to your other sources or did they all vary?  In other words, was my poster the odd duck and in what way?  Something that would be good to know if I make a Kreisler model based on this poster in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

4 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Derrick, Did you find my poster to be "off" or "faulty" in some way in comparison to your other sources or did they all vary?  In other words, was my poster the odd duck and in what way?  Something that would be good to know if I make a Kreisler model based on this poster in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

I think the variation comes from the locations used to create the arching, so I would not say that any are 'wrong'.

Frankly, this was a good lesson in not being obsessive about archings shown on any particular 'XX violin' poster - just go with the flow accepting that it may be one representation of the 'truth'.

In other words, nothing wrong with your poster!

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2017 at 2:05 AM, JohnCockburn said:

how is this going?

Hello John,

I believe Kelvin still has the top & ribs.  (Once again that looks like really nice work James & Janito.)

I've got the scroll roughed in, the fingerboard rough shaped, and the back ready to join over here.

It's certainly not too late for anybody thinking of helping out, I'm also happy to block off some time when the belly & ribs make it here to do the work & get the violin off to Paul soon.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post some photos of some work on the scroll that's been happening in Glasgow.

scroll1.jpg.112618e8eaeef87d14e54d6ebba1bbd7.jpg

The template is Addie's, and the photographs are from the Library of Congress, that I sized to dimensions that are in the Guarneri book.

scroll2.jpg.7d0aa20aec4c7fecc666b7a95947af18.jpg

Sawing, rasping, and finally, laying out the cuts.

scroll3.jpg.1b805586a669cbd9e21e8058a998ba34.jpg

Ever since I read Luis Manfio's scroll thread, I got hooked on paper "templates".

scroll4.jpg.29f5437273adeaa48f4244f942405382.jpg

scroll5.jpg.2835a0d34cdf29973e62a1584d2968b3.jpg

scroll6.jpg.6133dd4c01d04861e265c141750d308c.jpg

These little templates are Neil's idea, and are handy for getting the top line of the pegbox symmetrical and flowing right, and laying out the peg holes.  And that's where I'll pick up soon.

scroll7.thumb.jpg.c3e3f60c4c526397aff98ac85cfa6ecc.jpg

And of course, a fingerboard roughed in and ready for gluing (Thanks again Craig!)

fingerboard1.jpg.23ddf5dc5b5e87af770de1c8d112c4b3.jpg

Although I had a sleepless night because storms were forecast in the Tennessee area on delivery day, Kelvin was able to reassure me that all arrived safely in Knoxville.

Hint: On the US side, ball in Kelvin's court ;)

ps I am keen to see his purfling and arching nearby.

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Bump, any progress reports?

I believe most of the project is still with Kelvin Scott.  Other than that, I've got the scroll ready to go & the back ready to start on as soon as the project makes its way across the Atlantic.

I'll add some more pictures of the scroll soon...just have a camera full of pictures to sort out.

~Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to take a moment and let people following the project know that Kelvin has not only purfled the belly, but also finished the arching.  So a big thanks to him!

So now the belly & ribs are crossing the Atlantic again.  I'll get some photos up soon after things arrive here.

Speaking of photos, I really must apologize for not adding any since my last post.  My wife left for a month long work project in Morocco, right after I posted last time, and she took our camera with her.

Matt

22 minutes ago, Matthew Hannafin said:

I just wanted to take a moment and let people following the project know that Kelvin has not only purfled the belly, but also finished the arching.  So a big thanks to him!

So now the belly & ribs are crossing the Atlantic again.  I'll get some photos up soon after things arrive here.

Speaking of photos, I really must apologize for not adding any since my last post.  My wife left for a month long work project in Morocco, right after I posted last time, and she took our camera with her.

Matt

Awe come on.  Everybody uses that "my wife took my camera to Morocco" excuse. :D  Looking forward to seeing pics of yours and kelvin's work.

-Jim