Maestronet Forums

A Tribute to Neil Ertz

Matthew Hannafin

This is good to know and comforting.  But if anyone finds out they need anything, let us know.

Matthew, I am not in a position to work on an instrument, but depending on what develops, I can provide a case or bow, or something like that.  Just let me know what might be needed.

That's very nice of you, Will.  I'll start keeping a list of what folks want to contribute, and get back in touch as this develops.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in if my work would be accepted. 

I think working off the completed rib structure for top and back outlines is really the way to go, at least for the final rundown of the edges of the plates. less room for fatal mistakes. making a "closely inspired by" model also a good idea. I also really like the idea of supporting students with good instruments and think it will have a larger effect in the long run.

one small "issue" might be international shipping , could be a good idea to organize the work done on one side of the pond, and back again, to avoid heavy shipping charges and to minimize the inherent risks of border crossings. 

I see lots of info on the Kriesler, Steve Sirr and Rodger Hargrave both have Excellent write ups on it on the web. Lots of info there, looking at the CT scans of the cc bouts on Steve's page raises some interesting points to consider.

Of course, James.  No need to be bashful.  I think we would all love your help on this project.  You've also brought up some excellent points regarding international shipping, which can be expensive.  I think it should be a goal of all of us to organize who wants to do what, and limit the number of times this crosses the pond.

Regarding the rib structure and the plate outlines, I think it makes sense to at least work off tracings of the actual rib structure...a common blue print would probably work...but put a fair amount of stress on nailing the rib structure.   I think if we worked from tracings of the already made rib structure the outline could be made fine without having the plates and ribs all together before the end.

That's just my opinion however, I'd love to keep planning this out with more input from folks here.

~matt

I have a Kate Macleod drawing of of the 1733 "Kriesler" GDG that I could send to the appropriate person if it will help.

-Jim

Of course, James.  No need to be bashful.  I think we would all love your help on this project.  You've also brought up some excellent points regarding international shipping, which can be expensive.  I think it should be a goal of all of us to organize who wants to do what, and limit the number of times this crosses the pond.

Regarding the rib structure and the plate outlines, I think it makes sense to at least work off tracings of the actual rib structure...a common blue print would probably work...but put a fair amount of stress on nailing the rib structure.   I think if we worked from tracings of the already made rib structure the outline could be made fine without having the plates and ribs all together before the end.

That's just my opinion however, I'd love to keep planning this out with more input from folks here.

~matt

I'll repeat my offer, if we want to work from a common blue print I have it.  Picture on post #19.  Kate's work is high quality and to scale.  The dashed line inside the back outline is the outer surface of the ribs.  It's also copyrighted so I would be sending my actual drawing with the hopes that it would make it back to me in one piece.  I should probably have it laminated first.  No problem if people want to work from a different format.

-Jim

I fear I may have caused a bit of confusion.  When I referenced the "actual rib structure" I meant the completed one made for this fiddle.  Just in case of inconsistencies that may wind up causing what James called "fatal mistakes" where I believe he meant the margin of overhang approaches 0.

I think working from a common blueprint is essentially the same difficulty for those who cut the plates to the outline, but more difficult for the person who makes the rib structure to the exact line.  Where as making the rib structure first, it basically becomes the blueprint after you trace around it with a small spacer washer.

Either way I'm sure is fine, but I think it's just up to the person who wants to have a go at making the rib structure.

matt

Matt....Thank you , It will be an honor. (I'll do my best). Given that Paul has volunteered the varnish, (I've seen his work in person and WOW are we lucky!) and you are doing the neck, it makes sense to me to have the prep work done this side of the pond and have the details worked out on your side. They say "plug in where you fit in" Mostly just want to play with some folks ,violin making   I'd be happy to make the form and get ribs on it.Or any thing that needs doing. :)  Looking forward.....

James thanks for diving in on the mold and ribs.  Would it be helpful if Jim sent you his blueprint to work from?  Or perhaps somebody could print off and send you a sized print of Addie's outline?  After we have a rib structure completed, you could draw the plate outlines on some paper and send those along to whomever wants to start on the plates.

I'm going to get back in touch with Roger later today or tomorrow to work out where to send the wood.  So if anybody is up for starting work on the back or belly, just call it out.  We can start to get shipping addresses sorted out through the PM feature.

Here's a quick look at where the project is so far:

Wood Donation- Roger Hargrave

Varnish- Paul Belin

Patterns/blueprint- Addie and Jim Bress

Label and certificate- Addie

Mold and rib structure- James M. Jones

Case or bow - Will L

Scroll/neck - myself

Fingerboard - ?

Back:

Joining and rough in - ?

Outline and rough arch - ?

Purfling and final arch - ?

Graduations - ?

Belly:

Joining and rough in - ?

Outline and rough arch - ?

Purfling and final arch - ?

Graduations - ?

ff's - ?

Bassbar - ?

Box assembly & neck setting - ?

Setup - ?

Fittings & strings - ?

So there's a roughed in list of the steps I think that would need to be done.  I tried to break it down into parts that aren't overly long, to try and encourage folks who want to do a bit to jump in.

~matt

Well this should be fun .... If possible for the form it would be nice to compare the prints from Addie and Jim to make something of an informed choice. CT scans are very accurate, but given that the Subject has a V shape in the cross section of the CC Bouts and there seems to be some Over All Length questions having more info than less seems like a good go. Addie , any hints on getting a full size print? I can download onto a chip and take it to a printer? Jim would you mind either to copy or send the print for comparison?  

Hi Mike,  Because Kate's blueprint drawing has a copyright and I'm sending the poster in it's entirety, I will send the original.  I'll laminate it first to protect the paper and make laying forms, wood, or whatnots on it easy without risking damage to the poster.  The poster can be passed along to someone else if it's useful.  I would like it if the poster could find it's way home when all is said and done.  You can PM me your address, although I should have it somewhere.

-Jim

So...how are you going to do this...with an ocean in the way?  :blink:

I've used some international parcel services before...it's been pretty reasonable.  We'll work to organize who does the work on what as well, so that airmail shipping is minimized.  Also a single component such as a back or belly would be fairly small, easy to pack safely, and light.

It would probably be nice to have a final assembly/neck setting person in the UK/EU though.

~matt

Matthew

I have some very special wood that would serve nicely for this group build... perfectly cut and straight, Bois de Rose and Malagasy Ebony. Both are suitable to make fingerboards and fittings from. This wood is from my special stash and I'm willing to donate it.

I only knew Neil by correspondence but given the people here who are involved with this project I feel compelled to donate these materials...but ONLY...if they will be used on this build. He helped so many people. I will give to this project and this man's memory if I can.

If the material is not needed I would like to wish all involved a special Thanks for their generosity. And to Neil's family, my condolences.

Both the Madagascar ebony and rosewood(Dalbergia maritima),was purchased legally here in the US if there are concerns. However I have no paperwork other than the purchase invoice from a US wood supplier. These woods may not be suitable for international shipping.

Edit:

I checked with the company who I purchased the wood from and they do not ship this wood outside the US. Anyway, Best of luck to all involved. I look forward to seeing the finished violin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

I'm in for the raw, blank (not fitted) ebony fingerboard, and raw ebony nut blank - an Aubert bridge - and a set of standard quality ebony tailpiece, chinrest and pegs. and a saddle ebony blank.

Oops - Looking around I see that I'm out of chinrests, but I do have some decent chinrest hardware if needed.

Just let me know.

Is 'standard quality' parts cool? I never went in for the most expensive things I could find - just standard parts.

If the highest quality things are needed for this build then - sorry!...

Cool?

Well...

I'm in for the raw, blank (not fitted) ebony fingerboard, and raw ebony nut blank - an Aubert bridge - and a set of standard quality ebony chinrest and pegs. and a saddle ebony blank.

Looking around I see that I'm out of chinrests, but I do have some decent chinrest hardware if needed.

Just let me know.

Is 'standard quality' parts cool? I never went in for the most expensive things I could find - just standard parts.

If the highest quality things are needed for this build then - sorry!...

Cool?

Craig, that sounds great.  I think ordinary hardware and fittings sounds fine.  If you want to just hold onto the nut, saddle, bridge and pegs, perhaps you can ship those to whomever volunteers to do the final setup (which will probably be in the UK)

Regarding the fingerboard, perhaps there is somebody in the USA who would volunteer to have the blank shipped to them and then carve the fingerboard down to dimension & then ship it over the the UK to get glued to the neck. 

Thanks, Craig

~matt

Just an update: still waiting on wood to arrive from Roger Hargrave.  I've noticed anything from outside the UK has been taking a while to get here, my last Kremer order took close to three weeks after they shipped it.  Anyway, if the wood isn't in by this Monday, I'll get in touch with customs and see what's going on.

~Matt