Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

Damn reflexes.:)  Definitely a cool kid! Elijah? Or maybe that was the name of the bourbon, I'm horrible with names.  I think he beat me in ping pong.  I'm looking forward to the next gathering.  Although my current fiddle is an exercise in "oops!...hmm...I can fix that...carry on...oops..." 

Progress has ground to a halt through Xmas as the workshop has been converted into Santa's workshop.  Here's the current state of chaos.  First time installing heel reinforcement...@$^&#...hydraulic lock...second time installing heel reinforcement...@$^&#...hydraulic lock...third time installing heel reinforcement...Phew! Carbon fiber rod went in without a hitch.

body_and_neck.thumb.jpg.51a2fa302a7e4de614127384a8d208bf.jpg

On 12/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, Jim Bress said:

Progress has ground to a halt through Xmas as the workshop has been converted into Santa's workshop.  Here's the current state of chaos.  First time installing heel reinforcement...@$^&#...hydraulic lock...second time installing heel reinforcement...@$^&#...hydraulic lock...third time installing heel reinforcement...Phew! Carbon fiber rod went in without a hitch.

body_and_neck.thumb.jpg.51a2fa302a7e4de614127384a8d208bf.jpg

I just love the fiberglass!

7 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Dang it, Jim! If the neck stays perfect forever due to that newfangled carbon fiber you put in, how are restorers supposed to keep the lights on?

By figuring how to remove the dang things when the law of Unintended Consequences rears it ugly head. :P

6 hours ago, Ernest Martel said:

Hang some sheetrock!.....;)...

Heck if we were closer, a sheet party would be in order,,,

real violin makers panel their shop walls with aged flame maple any way,,

I'm not real.

Hey! A sheet party better not be anything like a blanket party. :P You can tell I'm surrounded by friends.  Oh look, Jim tripped, let's kick 'em.  :D  I had a 4x8 of sheet rock that I was going start covering that wall with, then my son asked if I could knock a hole in the wall without breaking the rest of the board.  Well sure, but size matters...physics debate...proof of concepts...no more sheet rock.  I occasionally think putting boards on the wall like in BigFryMan's "new shop" thread would look nice.  But what then...I'd have to make a window sill...then my wife would say it looks so pretty I should have some form of window treatment...next thing you know I'm putting a doily under my morning coffee.<_<  Better to just make fiddles, and polish the occasional chunk of steel.

ECF53FC1-DDB4-4672-9CF1-B12880893C6E.thumb.jpeg.b7f06b21b98e627b85b260d8730dae42.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Ernest Martel said:

Haha...Believe me, I wish I lived closer to a fellow builder too. Looks like a nice blade Jim....you make it?

No, just a very well loved (used) blade that I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks.  Made by Jim Crowell. 

Seeing how Jesse is back in cyber-town I’ll show off one of the fine grained tops I got from him a few years back. The subtle bear claw in the lower bout didn’t show itself until the ground went on. I’m quite happy with it. 

C8E38D49-8064-4E7D-B23A-17BD9F469A7B.thumb.jpeg.64c7d0ad89285c42f3577754eac8c549.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

Seeing how Jesse is back in cyber-town I’ll show off one of the fine grained tops I got from him a few years back. The subtle bear claw in the lower bout didn’t show itself until the ground went on. I’m quite happy with it. 

C8E38D49-8064-4E7D-B23A-17BD9F469A7B.thumb.jpeg.64c7d0ad89285c42f3577754eac8c549.jpeg

Oh I like that effect! Glad it worked out. Is it fully varnished yet? Or is it one your currently working on?

Jesse 

49 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Current project. Should be varnished and strung up this spring. Next up, a cello for myself. 

Hey me too! I want to build a Montagnana, but not the typical wide "Sleeping Beauty" model. But the smaller one that Christian Bayon made. 

11 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Hey me too! I want to build a Montagnana, but not the typical wide "Sleeping Beauty" model. But the smaller one that Christian Bayon made. 

I "bought" that poster off Ebay.  Seller never sent it and I got a refund instead. <_<  I'm using the P.G. Rogeri poster. Rounding the outline to remove some of the upper and lower flatness increases the LOB to ~745 mm.  I have a Joseph Filius Guarneri poster from Cremona books, but it doesn't have any cross arches.  This would be my choice if the poster had more details.

Finally getting some varnish on.  This is the second coat. I'm really happy with this batch of sauce.  Looks brown over white porcelain, but kind of purpley-red-brown on wood before spreading out. Why are varnishes so picture resistant?

1636445716_Secondcoat.thumb.jpg.ec99193873b49375a1e93e46dd27029f.jpg

Thank!  Yes, this is the “Tuscan” model. I’ve made lots of cosmetic mistakes, with less than perfect repairs. I’m happy with the functional parts (arching, graduations, neck set), so I plan on making this my new player as I’ve out grown my #1. I guess that means my playing has gotten less bad. :lol: