Sign in to follow this  
H.R.Fisher

H.R.Fisher

post-6473-0-91254300-1474251438_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-79356500-1474251622_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-82546100-1474251804_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-61717500-1474252027_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-23600200-1474252216_thumb.jpg Archiving my recent pegbox post to the contempory makers gallery. My latest creation.I welcome your helpful comments.

Thanks for your consideration.   Henry

Here are pics of my most recent completed vso. I welcome your critical/ helpful feedback.I get lots of 

applause from the uninitiated which is nice but is of not very beneficial in helping me  improve my craft.

As always, Thanks for your consideration;   Henrypost-6473-0-93881400-1477146248_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-43143000-1477146420_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-38828900-1477146468_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-82637400-1477146520_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-83792700-1477146702_thumb.jpgpost-6473-0-05606600-1477146625_thumb.jpg

Since you asked for a critique...

The top of my list is that the edges of the plates (side view) look extremely thick, and perhaps the rib height is low too?

The scroll chamfers appear to be excessively rounded off, which contrasts with the relatively non-antiqued appearance. 

The varnish work and shading look nice... but on the back it looks like the varnish gets heavier right around the end block, where normally it would be the most worn off.  Could be the lighting, though.

The top trebel C-bout curve doesn't look smooth; gets too flat in the middle.

Something I think most of us struggle with:  consistent purfling miters and clean-cut grooves, especially in the spruce.  

Overall though, a pretty decent job.

Thanks Don for your helpful critique. Yes, edges are a bit thick,4.5 to 5 at c-bouts .I think I should have rounded them more bringing the ridge line in and down a tad.                                                                                  

The rib hgt is 30mm at the button and 28mm at the neck heel,is this beyond acceptable parameters?                    

As for the scroll chamfer,I get it, If I were antiquing it this would be ok but being a new instrument the chamfers should be more crisp.                                                                                                                                              

The heavy appearing varnish at the end block I think is just a lighting reflection coming from the plastic cup it is setting on,unless we are not seeing the same thing.                                                                                                

C-bout,yes I can see it now,not as flowing as it could be.                                                                                      

Well I am going to continue to work toward perfection. I have on my bucket list to make a violin that would be  recognized by the pros,but being beyond three score and ten years, time may be my worst competition.

Thanks again for your helpful response,                       Henry

hey, looks good, I was just going over some old sugar threads from years ago while compiling some info for someone. You were one of the guys I was explaining stuff to, is that sugar ground?

yes Jezz, I darkened this violin with natural walnut stain  [Black walnuts I gathered and put them in a small jar with water for a few weeks] and than I roasted brown sugar and used it for my sealer. I only used two coats of brown varnish and done a little shading with tube oil paint mixed with linseed oll and than a coat of clear varnish. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. It actually looks better in real life than on the PC.I just used my smart phone for the pics which doesn't do justice to it.

Here is a project I have done this winter when I had not much else going on.As an amateur, being self taught I really don't have any market for my instruments.So far I have been giving them away,one to each of my seven children,some to grand kids and friends. This gets to be a drain on my finances. But I've been smitten with a compulsive disorder known as strad-a-virus the symptoms being,[ I Just want to make another violin]. So I decided rather than buying expensive wood from tonewood suppliers I would go to a local specialty sawmill and see if I can find something that would be suitable for a violin. I found a piece of flamed maple for the back,that looked pretty nice[not book matched] but ok and a  piece of mahogany for the top. Both pieces for the exuberant price of 25.50. Than for the sides,  the  tailpiece,FB and chin rest [all home made]I used the wooden base of an old easy chair. For the bridge, pegs,nut and saddle I used a piece of hard maple I had left over from a previous project. The brass rings on the pegs, I purchased from amazon[50 for 5.00] the FB bracket from IVC 6.50, tail gut 2.00, Set of dominants 52.00,the laser design cutting at my sons shop 40.00. A grand total of 131.00!            I'm a little nervous about the kiln dried wood but I had a good time making it.

Apologies for the long rant and   my  amateurish Postings,I hope I don't insult the dignity of the more accomplished makers on this forum.

20170127_183913.jpg

20170127_183929.jpg

20170127_184020.jpg

20170127_184055.jpg

20170127_184215.jpg

20170127_184126.jpg

20170127_184307.jpg

20170127_184319.jpg

Here is my latest  and hopefully last winter project.   I welcome your constructive critical comments. In looking at the photos on my PC I already noticed a few discrepancies that I hadn't noticed before. The A peg is a bit out of kilter and there is a bogger on the top of the right F-holeIMG_6695.thumb.JPG.c2b530049066c329a456df5516cfb401.JPGwhich I have now removed. 

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

IMG_6707.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

Hi H.R.,  I'm not real comfortable giving criticism as I think I still have too much to learn to be flapping my jaws, but I'll say what I see in hopes of a return criticism when I finish my next.  The bass f-hole looks a bit more open than the treble side.  On the back there's a lot of what reminds me of scraper marks that are exaggerated by the varnish.  I find the marks distracting and they take away from the attractiveness of the back.  The outward sides of bridge feet look high to me based on what I'm used to seeing.  Take all my observations with a grain of salt, and congratulations on finishing another nice violin.

Cheers,

Jim 

The woodworking looks good, particularly the scroll.  The varnish looks like you got some strongly colored varnish on the wood before it was really leveled out with a clear undercoat.  Or a stain on the wood?  Varnishing is the hardest thing for me... too many ways to go wrong.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Jetson said:

Your latest creation looks great. The previous violin shows a mahogany top and i was wondering if  that sounds similar to spruce.

The mahogany top is much different than spruce,not very loud but a nice soft pleasing sound, Real nice to play without annoying everyone else in the house.

Here is my most recent creation. Take a look and give your most critical evaluation. MN is the only helpful resource I have to help me improve my craft. Positive complements are encouraging and appreciated but that's not what i'm fishing for. It takes a lot of nerve as an amateur to post my work here but as mentioned I need your input to know where I'm at or where I'm going.

Thanks for your consideration                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Henry

violin_080.JPG

violin_081.JPG

violin_086.JPG

violin_088.JPG

violin_090.JPG

violin_094.JPG

violin_097.JPG

Hi Henry,

Looks like your best yet!  In the profile pic (3rd pic) it looks like you increased the rib height from the bottom corners to the bottom block.  Looks a bit odd, but its probably just a picture illusion with the lower bout being closer the camera.

-Jim

16 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Hi Henry,

Looks like your best yet!  In the profile pic (3rd pic) it looks like you increased the rib height from the bottom corners to the bottom block.  Looks a bit odd, but its probably just a picture illusion with the lower bout being closer the camera.

-Jim

Yes Jim; I noticed that too on the pic, The actual dim .is 30mm at the bottom and 28.5 at the neck.

11 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

I like looking at your latest creations! What kind of varnish did you use on this one? Very nice.

I used a sugar seal than a few coats of clear spirit under joha colored oil varnish from International violin co.

Hi Henry, this violin is pleasing to look at, I like it. It has a more graceful touch to it. The varnish is nice. All I would suggest is to get the wood/ground  darker before the varnish goes on. Not an easy task on the spruce, I wish I could suggest something. Maybe someone here can.  A darker ground under that red would add some interest to the overall impression.