German violin? ID from ebay

Now I bought a violin! :P

It is likely that you say as last time "worthless"

I paid $ 500, hoping to hear a good violin, I have found on $ 500 only Chinese violins that look like they are made of plastic in Tel Aviv.

I just want it to look and play better than them.

Not a big expectation :rolleyes: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-4-4-VIOLIN-/201697584498?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wjcpTN%2FG%2FNw4BikmopuAe%2FYLo2k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Good luck! When do you get it?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! When do you get it?

Thank you,  I believe that at least two to three weeks. 
I'd love to get information about the violin if someone can give me, the seller knows nothing..

I suppose it's the "usual junk", but the question is if someone could tell me anything beyond that  :)

Thank you,  I believe that at least two to three weeks. 
I'd love to get information about the violin if someone can give me, the seller knows nothing..

I suppose it's the "usual junk", but the question is if someone could tell me anything beyond that  :)

From what I can see, it's German (rather then Austrian), but not a circa 1900 Dutzendarbeit.  The pegbox isn't blacked, the button is broad, the scroll is fully undercut, the back is one-piece, and the corners appear to be mitered rather than clamped, cut, and filed.  The edgework is nice, too.  I'm wondering if it's a Mittenwald verleger fiddle from around 1860.  When Jacob shows up to look, perhaps we'll learn more.

The pegbox isn't blacked, the button is broad, the scroll is fully undercut, the back is one-piece, and the corners appear to be mitered rather than clamped, cut, and filed.  The edgework is nice, too. 

Sorry to say, but you've got nearly everything wrong (except button and one-piece back, two points ;) ).

Here we see a nice example of Denglish (mind the Pegbox thread), where all grammar is wrong and nobody can understand anything (willingly?)

The   Violin    has   on  repariert cracks.

I don't believe in "The seller knows nothing", too. As far as I've noticed, he sold some hundred violins over the years.

Sorry to say, but you've got nearly everything wrong (except button and one-piece back, two points ;) ).

Here we see a nice example of Denglish (mind the Pegbox thread), where all grammar is wrong and nobody can understand anything (willingly?)

The   Violin    has   on  repariert cracks.

I don't believe in "The seller knows nothing", too. As far as I've noticed, he sold some hundred violins over the years.

I do not believe he wants to hide something from me, he said it was a violin that he himself won an auction and just sell it.

I think that it's none of my business.

The thing that might interest me is why he could not give me information if you claim that he understood the violins and knows things that he does not tell..

I asked for information, he did not give me information
So I turn to the Forum to learn  :)

David has another proper violin. This one is - if I recall correctly - to have a cheap violin for when he teaches beginner students. (Right?)
For this purpose (almost) any violin with a proper setup will do just fine.

The question is only how many unkown cracks etc there are, and how much it will cost to get it to a playable point.

3-4-500€ on ebay surely is a gamble. However, I made dumber - and costlier - gambles than that before. :)

Again, it would probably not make it in Jacobs shop - but to mee it looks like something that can become decent for its use.
30-50$ in new strings, maybe the same for some new fittings (they look a bit tired) a new bridge and maybe sound post for again 30-50$. Lets say 150$ in parts, plus whatever your repair guy wants to set it up. Unless you do it yourself.

^That's right.  And the pure at heart don't suffer as much as he is...

Practically anything would be good enough for his task of playing to little kids bouncing off the walls.  On another classical violin website people are always raving about very inexpensive Chinese violins from a couple of sellers on ebay.  I would have gotten one of those just to see.  My own favorite violin is Chinese, I think, imported about 15 yrs ago and some good craftsmen seem to have had a hand in it.  I think output-wise China now is was Germany was 100 yrs ago but maybe a little more precision in general and minus the 100 yrs of abuse.

...I have two Yita instruments I bought out curiosity and for fun a couple of years ago.  I think they are great for the price.  I use the violin as my outdoor violin.  It is a bit heavy and doesn't sound great (too hollow?), but I don't mind the sound (much better than 'dead'). And I actually quite like the viola.  I think with professional tweaking it would be really quite nice.  Even the super-cheap bows they came with are better than my old student bow.

... Even the super-cheap bows they came with are better than my old student bow.

Ten years ago there was a well-known soloist on the other site saying a bow she tried that costs $50 in China "played better" than her Hill bow.  If you're working cranking out massive quantities and doing that work by hand it seems to me you're going to get really good at it.

You know, for what it's worth, Chinese bows and violins do fairly well. I think you're right in citing examples where people have left favorable reviews about them. But... when time comes to decide on a master violin or bow, many of them would have to be thrown out the window...

Bollocks (mind the Pegbox thread),  :P  Try copying the photos, and examining them in Photoshop at magnification just short of pixellation, etc.. :)  Are you saying that it really is Austrian rather than German, or that there's black paint in the pegbox that I missed, or that the scroll flutes stop at six o'clock (when they clearly don't), or what??  I feel that, for a newbie here who probably couldn't hot-glue an open seam yet, David did all right, although the seller likely a right weasel is:lol:

I was watching a youtube video on the Stentor factory in China and was impressed that they actually hand make the violins, and at how fast the people get at their jobs. I noticed there was NO talking or water bottles to stand around and discuss politics!

It's China, there is no discussion about politics.

Ever! :D

Big Brother Deng is always watching.

Bollocks (mind the Pegbox thread),  :P  Try copying the photos, and examining them in Photoshop at magnification just short of pixellation, etc.. :)  Are you saying that it really is Austrian rather than German, or that there's black paint in the pegbox that I missed, or that the scroll flutes stop at six o'clock (when they clearly don't), or what?? 

Ei verbibbsch (mind the german dialects), that's what I heard say this violin B)

Beside that there are much more identification points, I don't need no photoshop to see that the inside pegbox is black as coal (this could be Mittenwald, too, of course), that the rib corners are flat and pressed together by clamping (never MW), scroll fluting doesn't stop at 6, but at 7 or 1/2 past, deep and irregular plate flutings, purfling, screw driver antiquing, varnish, shape of ff and scroll etc.etc., so I hear clearly the accent.

I don't need no photoshop to see that the inside pegbox is black as coal (this could be Mittenwald, too, of course), that the rib corners are flat and pressed together by clamping (never MW), scroll fluting doesn't stop at 6, but at 7 or 1/2 past

post-55791-0-05259300-1477502113_thumb.jpg

post-55791-0-35455400-1477502187_thumb.jpg

post-55791-0-07919100-1477502258_thumb.jpg

Dirty, yes, blackened, no.

post-55791-0-72963400-1477502381.jpg

post-55791-0-62220300-1477502375_thumb.jpg

post-55791-0-64876000-1477502369_thumb.jpg

post-55791-0-12948200-1477502362_thumb.jpg

Some plate-rib relief and sharp enough edges to make the whole thing arguable.  

IMHO, the thing is not a classically disgusting 1900 milled-out Dutzendarbeit.  What it is requires more discussion,. :)  

There is no Need to rub the OP's nose in it!

Oh, dear! Jacob made a joke:lol: [Returns to whetting her pattern-welded Viking broadsword (named "Gramr") in the hopes it may someday be as sharp as her Dotanuki]1

1.  Anyone who can tie this back to what Jacob said (through the circuitous pathways of Wagnerian mythology-hint, hint) gets 100 extra points  ;) .