Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

The Bress Bench

Its coming along but I'm working a violin at the same time. Working on finalizing the outlines of both instrument. If I get few hours a week that would be alot!

"Lefty" setup is finally finished.  It's been strung up for about two weeks and is still opening up and/or I'm figuring out how to properly bow a larger instrument.  Here's a quick sound clip played by my violin teacher that was nice enough to play a viola song without any warning or practice.  I'm pretty happy with it.

G. Amati viola 2019.m4a

10 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

It rings nicely,... sounds good to me. What strings are on it?

I planned on using  Evah's with Larsen or Jargar A, then a set PI's fell into my lap so I used them.  I have no idea how they compare, but I like them.

A little oopsie. I filed one corner back at the wrong angle. This is a very fine grained top, so I had to take pictures and magnify the image to plane parallel to the grain. I used a cut off from the c bout area of the adjacent grain line. The repair was easier than I expected. 

1B3A1061-0C46-44A8-B086-514DA2F85508.thumb.jpeg.80b60260866df837d4f43d7bd5a6f2a7.jpeg6D91BFB0-AD4B-4A2F-A882-31FA9562D1E3.thumb.jpeg.e878d24167bc7a9ce5835c39f05f96ae.jpegE673C7C5-C38D-4EC1-BDA6-623E88F6F019.thumb.jpeg.ca9a6bb061a393abbf2d287573623784.jpeg

11 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Excellent save, brother! 

10 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I've had to make these saves myself.  When done right, which isn't hard, they are virtually invisible. 

Thanks.  One of the many lessons I've learned from Joe Thrift.  If you make a mistake don't waste time getting mad, just fix it and move on.

...The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

F1FB57D5-A961-40DF-97EE-1FBE680C7EB4.thumb.jpeg.cf1d57f54692a7ac1d95bc5d2845cea8.jpeg

On 9/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, Urban Luthier said:

nice!

Thanks!

On 9/9/2019 at 6:10 PM, Andreas Preuss said:

:P

the new emicon for violin makers!

:lol: Don't tell my son I did something modern.  He won't believe you.

8 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

That's a lovely back, Jim .

Thanks, I'm partial to one-piece backs.  I have a few more before they run out and I start into my two-piece stock.  However, I'm replacing all the backs I use with one-piece backs. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:10 PM, Andreas Preuss said:

:P

the new emicon for violin makers!

What?  Oh.  Now I see it.  I was trying to figure out what was in the middle, and now I see it is a plane with a LONG blade.  I didn't even notice the face.  I'm TERRIBLE with faces anyway.

I was also thinking that it looks like mine WHEN I START.  I'm finishing  two violins that just need pegs and set up; a 5 string viola that needs fancy inlays; and an arch top guitar that needs the edge work, then varnish, frets, tuning machines and set up.  All of those things I find tedious, and only do them for an hour or so.

Carving a new back or belly?  I could do that all day long.  That to me is the fun part.  I would have been the grunt man, roughing in stuff for the Master.

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Damn that was close! :blink:

A230BE3E-9C67-4008-B9BF-422B24FD5D88.thumb.jpeg.afd32b883ff24896fe9e378e68956697.jpeg

Oi, Jim, what kind of chalk are you using for bass bars? I find that regular gypsum chalk tends to compact into the wood of the top, and then the chalk won't lay down onto the top wood any longer.