German violin? ID from ebay

German violin ID

Hi, everyone,
I bought a violin on eBay at 300 euros and I'm not really sure the purchasing was wise :( ,
I thought that this violin is be better than the Chinese violin at 300-400 euros and saw that he was no cracks - but the fingerboard detached from the violin, he will have a new bridge and new sound post, also new strings and has already arrived  to more than 500 euros after the set up,I want to know what do you think- the usual junk as saying "Jacobsaunders"?
Or is it cute German violin that worth the amount of money?

on the label - "Johann Uhlrich Fichtl in Mittenwald 1763" - have not found any information about him.
Thanks in advance

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a cute german violin, but there are so many of them out there that value is low. In this range it is all about sound. If you like it, and it sounds and plays like you want it to, it is not a bad buy. I would also prefer a 100y old german to a new chinese, as long as we are talking about ebay-violins in this price range.

German violin ID

Hi, everyone,

I bought a violin on eBay at 300 euros and I'm not really sure the purchasing was wise :(

If you're not really sure, then the purchase was unwise. But now, to quote Clint Eastwood from that "Dirty Harry" movie, "The question you have to ask yourself is, Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?" ;)

Fichtl was a family of good 18th century Mittenwald/austrian makers, as usual this poor box has nothing to do with them.

To get it into a halfway playable condition you'll have to invest 2, 3 or 4 times the sum you paid for it (without shipping, taxes, custom fees etc.). After all you'll have an instrument of a very low grade of trade violin, Dutzendarbeit or whatever names were given to it here. Better than a chinese?

Edit: Morgen, Jacob - reading MN while breakfast?

Edited by Blank face

Will it be really evil of me to ask whether it is possible to cancel the deals a few hours after I sent the "Buy Now"?
I did not win the auction. This is regular buying.. :(  :unsure:

It is important for me to hear your opinion if it is not good of me I can not cancel the deal

Will it be really evil of me to ask whether it is possible to cancel the deals a few hours after I sent the "Buy Now"?

I did not win the auction. This is regular buying.. :(  :unsure:

It is important for me to hear your opinion if it is not good of me I can not cancel the deal

If you paid already, you can contact the seller and try to explain that you did change your mind and (kindly) ask for cancellation. If you didn't, you should contact the seller and tell him the same thing (also kindly). If he is reasonable one, he can cancel  the transaction. If he insists on payment, you can forget the payment and get the appropriate prize from eBay.

The more I look at this, we've seen far worse Ebay buys. It at least looks like it could be made into a playable instrument and probably doesn't need any repairs to the body or pegbox.

The problem is that even with that, it will cost a lot (Jacobs number is probably in line) just for a new board and basic set up. In the end you will have over 1K in it, and for that amount you could have had a well adjusted and probably better sounding Chinese instrument.

But I've seen instruments like this sitting in shops with 1K price tags, well set up.

The question now is what instrument I can buy? , In a local store all the instruments under 500 euros a terrible sound. I played quite a few old instruments in good condition at the same price that sounds much better. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

I thought about the following instruments:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/geige-Nr-5-mit-Zettel-Nicolaus-Amati-/232087819656?hash=item3609831588:g:tEkAAOSwwpdW8WOS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nr-46-geige-mit-Zettel-seraphin-uhnensis-Venetijia-ann-1742-/331966551074?hash=item4d4abf9422:g:zC8AAOSwezVWvy-O

:rolleyes:

I sent a request to cancel the purchase, the violin has not been sent yet so I hope there will not be a problem.

How lucky are you? I think they are both in the same ball park as the first, maybe the 499 one is the best of the lot, but you should still count on a couple hundred more for bridge soundpost, other stuff. Do you have a shop that can/will do the set up work?

I know its tough when there are no good shops around, I used to be in that situation. Here in the US we used Shar, they did a good job supplying decent equipment to more isolated places. I'm surprised there isn't more in te aviv.

The prices of instruments is very high in all Israel, where there is a high VAT to traders and a lot of taxes.
If you go to luthier in Tel Aviv and ask for the most inexpensive violin (made in China), he will ask you to pay NIS 4000-3000

There is a very old luthier in Holon (the periphery of Tel Aviv) that I know through my teacher.
he is very cheap in relation to others and doing a great job but - it does not have a studio (he does everything in his house) he can not give receipts and still a lot of good players with expensive musical instruments that I know are going to this person.
even local Musical instruments stores send him to violins for set up.
He has no instruments for sale - he just doing repairs and making set-up for strings Instruments.

So if I find a suitable violin I have this man :D 

This might be an entirely ridiculous suggestion, but given the apparent premium cost of buying a violin in Israel...would it be possible to take a flight to, I don't know, Vienna, and go to a real violin shop (or six) and play some violins and get something that works for you and go back home?  You get a nice visit to a musically-important city, eat some awesome food, say hello to Jacob Saunders, and get a violin that you choose by actually playing it.  I wonder if the cost of the trip would be about the same as the extra you'd pay at home, but you'd have a real selection.  And all those amazing pastries...

The question now is what instrument I can buy? , In a local store all the instruments under 500 euros a terrible sound. I played quite a few old instruments in good condition at the same price that sounds much better. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

I thought about the following instruments:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/geige-Nr-5-mit-Zettel-Nicolaus-Amati-/232087819656?hash=item3609831588:g:tEkAAOSwwpdW8WOS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nr-46-geige-mit-Zettel-seraphin-uhnensis-Venetijia-ann-1742-/331966551074?hash=item4d4abf9422:g:zC8AAOSwezVWvy-O

:rolleyes:

I sent a request to cancel the purchase, the violin has not been sent yet so I hope there will not be a problem.

Both listings came from the same seller and in both I found "ships to Germany", so I am not sure that you can buy one of them, taking into account that you are not living there.

Both listings came from the same seller and in both I found "ships to Germany", so I am not sure that you can buy one of them, taking into account that you are not living there.

There is an option to ask the seller about shipping to Israel because it offers international shipping.
Delivery will cost me 35 euros

This might be an entirely ridiculous suggestion, but given the apparent premium cost of buying a violin in Israel...would it be possible to take a flight to, I don't know, Vienna, and go to a real violin shop (or six) and play some violins and get something that works for you and go back home?  You get a nice visit to a musically-important city, eat some awesome food, say hello to Jacob Saunders, and get a violin that you choose by actually playing it.  I wonder if the cost of the trip would be about the same as the extra you'd pay at home, but you'd have a real selection.  And all those amazing pastries...

That's what I did with my violin bow. :rolleyes:
I was on vacation in Italy and I checked a lot of violin bows after I could not find anything matches to my budget is israel.

I bought a fantastic bow from a man named walter Barbiero
The violin bow cost me 2500 euros
When I came to Israel everyone told me that this kind of bow is sold in Israel for at least 3500 Euros ;) 

http://www.walterbarbiero.com/joomla/it/archi/moderno/violino

* I bought a silver mounted, not gold..