Sign in to follow this  
Mathguy12776

Is it safe to have a violin shipped in this weather?

I will be buying a violin soon, and the only way to get the violin I want is for it to be shipped to me. I live in the South East United State, temperatures are generally around 90-100 degrees in the hottest parts of the day and the humidity is comparable to a rain forest. Is it safe to have an instrument shipped in these kinds of conditions? I am well aware that the 2 most dangerous environmental factors affecting a violin are heat and humidity. 

I will be buying a violin soon, and the only way to get the violin I want is for it to be shipped to me. I live in the South East United State, temperatures are generally around 90-100 degrees in the hottest parts of the day and the humidity is comparable to a rain forest. Is it safe to have an instrument shipped in these kinds of conditions? I am well aware that the 2 most dangerous environmental factors affecting a violin are heat and humidity. 

The cheapest insurance you can buy is—over night delivery.  Maybe this is called one day delivery by some carriers, but you get the picture—you do not want it bouncing around in the back of a truck for a week  or two days.  ;)

Waiting on one from England sent on Friday Fedex International Priority.  Supposed to be delivered today, but no updates or sign of the viola.

Let you know how it goes.

DLB

When it is this hot, next-day or no ship. Some varnish might be ok, some will not be, and if it sits in a hot truck all day long, all bets are off. 

The biggest enemy of a violin during it's journey from seller to you is the "delivery man". I have been to my local UPS so many times and every time I am there, I see people deliberately toss big boxes and they laugh...

I shipped a fiddle to the East Coast a week ago, and it arrived fine. But I've always taken precautions along the lines of what Duane mentioned, like specifying next day delivery, which will reduce the chances of it sitting around in a hot truck. The violin was also inside a case, with the case packed inside a well-insulated box, and this combination of shipping and packing has seemed to be a decent strategy,  when I checked by putting "memory" thermometers  and hygrometers in with the shipped instruments.

Oh, one other thing:

Require a signature upon delivery. Otherwise the instrument could spend half a day on someones  porch, in the sun, before they get to it.