Sign in to follow this  
frdoug

Josef Deulin Violins

frdoug   

Does anyone have any info on a Detroit Maker named Josef Deulin? I just picked up one of his handmade Fiddles on Ebay for about$700.00 USD? I do not have acces to a list of makers. This Violin has had one owner since 1930. It is patterned after a Gudagnini.

JamesPV   

You might want to search the archives of this board for his name and the words "Golden Strad"--a model Duelin produced or adapted in the 30's (regraduating imported instruments, etc.). As I recall Al Stancel and others responded to a question quite a while ago about those models. Also, Elderly Instruments (www.elderly.com) has had some of his instruments from time to time. Someone there may have more info. Good luck.

Sean   

I happened to have owned a Josef Deulin when I was about 12 or so. Perhaps it wasn't a good example of his work, but if I remember correctly it wasn't a very good fiddle. I soon moved onto an (adequate) 19th century Saxon fiddle that I still use as a backup when my good fiddle is in the shop.

Sorry for the bad news--just calling it the way I saw (heard) it. And perhaps I hadn't acquired one of his better instruments...