Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

You have a lot of work ahead Jim, so good luck with the arching.

When you come to the back, it’s possible to saw off some wedges at the ends to make things a bit easier.
Another thing which helps is a cheap rubber mallet, the sort used for floor tiling. It gives a solid blow without any recoil, and is much less noisy than a wooden mallet. Use some beater gouge with a heavy curve, and the mallet to get off the worst of the waste.

3 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

great idea!

Yes, but not mine. You can see Roger using this setup in the bass blog. Last year I did a group build with Joe T. where I used this method for the back. 

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

When you come to the back, it’s possible to saw off some wedges at the ends to make things a bit easier.
Another thing which helps is a cheap rubber mallet, the sort used for floor tiling. It gives a solid blow without any recoil, and is much less noisy than a wooden mallet. Use some beater gouge with a heavy curve, and the mallet to get off the worst of the waste.

Fortunately, it’s work I like. The back is willow, so hopefully it will be a bit easier than maple. Thanks for the tips. 
cheers,

Jim

On 11/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, Wood Butcher said:

I've done both ways, sawing off a wedges for both the front and back on violin builds or not.  Even though it does remove more wood faster, I prefer the gouge. I think it helps me to see the arch emerge from the wood. The back cuts great. No need for a mallet, although I've never used a mallet for rough gouging so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. I do all my pushing with my legs, with my long gouge handle located to my body at hip level.  Bending the knees slightly steers the gouge out of the cut.

Cheers,

Jim

62C1DE86-7F2A-4BDB-A3F9-294E4ECB083A.thumb.jpeg.5ed0836a2ac482de8cd307dee0d55851.jpegA7BFAD52-EA10-4E26-A0EE-55C1C6D2DE61.thumb.jpeg.ea13df7f0340bfa234418908ca8f5ca6.jpeg

On 11/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jim Bress said:

Yup that’s the man. Here’s another version of the same setup. 
AD3A6BF3-2C30-4949-9652-83D427C8B82D.thumb.jpeg.8fd5fa89960d60f9fe3257ab13ed95f6.jpeg4B6798C1-B578-4792-A2CC-1B210CEDEA4C.thumb.jpeg.68a903c86ab4699cac32bf33a5f0b9e0.jpeg

Those HF clamps are the best. I've had a set for years now that I bought for $2 a piece.