Sign in to follow this  
Michael K.

The "Messiah" Strad has arrived in Cremona 300 years it was made.

I was at the opening of the exhibition.

Interestingly, they had to make a special showcase with a different lighting system for the Messiah, upon specific request of the curators of the Ashmoleam museum that otherwise would not have loaned it.

It's always nice to know that I am in good company in criticizing the usual display system of MdV ;)

Leaving the controversy aside, will be really nice have available for a few months this violin close to home.

This time the compliments are due to those of MdV for diplomatic work carried out, which took six years to convince the Ashmoleam to allow it to come back to Cremona for its three hundredth birthday. B)

Are there any instruments exhibited that one otherwise doesn't get to see?

Not sure I understand the question, but all instruments usually exhibited can still be seen.

My criticism of the display system are limited to the lighting system and the height from the floor of the showcases (you will need a very long neck to appreciate the scrolls if you do not exceed the meter eighty in height ....).

Of course, the museum has many instruments that are exposed only occasionally, but the "big names" of the collection are all always exhibited.

My criticism of the display system are limited to the lighting system and the height from the floor of the showcases (you will need a very long neck to appreciate the scrolls if you do not exceed the meter eighty in height ....).

Here are the official plans for making a periscope out of a milk carton. :)

periscope_instructions.gif

Here are the official plans for making a periscope out of a milk carton. :)

periscope_instructions.gif

Cleaver idea, I'll have to build one, since I am under the meter eighty tall and I'm tired of rise up on my toes like a dancer.

I will send the idea to those of the museum, they could provide it as a gadget to visitors, perhaps in an assembly kit. :D

Cleaver idea, I'll have to build one, since I am under the meter eighty tall and I'm tired of rise up on my toes like a dancer.

I will send the idea to those of the museum, they could provide it as a gadget to visitors, perhaps in an assembly kit. :D

The museum store could also sell high-heels (although I personally would only wear them with formal evening attire). ;)

This time the compliments are due to those of MdV for diplomatic work carried out, which took six years to convince the Ashmoleam to allow it to come back to Cremona for its three hundredth birthday. B)

Yes!

That would no doubt make a fascinating story in its own right.  I hope we'll eventually hear some of the details.

Good Idea David! I will try this way to see the Scroll from the Messiah and futhermore from your winning viola just steps away.

But I am affraid it ends up in the way bellow when carry in a empty milk carton wich have clear visible holes.

post-1262-0-75769000-1474052493_thumb.jpg

Good Idea David! I will try this way to see the Scroll from the Messiah and futhermore from your winning viola just steps away.

But I am affraid it ends up in the way bellow when carry in a empty milk carton wich have clear visible holes.

Geez, it seems like one can get arrested for just about anything (or nothing) these days.

Case in point: It is now illegal to smoke cigarettes on the Oberlin campus, but it's still legal to consume alcohol, fornicate (with some restrictions), or ride a motorcycle wearing shorts, without a shirt or shoes, and without a helmet.

What, my viola is still in the museum?? I thought they would have thrown it away by now, or at least hidden it out of sight. :D

There will be a "study day" in Cremona about the Messiah on the 9th October with speakers which will include John Topham who first dated the wood of the Messiah correctly, and will expose the evidence accumulated since, inextricably linking its wood to other violins from the Stradivari workshop.

link here:

http://www.museodelviolino.org/en/evento/lo-stradivari-messia-torna-a-cremona-study-day/

http://www.ebay.it/itm/SCALA-SCALETTA-SGABELLO-3-GRADINI-ALLUMINIO-1500163-VALEX-/262527697730?hash=item3d1fdec342:g:n-sAAOSw0fhXidhZ

I had the oportunity to examine the Messiah and other instruments of the Hill collection under.... direct sunlight...  They were in the Ashmoleum Museum in a room with a retractable roof, that was opened...  I gave a look on the instruments and warned the museum about that it was quite bad for the instruments and that "would never happen in Italy!!!".

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the Messiah should be visiting Paris, and not Cremona!!!!

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the Messiah should be visiting Paris, and not Cremona!!!!

I suppose it is because those who think that the Messiah was born in Paris have remained a minority...... :ph34r::) 

Geez, it seems like one can get arrested for just about anything (or nothing) these days.

Case in point: It is now illegal to smoke cigarettes on the Oberlin campus, but it's still legal to consume alcohol, fornicate (with some restrictions), or ride a motorcycle wearing shorts, without a shirt or shoes, and without a helmet.

What, my viola is still in the museum?? I thought they would have thrown it away by now, or at least hidden it out of sight. :D

I think this may be a method of cutting down the enrollment of dummies..................

You right David.

I will  take a photo from your Viola. it´s on a nice Place.

Actually, I'm not very proud of that viola, and was frankly quite surprised when it won the Cremona Competition. If I remember correctly, it has kind of a strange "soaked in" look to the varnish, perhaps reminiscent of Pressenda varnish, which I don't happen to care for very much. But it was all I had to send at the time, so off it went.

Another amusing little tidbit is that when they called to inform me of the results, they fully expected me to be present at the awards ceremony the following day. So I dashed around looking at flight schedules, and found that I might be able to make it if I could get home to pick up my passport and pack, plus drive to the airport, all within a half hour (which was impossible). :lol:

Perhaps they were under the impression that Michigan was a short train ride away. ;)

Short time  from I subscribed on this forum, I visited Cremona and  M d V.

I was surprised to see a Roger Hargrave cello and a David Burgess viola, both winners.

Then I realised I was reading an imporant forum- Congratulations to both.

Regards

Tango

Actually, I'm not very proud of that viola, and was frankly quite surprised when it won the Cremona Competition. If I remember correctly, it has kind of a strange "soaked in" look to the varnish, perhaps reminiscent of Pressenda varnish, which I don't happen to care for very much. But it was all I had to send at the time, so off it went.

Another amusing little tidbit is that when they called to inform me of the results, they fully expected me to be present at the awards ceremony the following day. So I dashed around looking at flight schedules, and found that I might be able to make it if I could get home to pick up my passport and pack, plus drive to the airport, all within a half hour (which was impossible). :lol:

Perhaps they were under the impression that Michigan was a short train ride away. ;)

What?

Don't  you have a private jet?

I thought you were a "star", but now I'm disappointed.