Maestronet Forums

A Tribute to Neil Ertz

Matthew Hannafin

I've gotten back in touch with Roger Hargrave (who is a very busy man!) and the wood should be here in Glasgow soon.  Once again, as soon as it's here, I'll start shipping the wood off to folks.  I'll post an updated list of steps and who is doing them once we're more underway as well.

The spruce is going to the USA, starting with Janito.  So if anybody in the USA wants to do any purfling, final arching, graduating, cutting ff-holes, or installing a bass-bar, that would be a big help.  Hopefully once the belly is ready for box closing, it could get shipped to the UK/EU.  

That would be another important job to be covered as well...somebody in the UK or EU to handle box closing and neck setting.

Thanks again to everybody who has volunteered their time for this project...we should be underway soon.

I was at a fiddle fest just this past weekend in Edinburgh, and lots of people I was talking to really felt the loss of Neil.

~Matt

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt,

I spent a very memorable week at the SRAM making a viola with Neil and a group of other viola makers.  Neil was a lovely guy and and I would be happy to help out on the USA side of the work, let me know.  I can do any part of the making process that would be helpful.

Best,

Kelvin

Thank you very much, Kelvin, we would love to have your help.  It's been amazing with how many people I've talked to that only knew Neil a little bit, and he made such an impression on them.

I think there's lots of steps on the belly to be filled.  Janito is going to join and rough arch the belly, so it's open after that.

Cheers,

~Matt

I received the wood from Roger Hargrave this morning.  It looks beautiful.  A big thanks to Roger for helping make this project a reality.

I'll get the wood for the belly and ribs shipped out right away, and start working on the scroll as well.

As an update to the workflow, the ribs and belly wood will be travelling together in the USA at least until the final outline of the belly is done.  So if there is anybody in the UK who would like to start working on the back, I'd be happy to ship it to them, and maybe the back could be ready to start rough cutting when the rib structure makes it back to the UK?  Side note...the back will need to be re-sawed, as it's just in a wedge.

Cheers again to Roger.

post-78407-0-55977400-1480767857_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to give me an address where (and when) to send the fittings.

ctviolin@gmail.com

k?

Absolutely, Craig.  I've been waiting to see if anybody would volunteer to do final setup, but if you'd just like to get them and the fingerboard off, you would be welcome to just send it all along to me. 

I would love to be involved in the project, I can offer to document the making process to commemorate things. 

Chris 

Hello, Chris, I think this would be a fantastic addition to the project. 

Hello, Chris, I think this would be a fantastic addition to the project.

Here's what I'm thinking... we document the project through the making process itself. Each maker takes photos of their contribution and describes their technique. Contributions can be posted here or sent along to me via PM. 

Just a few thoughts... Most of you knew Neil far better than I did, let me know if you think this would be a fitting way to capture the project

Chris 

Here's what I'm thinking... we document the project through the making process itself. Each maker takes photos of their contribution and describes their technique. Contributions can be posted here or sent along to me via PM. 

Just a few thoughts... Most of you knew Neil far better than I did, let me know if you think this would be a fitting way to capture the project

Chris 

Sounds great, thanks for offering to do this.

~Matt

Hi Matt,

I spent a very memorable week at the SRAM making a viola with Neil and a group of other viola makers.  Neil was a lovely guy and and I would be happy to help out on the USA side of the work, let me know.  I can do any part of the making process that would be helpful.

Best,

Kelvin

For me personally and my time here, there are people that I consider kind. I believe there are many more I do not know but Kelvin and Neil both seem to have/had that same kind soul. What a great thing this project is.

I can't wait to see everything come to completion. Neil should not be forgotten. With those involved it will be one heck of a fiddle, that's for sure.

The set of wood has been split up, and the ribs and belly are on their way to the USA.  I sent along some split spruce for a bass-bar too.  I'll post an updated list of who's doing what soon too.

All of the steps for making the back are open, and I should just say, the back is in a solid one piece wedge, so if somebody is set-up for resawing, that would be a big help.  For shipping purposes, I think the heavy back makes more sense to do in the UK/EU.

post-78407-0-65339400-1481222482_thumb.jpgpost-78407-0-65339400-1481222482_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking mold by the way.

Absolutely, Craig.  I've been waiting to see if anybody would volunteer to do final setup, but if you'd just like to get them and the fingerboard off, you would be welcome to just send it all along to me. 

Sorry Matthew - if I was back in the out door shop working violin wood much, I would offer to help with (tooling) the back plate wood. Unfortunately - I'm pretty much done with the violin work... and am highly absorbed with making bows now.

Did you get the fittings - as I sent them off a while ago now?

Another thing is, that I'm getting my first bow off to a great Mnet friend. I'm currently on my second batch of four pernambuco sticks - ebony, abalone, and silver frogs.

Perhaps we can run a bow in conjunction with the violin? I'm a compleate ameture but - it just might be fun. Plus it's going to be a while - right?

ct

Safe arrival of all the hardware from Craig.  The project even has back-ups for most things!

post-78407-0-71788900-1482001224_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, Craig...this is a really nice contribution.

Regarding the bow, I think that's a nice idea.  Time frame wise, you're right...it will definitely be a while before the project is done.  Did you just want to make a bow and donate it with the violin?  Or were you thinking of getting more folks involved like we're doing with the fiddle?

Cheers

I'm not really very sure how to work out logistics of a project like this...but I know Maestronet has done this in the past, so I bet it could happen again.

Anybody who wants to help on this project is free to donate time or money or materials.  I can try to keep things organized with this thread.

I'd like to now open up the discussion to see if others are interested with this idea, and maybe we can all chip in and get this project off the ground.

~Matt

I think that many Mnet members would do whatever they can, given a chance.... and perhaps a slight push. The fittings weren't any trouble for me - and so it goes - 

As far as a bow goes, I do think it would be very cool to send an Mnet 'members made' bow with the violin also. One problem with me, is that I've been on this project (making bows) for over two years, and have not quite finished my first bow yet.

So you've done an excellent job thus far getting this project off and running (I was very happy to see Roger H back in the works!)

I'll let you decide how to work this - if you even want to do the whole "bow" thing that is - after all, it's really your project.

You decide what you want to do, and I'll tell you what my contribution for a 'possible bow' would be.

Cool?

Let me know

ct

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.... I started in on the ribs today, Looks like they will work for one piece upper and lower ribs. Now my question is .... How did del Gesu lay the ribs for the Kreisler? The slope of the flames , I know he did it a number of ways. sometimes following all the way around in a continuous flame pattern  and sometimes reversing the flame pattern to create a v type pattern. I only have one small pic with no side shots and would like any guidance available.

please excuse this post, after googling the Kriesler, it seems the flame pattern follows all around, sloping from top up to the back on the bass side and continuing around the body uninterrupted.  So unless I hear other wise , that's what I will do.