Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

15 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Thank!  Yes, this is the “Tuscan” model. I’ve made lots of cosmetic mistakes, with less than perfect repairs. I’m happy with the functional parts (arching, graduations, neck set), so I plan on making this my new player as I’ve out grown my #1. I guess that means my playing has gotten less bad. :lol:

Do you have a website where I can see some more of your stuff? Any chance of getting a recording of this one when it's done?

44 minutes ago, ANITIX87 said:

Do you have a website where I can see some more of your stuff? Any chance of getting a recording of this one when it's done?

i don't have a website.  I probably won't have one until I retire (again) and can focus making instead of earning living.  I'll post a sound clip when I'm happy with the setup.

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

Ever wish you had just one more clamp?:lol:

73FC75CB-B4F0-46A1-8B78-D745EFE7007A.thumb.jpeg.b1c830ede4fa2f476f1075300cd06e2b.jpeg

You can never have enough. When I worked in furniture repair, we would sometimes run out of clamps at noon and just go home because what else can you do after that. 

When I finish my cello form, I'm gonna double it up like that too, but I'll just use drywall screws in lieu of clamps for the glue. 

42 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

You can never have enough. When I worked in furniture repair, we would sometimes run out of clamps at noon and just go home because what else can you do after that. 

When I finish my cello form, I'm gonna double it up like that too, but I'll just use drywall screws in lieu of clamps for the glue. 

I used screws for clamps for making the bench tops.  This form is 3 layers of 18 mm Birch ply.  The cut outs took off quite a bit of weight, but still has some heft.  I'm going to add a support post that bolts onto the center of the form to use with the pattern makers vise.  Something like what's on Melvin's bench, which is where I got the idea.  

The latest baby has left the cradle.  As promised here a sound clip with my violin instructor giving it a test drive at 1 week old. Recording was made outside with an iphone.  I won't start dinking around with the setup until the sound stops changing.  I'm pretty happy with it now so I may not do more than adjust the tailpiece.

The second photo is the next twinkle in Daddy's eye.  That twinkle could be interpreted as a mixture of excitement and fear (or just allergies).:P  I'm looking forward to a 2 week stay-cation this summer when I actually have time to move some wood.

Cheers,

Jim

test 20200612.m4a

setup.thumb.jpg.a771beab81576e20d5feb73c3e34e2fd.jpg

blocks.thumb.jpg.93301c981476358880ccf229d907d860.jpg

Looks good! Sounds good! I'm glad you've recovered and are back to fiddle-fit form!

Who is this violin intended for? I think you said, and I forgot.

14 minutes ago, Rue said:

Looks good! Sounds good! I'm glad you've recovered and are back to fiddle-fit form!

Who is this violin intended for? I think you said, and I forgot.

Hi Rue, 

From the start, this violin has been for me, and I like it.  My playing has gotten less bad enough that I had stopped playing my #1 in favor of my son's violin.  Now I can stop stealing his. ;) The 1690 Tuscan Strad arching is quite different the 1715 Titian arching I had been working with.  Aesthetically, I find it much more attractive, and with a sample size of 'no statistics possible', it seems to work better for me.

Ha - Got the idea from Melvin! I had hoped to use beech + poplar for mine but the beech I had an eye on was was too short. Going with maple this time around. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Might motivate me to move forward!

25 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Yes, thanks for providing the idea in some long ago thread. :) 

Looks good man. I just started serious progress on my cello, too. I'm going traditional maple. That back wood is spectacular. Are you going to be able to cut the sap wood out of the finished product?

54 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Looks good man. I just started serious progress on my cello, too. I'm going traditional maple. That back wood is spectacular. Are you going to be able to cut the sap wood out of the finished product?

Thanks! I could probably avoid the sapwood in the upper bout, but I may keep it in both depending on the esthetic.  The entire billet measured and SG= 0.59.  Pretty amazing for willow.   The sapwood feels the same as the rest under the plane (no. 6) and taking a couple of small gouge strokes from the rough side. So I don't think the sapwood is any weaker.  You will probably finish yours first. 

6 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

Ha - Got the idea from Melvin! I had hoped to use beech + poplar for mine but the beech I had an eye on was was too short. Going with maple this time around. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Might motivate me to move forward!

The Rogeri(?) Melvin showed was gorgeous!  My beech was barely long enough.  My largest cut-off was three inches long.  I was sweating bullets that I would crack a rib, but they bent really nice.

52 minutes ago, David A.T. said:

Amazing piece for the back. It seems you have thin grain on spruce.I I will follow your post with lot of interest

Thanks. The grain lines are ~14 grains per inch.  I wouldn't consider that close grained for a violin.  What is "normal" grain density for cellos?

Good question. I was usually told by people (wood supplier & Luthier)  that average 2mm wide is good . That 's about 12.5 grain per inch.

I don't know if there is a 'normal' grain.

I just did a check on some  master's cello, and it seems to be possible to do very good cello whatever the grain size is.

I have personnaly access only to wood with wider grain on bout edges, a bit as on the Strad & Vuillaume. 

Wood_grain.png