Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

7 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I'm not sure which viola you're making.  The Stauffer was 1615 and I don't believe it has wings.  Got a link or picture?

Ok now I feel stupid! I had to wait until I got home tonight to check what instrument I had actually targeted for my Viola build. Turns out it is the 1615 Stauffer. Upon closer inspection it doesn't have wings, it has what looks like an inclusion and then developed a crack.  I have the "il DNA degli Amati" book that I'll be using as a reference. I'll keep in touch. 

12 hours ago, Mike Spencer said:

Ok now I feel stupid! I had to wait until I got home tonight to check what instrument I had actually targeted for my Viola build. Turns out it is the 1615 Stauffer. Upon closer inspection it doesn't have wings, it has what looks like an inclusion and then developed a crack.  I have the "il DNA degli Amati" book that I'll be using as a reference. I'll keep in touch. 

I like the Stauffer's purfling miters and f-holes better than the 1625.  They're basically the same model, both made by Girolamo if I remember my readings.  The 1625 may have had Nicolo's hand involved.  

What did you do Jim?  Carpal tunnel?  A guy at work has surgery on Tuesday.  

I noticed that the 425 mm viola I made DOES have a deeper voice than the 406 mm viola I just strung up the other day.  Flat, powerful arch on the big one, and high Amati type arch on the other besides.  They do sound much different.  The smaller one may be sweeter, but the big one has more power.

Never heard of the Stauffer.  Just found this:

Ken, that’s a really nice video.  Love the sound, great pics of the Stauffer as well.  

I happen to have carpal tunnel in both wrists, but it’s mild and doesn’t cause much problems for me.  I tore my bicep and tendon.  Thankfully not a complete tear.  Don’t know if I need surgery yet.  Basically my mind and body had  a disagreement on how old I am.  Body won this round.  This round...

My ribs were already bent and just needed to be glued.  So I glued the ribs last night.  Doing so was somewhat comical.  I had a chunk of wood bracing the assembly on one side, while I used another chunk to press the ribs to the form with my hip and clamping the blocks with pony clamps with my left hand.  I don’t think I need to worry about a perfectly symmetrical and sterile viola.:rolleyes:

Jim

5 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

My ribs were already bent and just needed to be glued.

Is that why you're wearing a sweatshirt?

3 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Is that why you're wearing a sweatshirt?

Ha ha, no it just the kind of thing people wear outside the land of perpetual summer.B)

When you mentioned you bent your ribs at first I was thinking you injured them too!lol

I hope you heal quickly! But maybe this affords me the opportunity to catch up a little. I'm working on setting a neck on one of my fiddles, almost there 1.5mm to go. I have done nothing on the viola build but research and have my back, neck and rib wood. I have a couple of repairs I have to do before I can get into the viola. 

A couple of interesting bear claw spruce billets were gifted to me on Christmas Eve (not a holiday related gift).  Both of them are equally wild with completely different bear claw patterns.  One of the billets was camera shy (just couldn't get a decent picture of the figure) so here's the other one.  My next violin may come from one of these billets.

Cheers,

Jim

5a427d7536084_Bearclawspruce.thumb.JPG.f7fb6f499dec096827c175f7aebbf6ee.JPG

That is very cool. I have never seen bear claw that cool.  I bought a billet of curly Port Orford Cedar for a viola.  I may cut it in fours, and make two.  Might have to bend it some for that.  It is VERY heavy, I think I measured it at .53 sg!  Make it thin for sure.  Right now they are 27 - 30 mm thick each.  Should be able to get 12-24 mm.  I saw them sideways on the bench with my MONSTER Ryobi.  Works great.  Quite a pungent smell that isn't that unpleasant, but it will sure clear the sinuses.

Yeah I know, it isn't exactly de rigueur.  But it is cool.

5a42b9810f276_20171226_1555462.thumb.jpg.407cc07cfec61b76b08a34b127c0ff31.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ken_N said:

That is very cool. I have never seen bear claw that cool.  I bought a billet of curly Port Orford Cedar for a viola.  I may cut it in fours, and make two.  Might have to bend it some for that.  It is VERY heavy, I think I measured it at .53 sg!  Make it thin for sure.  Right now they are 27 - 30 mm thick each.  Should be able to get 12-24 mm.  I saw them sideways on the bench with my MONSTER Ryobi.  Works great.  Quite a pungent smell that isn't that unpleasant, but it will sure clear the sinuses.

Yeah I know, it isn't exactly de rigueur.  But it is cool.

5a42b9810f276_20171226_1555462.thumb.jpg.407cc07cfec61b76b08a34b127c0ff31.jpg

I didn’t know cedar could have curly figure. I had to reread your post to make sure the pics weren’t maple.  Very cool looking. An SG of .53 is heavy for spruce, does port oxford cedar have stiffness to weight ratio similar to spruce?  I remember reading about cedar having a darker tone than spruce in general. Could work out really well on a viola.  I look forward to seeing these beautiful beasties take shape. 

My other bear claw billet is even more unique with nearly vertical figure. I haven’t measured SG yet, but In the hand they feel neither light nor heavy.  Not sure how all the figure affects stiffness.   Probably best to just make it and see what happens. 

Have a happy new year Ken!

-Jim 

Finger planes can play havoc with your hands and fingers.

That's why, whenever possible, I use squirrel tail planes, one by Lie Nielsen, other by Lee Valley, and a big one I made myself, photos bellow, it works a bit like a scrub plane.

coda di scoiattolo.jpg

coda di scoiattolo II.jpg

Hi Luis,  Thanks for the tips.  I do have a Lie-Nielsen scrub plane.  Great for moving lots of wood in the early stages.  Love your squirrel plan.  The tail and toe (front) look very comfortable.  I've never made a plane, but I'd like to.  Lee valley sells kits (without the wood) and shows a how to video that makes it look fairly easy to make a 3 piece plane.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=71379&cat=1,41182,46334&ap=1 

There's a wood show here on Jan 5th that Lee Valley will be at.  I'll check out some of their tools.

Feliz Año Nuevo!

Jim (Jaime as a child)

The lee valley booths at the wood shows are great.  They set up a couple of benches and provide most of their line up of planes and other hand tools for customers to test drive at the show.  I'll be sure and check them out.

Timeout from making to make a gouge handle for a new gouge.  No access to a lathe, so I went about it similar to making a neck.  I think if I wanted to I could have made it as symmetrical as if it was made on a lathe, but I saw no reason to get overly fussy and just went by feel and eye.

5a53e66c9dd56_gougehandlewalnutblock.thumb.JPG.763bc7e3c2b4b599f4c123e9197fed58.JPG5a53e6ad3c0c8_Makinghandle.1.thumb.JPG.d7cf7b12ec0ad1da1e20a0cca8294035.JPG5a53e6fac646d_Makinghandle.4.thumb.jpg.25f43e2c4654b0df376d0e54c80d8135.jpg5a53e75c3ad8d_Makinghandle.6.thumb.JPG.12d5d3429a42d98e43f81adadd5e58cd.JPG5a53e766c213d_bentgougewithwalnuthandle.thumb.JPG.968d11ee6733658168ca373ed28323df.JPG

38 minutes ago, violins88 said:

Jim,

where did you get the gouge? The metal part?

thanks.

Hi John,  It's a Stubai gouge from Willock Woodcarving.  They're Stubai's U.S. distributor so you don't pay for shipping from Europe.  On their site it's listed as a 10" Mallet Long Bent Sweep #16-30mm.  http://www.woodcarverswarehouse.com/_e/Stubai_Full_Sized_Tools_10_/product/55malletlongbent/Long_Bent_Sweep_V_tool_Mallet_SPECIAL_ORDER_.htm 

Let me know if you want any measurements from the gouge.

-Jim

4 hours ago, violins88 said:

Jim,

thanks for that. I am looking into making gouges of a special steel, and proprietary steel.

John

That’s what I figured. PM me if you want any geometry details. I like Stubai because they have hard thin steel that holds an edge, doesn’t chip, and is easy to sharpen. A tough act to follow. 

On 1/8/2018 at 3:51 PM, Jim Bress said:

Timeout from making to make a gouge handle for a new gouge.  No access to a lathe, so I went about it similar to making a neck.  I think if I wanted to I could have made it as symmetrical as if it was made on a lathe, but I saw no reason to get overly fussy and just went by feel and eye.

5a53e66c9dd56_gougehandlewalnutblock.thumb.JPG.763bc7e3c2b4b599f4c123e9197fed58.JPG5a53e6ad3c0c8_Makinghandle.1.thumb.JPG.d7cf7b12ec0ad1da1e20a0cca8294035.JPG5a53e6fac646d_Makinghandle.4.thumb.jpg.25f43e2c4654b0df376d0e54c80d8135.jpg5a53e75c3ad8d_Makinghandle.6.thumb.JPG.12d5d3429a42d98e43f81adadd5e58cd.JPG5a53e766c213d_bentgougewithwalnuthandle.thumb.JPG.968d11ee6733658168ca373ed28323df.JPG

That is awesome Jim! I admire u attention to detail and grit.Also...thanks for the tip for key lime.... really hopping to make the trip down , just to see. Hope to see you in June..... you can kick my ass again.... LOL ...

19 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

That is awesome Jim! I admire u attention to detail and grit.Also...thanks for the tip for key lime.... really hopping to make the trip down , just to see. Hope to see you in June..... you can kick my ass again.... LOL ...

Only sparring with one arm, it might be your turn to kick mine. ;)  I'll be happy to have the same arrangements as last time.