Sign in to follow this  
Jose Catoira

LED strips for UV Box

I have just finished building a UV Box and went down the usual route of fluorescent tubes and a mix of Actinic/UVC lamps for curing varnish and tanning wood that I have been happy with in the past.

My question: Is someone familiar with the new LED uv strips and are there wavelengths to suit our needs?

Don't mean to hijack your post, but can you tell me more about the Actinic bulbs and the UVC bulbs?  What length do you use?  What wattage?  How many?  I've been considering buying the "Violin Kit" from Solacure and using a disco ball rotating motor to increase coverage.  Intuitively I would have to agree with Michael about the power output of LED's.

Don't mean to hijack your post, but can you tell me more about the Actinic bulbs and the UVC bulbs?  What length do you use?  What wattage?  How many?  I've been considering buying the "Violin Kit" from Solacure and using a disco ball rotating motor to increase coverage.  Intuitively I would have to agree with Michael about the power output of LED's.

I wasn't familiar with actinic lights, but after a little searching it seems like they are near-UV lamps for aquariums and coral. My understanding is that UV is between 100-400 nano meters, divided further into UVA, UVB, and UVC. The actinic lamps are 420 or 460 nm.

I tried the SolaCure kit and was disappointed. The bulbs are very powerful, but if you aren't careful they will create uneven tanning. I also found them to be really hot, which made cooling my lightbox a challenge. I concluded that I would need 16 SolaCure bulbs to effectively tan a cello. That would be prohibitively expensive, and I'd need an air conditioner to keep the temperature down at that point.

I've been using medical grade high output UVB bulbs and I like them. In my cello box I have eight 4' bulbs and six 2' bulbs. I usually tan for 2-4 weeks.

I have also used UVC, but I feel like the tan is more on the surface, compared to the deep shine the UVB gives. UVC is also very dangerous- like you will go blind with short exposure kind of dangerous. I have a safety switch which cuts the power to the lights when I open the door.

MD

Michael,  

That's interesting about the Solacure,  did you rotate the instrument via a motor or anything?  Even with the ballast outside of the UV chamber things got too hot?  Did you run it in Very High Output mode or High Output mode?

Thanks.

Michael,

That's interesting about the Solacure, did you rotate the instrument via a motor or anything? Even with the ballast outside of the UV chamber things got too hot? Did you run it in Very High Output mode or High Output mode?

Thanks.

I think the SolaCure bulbs could work well if you're willing to build your system around them. Dropping them into my existing system didn't work well.

I had the ballast mounted on the outside, running four 4' bulbs. I think I had the Sun Horse ballast wired in High output mode, but I don't recall for sure. The cello was hanging about 4-5" away from the bulbs.

The closer the bulbs are to the wood, the faster they tan. That's why I built my box to have the lights quite close to the instrument. At that distance you have to worry about uneven tanning with the SolaCure bulbs. So to use them, I'd either have to add more lights to tan evenly and quickly, or I could build a new box and put the lights farther away. With the lights farther away would it actually tan faster than my current setup? I don't know, maybe.

I also decided that I'm not that interested in tanning faster. The 2-4 weeks it takes is not lost productivity, because I'm working on the next instrument. Fundamentally, I have a box that is built and paid for that works well, and the benefit didn't seem to be great enough to get me to change.

MD

Standard black lights... basically UVA...will cure a coat of varnish in under 24 hours. They are safe and inexpensive.

Try using 2 sets of bulbs. I will get some of the LED's and test them.

Joe

Standard black lights... basically UVA...will cure a coat of varnish in under 24 hours. They are safe and inexpensive.

Try using 2 sets of bulbs. I will get some of the LED's and test them.

Joe

Even though we use our light boxes for both, I find that tanning wood and drying varnish are quite different propositions. The amount of light you need to dry varnish pales in comparison to tanning. (Pun intended) :)

MD

Even though we use our light boxes for both, I find that tanning wood and drying varnish are quite different propositions. The amount of light you need to dry varnish pales in comparison to tanning. (Pun intended) :)

MD

and UVA has little tanning effect