Maestronet Forums

Perfect wood?

Stavanger

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not perfect, not far from it!

Holy $%^&*!  That maple with the small knot in the center is incredible.  I opened this thread after really giving some thought as to what to me makes a great looking back.  Transparency, chatoyance, and the illusion of depth.  I know those qualities have some overlap.  Good color according your taste which I think is a moving target.  I tend to like the red side of brown.  Maybe more red then others like but that could be the cataracts.  Eventually that will be fixed and my color preference may change.  So my conclusion of a great back after a night of serious pondering is a great varnish and application.  Now you show me wood that will cost me another nights sleep. :)   Simply beautiful.

Thanks,

Jim

Edit: Wish I had a whole log of that stuff!!

And the perfect wood I had with me at the hospital, signed by my friends visiting me!

This is the BEST back I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i was to try to select something to come next in my preference it would not be about the flame. Split would be important. What concerns me most as I view these things is texture!   I want maple to be hard. stiff and brittle  in texture. I  do not want it to be like a hard cheese or like plastic  High density can be fine but  it needs to cut crisply under the knife. Ideally I would like very tight growth almost like nice bridge wood. Ideally I would also be looking for something with open pores,This is what I am looking for above the look of the flames....a bit similar with the spruce....I have plenty of AAA graded by someone else who sold it to me wood but it is very boring stuff....these days I find more interest in the so called lower grades of cut

This is the BEST back I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i was to try to select something to come next in my preference it would not be about the flame. Split would be important. What concerns me most as I view these things is texture!   I want maple to be hard. stiff and brittle  in texture. I  do not want it to be like a hard cheese or like plastic  High density can be fine but  it needs to cut crisply under the knife. Ideally I would like very tight growth almost like nice bridge wood. Ideally I would also be looking for something with open pores,This is what I am looking for above the look of the flames....a bit similar with the spruce....I have plenty of AAA graded by someone else who sold it to me wood but it is very boring stuff....these days I find more interest in the so called lower grades of cut

Interesting and important comment. Unfortunately I cannot see a wood dealer letting you test the wood with a gouge before buying. Although maybe I'm wrong if you are going to buy a log there would be plenty of off cuts around to test. Anyway, great comment. 

-Jim