Sign in to follow this  
Stavanger

Just arrived in the mail... Hardanger fiddle

This is a nice amateur made instrument, though probably the tailpiece and fingerboard were bought in. Condition seems very good. The label seems rather grander than the instrument, but Hardanger labels are pretty much impossible to add after the fact, so I would think it's original.

The back looks like it might be poplar - is that likely?

Good find!

I've restored a fair number of these, and this one looks to be very nice. You'll probably have to do something with the pegs. I've been putting the small sized wittners in for the understrings. It makes them tuneable!

I have never seen one of these before.  Why are there 8 pegs, but only 4 strings showing at the tailpiece?

There are four (sometimes five) understrings that you dont play on, they just resonate with the instrument.

figure_1.gif

(Picture: hfaa.org)

This is a nice amateur made instrument, though probably the tailpiece and fingerboard were bought in. Condition seems very good. The label seems rather grander than the instrument, but Hardanger labels are pretty much impossible to add after the fact, so I would think it's original.

The back looks like it might be poplar - is that likely?

It came with a evaluation written by luthier Bjørn Wibe in 2001, and his words were pretty much like yours. An amateur make; but in very good condition. No cracks or damages. He thought the tailpiece and fingerboard in ram/goat horn and mother of pearl were taken from a  older instrument. 

I would assume they did not import tonewood in 1906, so if it is poplar-family it would be aspen. (the only poplar-family tree that grows here.) 

Alder? 

That's the prettiest one I think I have ever seen.

Thank you. Workmanship is nice, but like mentioned by Martin Swan, probably not a professional maker. According to an earlier evaluation, the maker was a carpenter by profession.

Condition is however very nice. I do not think it has been played very much.

Very nice fiddle. Congratulations! How much did you pay for it?

Thank you. It costed me about 750€.

Wow!!  I had not enlarged that picture, but when I did, it looks amazing!  Thank you, Cailin and Stavanger, for explaining.  One more question, please.  Are the "understrings" tuned to specific pitches?

Salve might have an opinion ?

Ordering Unknown instruments over the Internet is risky

Acoustics can vary heaps just like any normal violin

This looks good , amateur

Helland and RØstad are my favourite

I charge $6500 Aussie

Who's a professional maker of Hardanger fiddles? There aren't any that I know of. It's a very good price.

There are many contemporary professional maker, and there always have been. 

I don't mean to be rude about the instrument - the price seems fair - but it is very crude. Good antique Hardangers made by recognized professional makers sell for up to 30K Euros, and the level of workmanship is equal to that of the most skilled violin-makers.

I've been putting the small sized wittners in for the understrings. It makes them tuneable!

I do the same - without them, your average Hardanger recital involves 30 minutes of playing and 40 minutes of tuning!

However, it's difficult to know what to do when the pegs are handmade and decorated - in these cases I prefer to leave alone, though Dave Golber's website shows a very clever system of fine tuners for the sympathetics fitted to a traditional tailpiece 

http://www.dgviolins.com/images/Body_bass_side.jpg