Sign in to follow this  
Greg F.

Age and origin of old bow

Hi all,

Any replies regarding this old bow are welcome (including "it's a piece of ****").  Wood looks to my untrained eyes to be pernambuco (I can see some "crosshatching").  Length including adjuster is 74.3 cm.  Weight (with old hair) is 56 g.  Mounts are silver as is old wrapping.  It is branded (I assume ficticiously) rather weakly A. Lamy Paris (some letters are missing so this is a guess).  The head looks rather delicate (to my eyes) and elegant (I'm easy to please).  The head is camphered.  Color is brown.

The adjuster has silver bits held with pins, but the heel plate looks to be unpinned (or maybe they're well concealed?).  It is generally round, but the section with the wrapping and a little beyond is octagonal.

German?  French?  Other?  Pre-WWI or later?

My "investment" in this bow is so little that no answers can damper my enthusiasm for it.  I plan to rehair it and am hopeful that it will perform well (in my newbie hands).

Thanks in advance,

Greg

post-29472-0-13621100-1473821791_thumb.jpgpost-29472-0-75076100-1473821794_thumb.jpgpost-29472-0-17419200-1473821800_thumb.jpgpost-29472-0-23834800-1473821804_thumb.jpgpost-29472-0-80947400-1473821808_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg,

I can see clearly a pin located assymetrically in the heel plate.

Is the heel plate silver, too, or nickel?

The adjuster with it's "simple" collar could be a later addition.

IMO it's a nice french pernambuco bow early 20th century (?), showing all french features, probably not a real Lamy, but that's a bit beyond my qualification. ;)

I guess, it's worth to ask someone like Raffin.

I think it's just an almost semi-circular scratch ....

I would say the fittings are not Lamy. Interestingly the adjuster is pinned,the heel plate is 2-part - all looks quite nice but the pearl eye is too big for either Lamy, the ferrule isn't right, and the adjuster definitely not.

But it looks pretty interesting.

I would say the fittings are not Lamy. Interestingly the adjuster is pinned,the heel plate is 2-part - all looks quite nice but the pearl eye is too big for either Lamy, the ferrule isn't right, and the adjuster definitely not.

But it looks pretty interesting.

Thanks Martin,

Would you say French is likely?  c. 1900?  Something else?

But that's the place where I would expect the "assymetrical located french pin" to be B) ....somewhere it has to be.

How do you see that the heel plate is divided? In my eyes it looks like one part.

But that's the place where I would expect the "assymetrical located french pin" to be B) ....somewhere it has to be.

How do you see that the heel plate is divided? In my eyes it looks like one part.

I checked the heel plate with a loupe in good light, but unfortunately the scratching on it makes it impossible for me to definitely see a pin.

Also, it is two piece (there is a faint line of demarcation visible in the pic but it is clearly visible in hand with a loupe).

Thank you both for your insights.

There are a number of valuable bows in the upcoming Tarisio auction, so I checked some over for fun.  I thought the head on lot #153 was somewhat close to my bow.  What do the knowledgeable members think?

Here's a view of mine for comparison.  

post-29472-0-55124200-1474224812_thumb.jpg

Here's a view I forgot to show:   the weak brand.   I found something reasonably similar (frog, adjuster, location of brand) on a French bow in Skinner auction #2892B, lot 239.  

post-29472-0-92874900-1474302426_thumb.jpg

So maybe mine is a well done copy?  It is on the light side, but after cleaning the old hair (I haven't decided yet where to have it professionally rehaired) it plays well.

It's rather fun seeing what the internet has to offer on old bows and I came across a Christie's auction (4/28/10, lot 85) that has bow with similar looking frog and very similar adjuster.   

The internet is offering much misleading, wrong attributed stuff with replacement parts etc.. There's no other way to find out more IMO as to show it to a reliable expert in real life

The internet is offering much misleading, wrong attributed stuff with replacement parts etc.. There's no other way to find out more IMO as to show it to a reliable expert in real life

If one comes near I will do so.   Until then, I'll have it touched up and play with it.

I took your advice (and didn't wait for one to come "west").  So far the results are interesting.  The bow may turn out to be more valuable than a player of my limited caliber needs.

What does that mean?  Everyone can benefit from better equipment, unless you are saying it is not better, just more valuable?

1.  Mounts are silver as is old wrapping.

2.   It is branded (I assume ficticiously) rather weakly A. Lamy Paris (some letters are missing so this is a guess).  

3.  The head looks rather delicate (to my eyes) and elegant (I'm easy to please).  The head is camphered.  Color is brown.

4.  The adjuster has silver bits held with pins, but the heel plate looks to be unpinned (or maybe they're well concealed?).  It is generally round, but      the section with the wrapping and a little beyond is octagonal.

5.  My "investment" in this bow is so little that no answers can damper my enthusiasm for it.  I plan to rehair it and am hopeful that it will perform well (in my newbie hands).

1.  Did you have the metal tested at a shop to determine which type of metal was used?

2.  If the branding is weak it will become weaker with use - be careful.

3.  Lamy had a good teacher.  Let's assume the stick is a Lamy until you are told differently.

4.  Long ago early 20th century the screws and eyelets were hand turned then vs modern machine turned.  Lamy could of been present during both eras, I'm not sure.  Yours looks new so it should fit any modern bow eyelet but stop turning if the threads don't want to match.  If that happens you might have something there imo, though unlikely sir.

5.  61 or 62 gr. would be better weight wise for a guy player but maybe 56 gr is nothing to sneeze at either.  Maybe a delicate/petite lady player may want that bow one day.  

What does that mean?  Everyone can benefit from better equipment, unless you are saying it is not better, just more valuable?

Rue,

If you heard me play you would understand (or at least sympathize).  Here are the tips of 5 cheapie bows that I generally use.  One is amourette and I'm pretty sure that 1 or more of the others are pernambuco.  Only one has a brand (which I assume is "fake").  In my hands they produce a reasonable sound.

post-29472-0-76178200-1476400883_thumb.jpg

Greg

Rue,

If you heard me play you would understand (or at least sympathize).  ..

Greg

I think we all need to value ourselves more...