Maestronet Forums

Maestronet not safe!

Peter K-G

I had to reload the original Windows No.7 - and no more problems.

Go figure!

ct

WindowsXP was, for me, the last actually GOOD version of Windows.  After that, things went rapidly downhill.  When "Vista" came out, I bought a new computer and paid $$ to get the OS downgraded to XP.  Eventually they stopped supporting it, and I cried.  Now I use Windows 10 and grouch about it...

There are some quick fixes depending on the error message.

1. The easiest is to check that your pc has the correct time... otherwise the security certificate may expire.

2. Otherwise  uncheck the "Enable HTTPS Scanning" option in your Anti-virus software

3. Otherwise delete cert8.db file which may have been corrupted.

These fixes can be found using an internet search depending on your error message and browser.

The warning, when genuine,  seems to be a feature of Windows 10. I get it on my Windows ten computer, but nothing on my Windows 8 computer.

That said, there have been viruses and adware around for a long time, which mimic Microsoft warnings, and eventually try to scare you into purchasing some sort of "protection software".

But the site may have been corrupted a bit, since in this post, I was unable to use the "quote" function, and also the "copy and paste" function.

This message is caused by a Windows browser plugin called "Smartscreen". It has a notorious history for giving "false positives" and making it difficult to website owners to correct the issue if they are not using a browser with the plugin. I am a bit shocked that Miscorsoft has not yet corrected the difficulty for site owners to get the problem resolved if they do not use the Microsoft product.

You can disable it in the Windows 10 Edge browser by clicking on the ... in the upper right, go to Settings, Click on Advanced, and turn off the "Smartscreen" setting.

In concept it is a good idea. Microsoft keeps a database of malicious files. Every time you download something from the internet, Smartscreen checks with the database and will block the download, or a web site that contains the download.

On the negative side, this lets Microsoft track everything you have accessed on the internet, and some of the error-prone logic it uses to determine if something is malicious has cause substantial financial hardship to ecommerce sites that have fallen victim to it.

Unfortunately maestronet.com and it's software IP. Board is not so well secured, this is why the domain has been listed as unsafe in a database that Smartscreen reads. The unsafe message is to be considered as a real treath, there has also been a lot of russian lettered threads started lately. Our passwords are also free text to sniff when we log in. Wonder how long the site can exist as it is now. Admins should take actions and hire professionals.

The entire internet is not safe, Mircosoft is a division of the military pretending to be a private company, 10 is an INSANE intrusion of privacy anyone knowingly using it is probably also insane and or is probably to trusting, apathetic, suffering from cognitive dissonance, did not READ the service agreement and does not give a crap about their own personal privacy nor the privacy of their fellow citizens, Which at this point there is none, and of course the crickets chirp in the bleachers while the totalitarian march goes on...

I suggest at least listening to the very first part of this where he READS the service agreement that I assume "you" did not read?

I've forwarded this thread to Glenn Hunt, our board hardware/software expert.  If you ave trouble with this issue in the future, please PM him (ghunt).

I don't have a problem, but the site hosts malicious software and possible viruses due to vulnerabilities on server side.

Tell Glenn to force https (on all traffic) and implement a captcha in login windows. This should at least stop robot software to auto start threads and make maestronet users passwords unreadable when we log in

Peter

I get it to, but only in the last few days. I have had windows 10 for over a year, so why is this warning popping up now?

Because the site is blacklisted, due to what I posted above. Fortunately Windows 10 smartscreen tells about it and warn you. It's not a so called "crappy" W10 Edge problem. Other versions, OS, browsers just don't know about the problem.

I don't have a problem, but the site hosts malicious software and possible viruses due to vulnerabilities on server side.

Tell Glenn to force https (on all traffic) and implement a captcha in login windows. This should at least stop robot software to auto start threads and make maestronet users passwords unreadable when we log in

Peter

I like the https suggestion. Nevertheless, I use Chrome and just now switched to Explorer - no issue with either browser running on Win10. But as you suggested the issue is with the server.