Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

Heading to Ventura County , CA. on business for all of next week.  I have a hectic schedule, but would love to do a drop in and visit someone's shop if they're in the area.  Let me know if you're game.  Progress slow as usual, which will come to a screeching halt at the end of February when I finally get surgery on my right wing.  My son is threatening to melt me down to harvest all the titanium pins to sell when I accumulate enough metal. :blink:  Here's "lefty" as of a couple of days ago.  I've started prepping the neck block last night.

-Jim

5a6b2ff5d7387_Violaribassycomplete.thumb.jpg.cd9e544f1b4222002f863f580426d3fb.jpg5a6b300c1ca05_Purflinggrooveonplates.thumb.JPG.9b8298901f53f191994435a964d7ffef.JPG

Trying to channel Strad's energy reading by candle light.  OK, power was out this weekend and I couldn't sleep so I was catching up on my reading.  This is Brian Derber's book.  The scroll section is extremely detailed.  I think I'll follow his order of operations for this scroll.

Arm surgery went well last week.  Bicep tendon reattached.  6 weeks with my right arm immobilized in a splint then I can start PT.  Working on the arches now with finger planes.  Nothing picture worthy at this point. 

-Jim

5a9ffd029ab5a_Readingstradstyle.thumb.JPG.59fa230b8997920e2544d11136a85cc3.JPG

47 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

Heal well, Jim!

By the way, I love the wooden sword on this picture! What was it for?

Thanks, I'm doing a little better every day.  The sword is for sparring with my son and form practice.  I gave it to him for Xmas.  Made from quarter sawn hickory with cherry on the handle.  finished with tung oil.  The bottles to the left are old experiment waiting to be cleaned up.

-Jim

Cello wood arrived today from Andreas Pahler.  The back is quarter sawn white willow (Salix alba).  The flames run the entire length of the back.  The neck is the youngest cut in 2015.  I know start counting from the time the wood gets in your hands.  It will be tough waiting for this wood to season before turning it into a cello.  The ribs have matching flames, but have too rough a finish to show up in the pic.

1356780465_Pahlercelloset.thumb.jpg.cad7ef9f63832fbdb7f4c194225c40f4.jpg2070335146_Pahlerwillow_quartersawncelloflames.thumb.jpg.598e747b6f716975a97b75fe1a816d89.jpg

10 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Why wait, Jim? Some of the most valuable fiddles in the world were made with greener wood than that. Ah, don't listen to me. I'm not a patient fella! 

Multiple reasons.  Right arm is just getting healthy enough to participate in light work.  That means I'm about ready for the second surgery which will be worse than the first.  In addition to "Lefty" I have two more fiddles followed by another viola planned before it's the cello's turn.  By that time (cuz I'm slow) the wood will have seasoned some and my arm should be fully healed.  Lastly, I have just enough OCD that I find it very difficult deviating from a plan.  Patience, no problem.  Have to have lots of patience to be into phenology.

Makes good sense to me, my friend. Best wishes for your next procedure! I think you've got the right idea about speed of work, anyway. On a good day my efforts come out looking like Testore. I'll try to blame it on sharing Carlo Antonio's financial woes, and see if anyone lets me get away with that. :ph34r:

18 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Cello wood arrived today from Andreas Pahler.  The back is quarter sawn white willow (Salix alba).  The flames run the entire length of the back.  The neck is the youngest cut in 2015.  I know start counting from the time the wood gets in your hands.  It will be tough waiting for this wood to season before turning it into a cello.  The ribs have matching flames, but have too rough a finish to show up in the pic.

1356780465_Pahlercelloset.thumb.jpg.cad7ef9f63832fbdb7f4c194225c40f4.jpg2070335146_Pahlerwillow_quartersawncelloflames.thumb.jpg.598e747b6f716975a97b75fe1a816d89.jpg

Begs the question: does willow take more time to cure.  I have some curing at the moment and normally would leave new wood (as in date of acquisition) for at least five years while I work through some of the rest of my stockpile.

30 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Begs the question: does willow take more time to cure.  I have some curing at the moment and normally would leave new wood (as in date of acquisition) for at least five years while I work through some of the rest of my stockpile.

Hmm, no idea. I suspect based on rules of thumb for drying wood, 1/4" per year for hardwoods and 1"(?) per year for softwoods is that density is a factor.  The neck block gives me the most concern for drying time because it's really thick and it just feels wet to me.  Whereas the back and belly are much thinner and they also feel like dry wood.  I really can't put into words how a piece of wood feels wet or dry.  I also could be delusional in my impression of dryness by feel.  Maybe I'll have to go buy a MC meter when I think I'm ready  to use the neck.

-Jim

Lefty update:  Had a lazy week following shoulder surgery.  All I managed to do was make 4 sound posts out of 5 attempts, and two of the "successes" turned into violin sound posts (6.5 mm) instead of the target viola sound posts (7.0 mm).  The box is down to lots of detail work for the edges and f-holes.  Same for the scroll, plus the peg box needs to be finished (currently hogged down to bottom of peg holes).  By then I should be in better shape to work on the fingerboard.

The f holes on the Estense G. Amati have very skinny legs.  So while I started from a template from the picture there were quite a bit of adjustments by eye to make it "work".  Treble side (close up pic) is closest to being finished.  Feel free to comment on what you like or don't like about it.  Including any aspects that make the f-holes look non-Amati(ish).  Yes I know there are no nicks yet. :P

Cheers,

Jim

Bass_f_hole_20180619.thumb.jpg.5b14d276d173ef69f51a0f0192933dc2.jpgTreble_f_hole_20180709.thumb.jpg.0983ac82c85eaa13a92438ae17409e4e.jpgScroll_and_body.thumb.jpg.0427d9d46b78c301adf9f105e2e4cd56.jpg

Looks good!

For some reason I always think that the f-holes must be the hardest, most nerve-wracking part of the entire build!

15 minutes ago, Rue said:

Looks good!

For some reason I always think that the f-holes must be the hardest, most nerve-wracking part of the entire build!

Twice as fun left handed!  ;)

41 minutes ago, Rue said:

Looks good!

I feel like f-holes are an area I haven't really learned to "see" yet.  The macro-details yes, but not the fine details that separate one maker from the next with similar f-hole styles.  Any stylistic things I did right are more due to Joe Thrift nudging me in the right direction than my discriminating eye.

11 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

... The macro-details yes, but not the fine details that separate one maker from the next with similar f-hole styles.  ...

I feel better...I can't 'see' the minute differences either...and I've looked (and looked)...