17 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I would have made a thinner cradle if I had a taller bench. ;)

This is a cheap, but good, compromise with lots of manoeuverability.

The block is clamped by the bench press. I modified the adjuster screw to get a better grip.

PanaVise.jpg

On 8/26/2017 at 4:32 PM, Jim Bress said:

Acer ginnala is a new maple for me.  Linden spp.  are also used for purfling, so you can grow your purfling as well. :D  Here's my chunk of Linden.

Looks like that you are a sturdy guy.

36 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Nice color.

Thanks.  It's like a great never to be repeated meal.  My ground, Joe Thrift's varnish (until it ran out), then my varnish on top of Joe's.  Same recipe(ish), different cooks and different colophony.  I remelted the cooked colophony with LO before adding it to the varnish for color.  So I did not treat it as a pigment.  I'm going to bring a small bottle of it to the VSA to give to Joe.  I'm sure we could find a scrap of wood some place if you want to try it out.

-Jim

8 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Thanks.  It's like a great never to be repeated meal.  My ground, Joe Thrift's varnish (until it ran out), then my varnish on top of Joe's.  Same recipe(ish), different cooks and different colophony.  I remelted the cooked colophony with LO before adding it to the varnish for color.  So I did not treat it as a pigment.  I'm going to bring a small bottle of it to the VSA to give to Joe.  I'm sure we could find a scrap of wood some place if you want to try it out.

-Jim

Sounds like fun.

On 8/31/2017 at 2:12 AM, carl1961 said:

where do you get the swivel bracket?

It is a PanaVise base and fixture unit:

https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-437-Heavy-Duty-Fixturing/dp/B000SX8FEW/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1504548436&sr=8-31&keywords=panavise

https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-400-Heavy-Duty-Base/dp/B000SX2JTY/ref=pd_cp_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPAGH42DV89172JR3KSF

Note the adaptations I made to prevent slipping of the fixture head: (i) better grip for more tightening torque, (ii) wrapped heavy duty duct tape around stem for better grip.

On 8/31/2017 at 6:34 AM, Jim Bress said:

Just hanging around waiting for the back to dry...finish line getting closer.:)

Back_drying.thumb.JPG.bb42c04b89e8751db3fcdba424217383.JPG

Looking great Jim! You like? My class fiddle is coming along as well ....scrolls carved , neck mostly set .. been working on varnish too. 

5 hours ago, Janito said:

It is a PanaVise base and fixture unit:

https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-437-Heavy-Duty-Fixturing/dp/B000SX8FEW/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1504548436&sr=8-31&keywords=panavise

https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-400-Heavy-Duty-Base/dp/B000SX2JTY/ref=pd_cp_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPAGH42DV89172JR3KSF

Note the adaptations I made to prevent slipping of the fixture head: (i) better grip for more tightening torque, (ii) wrapped heavy duty duct tape around stem for better grip.

thanks Janito, Awesome, I made one using a bowling ball but it takes up too much room. I like your setup much more convenient.

14 hours ago, James M. Jones said:

Looking great Jim! You like? My class fiddle is coming along as well ....scrolls carved , neck mostly set .. been working on varnish too. 

Thanks Mike.  Yes I'm quite happy with it.  I'm working on balancing belly, rib, and back colors now.  Ribs were varnished too thickly and I spent the time I had yesterday polishing them down to the correct thickness which closely matches the belly in color now.  One more thin coat on the back and I think I'll be done.  Set up nearly finished, just have to lower the nut and bridge tops a little.  String heights already set.  I've had her strung up to pitch and she mostly found her voice after about 30 min. of playing.  Plucked strings have a very long sustain compared to #1.  I'm not sure if that means anything, it's just a very noticeable attribute that I noticed. 

Don't know if you were planning on making the long haul to the VSA.  If you decide to make the trip I still have a guest room for you.

Cheers,

Jim

#2 is Done!  I've had it strung up for a couple of days and I like how it plays and sounds.  Minor varnish touch ups still going on.  I'll do the final set up in about a month or so.  Taking decent pictures was difficult.  Light source and angle has a large affect on perceived color.  I don't know if that's good or bad, but I like it.  Scroll and front pics. are natural light through a window or outside.  Back is under my shop overhead light.

Cheers,

Jim

59b4a9fa8eb4c_2scrollprofile.thumb.JPG.7571d72b7a6fd14d0526c8b7291200b4.JPG59b4aa0bf2ebf_Scrollpegbox.thumb.JPG.7234ecf72d7cec6ff766519a406f6e9e.JPG59b4aa22ca898_2backandribs.thumb.jpg.5ca8d01bb3ced66c527361305d8992ae.jpg59b4aa36a5df2_2front.thumb.JPG.baf473a9420c41c6923dd51fe1962a57.JPG

Thank Rue for the virtual high five.  

Set up is done with the help of my Luthiers to tweak my set up and tonal adjustments.  It's good to know your weaknesses and get help when needed.  I think the final set up can make or break a violin.  A good player helps, that's why I'm not playing in the sound clip.  I'm quite happy with the final product and still two months before Christmas. :D  My helpers putting the icing on the cake were Alan Peterman and Jeremy Yoder.  Thanks guys!

Violin #2.m4a

Jim,

It must be good to have someone play it.  All I get out of mine is noise!  It sounds good.  Violins seem to have an upper and lower register,  like clarinets.  The lower end, and higher up on the strings on the G and D is where I test them the most.  The high end always sounds the same to me.  I pluck them better than bowing; but we aren't making harps are we?  Good job.

Do you ever wish that the instrument would look the same as it does in the best light all the time?  All of mine look (real?) good under some lighting, and under others, the red disappears, the transparency disappears,  they look dull. they look muddy.  Put them back in the good light,  and they are transformed.  Do you ever get that?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I can play, but not well (I'm taking lessons).  Certainly not well enough to push the violin.  My son plays well but doesn't have the experience of playing many violins to express where my latest needs improvement.  Also, because this violin is his Xmas present he has only seen it in it's early stages.  Taking it to a shop to correct/adjust my set up was well worth the cost both in the improved performance and receiving quality critique on where my construction needs improvement.

On varnish:  For my #1 I experimented quite a bit with uncolored spirit varnishes figuring out which recipes I liked and how they performed.  Those samples are lovely, but blonde.  I colored my chosen spirit varnish  primarily with Dragons blood.  Like you describe, it is beautiful under strong light but muddy under weaker light.  I later leaned that my DB had a great deal of very small suspended particulates in it that did not filter out.  I attribute the muddiness to these particulates.  For my #2 there are no particulates in the varnish or ground.  It does look different in different lighting conditions, but I am happy with all it's different looks.  Horribly difficult to photograph though.

I'm enjoying your bench thread by the way.

-Jim

1 hour ago, Mike Spencer said:

Hey Jim congrats on #2 and it is looking mighty fine! From your photos which is closer to the color, the last pic or second to last?

Hi Mike,  The front, ribs and scroll are well behaved under my inferior camera (i phone 4).  My camera turns the back anywhere from amber to red with increased light much more so than I see with my eyes.  If the lighting is poor then I get a grainy crappy picture.  With the violin in hand the back/ribs/front color are a good match.  However, the camera always makes the back look lighter.  Everything except the back is primarily Joe Thrifts varnish. The back has one thin coat of Joe's varnish and the rest is the varnish I made using his instructions. This is basically the rosin/LO recipe from Rogers Bass blog, two cooks removed.  Of course the rosin was different.  I tried taking some better pics this morning.   Then I heard my son moving about so I had to put the fiddle away because he hasn't seen it yet.  Here is my best picture that shows it's "true" color from before it was set up, but after the varnish was finished.

59f5f5fcd3c96_2varnishfinished.thumb.JPG.5b177c4344dadbb893acec55cdbdf88f.JPG

These are the best I was able to get this morning standing just outside for natural light, but out of the light rain that was falling.

59f600600460e_overcastback.thumb.JPG.20e0b9f505080a098c6cd65af369ea62.JPG59f60073156ac_overcasttop.thumb.JPG.ecad9fde7d7ea7b4d61d8d0fc5b08e40.JPG

Doing some furniture work to help me think about the next build.  Was planning on the 1690 Strad violin but the row boat from Italy hasn't arrived yet.  Might be sign.  I laid out some viola wood yesterday.   ...Maybe.

59f8a1d643ec4_Knifework.thumb.JPG.717eff59e575e9d0240b92bd8833fe44.JPG

Laid out to look at or actually drew on it?:) Viola is the next one for me too. I have a nice piece of wood for the maple. I'm looking really hard at mine! Just got to final scrape the scroll, shape  the neck, fit and glue the neck and then final scrape. geeze still a ways to go....

18 minutes ago, Mike Spencer said:

Laid out to look at or actually drew on it?:) Viola is the next one for me too. I have a nice piece of wood for the maple. I'm looking really hard at mine! Just got to final scrape the scroll, shape  the neck, fit and glue the neck and then final scrape. geeze still a ways to go....

Picked out the belly and back wood that I got at the Morel auction a few years back.  Found some matching rib stock and a neck block.  Then noticed some checks on both ends of the one piece back.  Band saw > rasp > plane > inspect for checks > repeat.  After cutting out the the checks still big enough. :)  I have three pieces of rib stock that will work, but not long enough for a one piece lower rib.  I'm going to drop by IV on the way home and see if they have any long rib stock that's wide enough with the figure to match the back.  To answer your question, no I did not draw on it.  I guess I'm a slacker.  :P

On 10/31/2017 at 12:35 PM, Mike Spencer said:

Qoute from another thread: " ...I'm currently contemplating making my 1st viola, brothers Amati 1570 and measures 410mm. "

Hi Mike,

We're on a very similar path where I'm making my first viola with G. Amati (half the brothers) 1625 viola of the same size.  I've lost several nights sleep pondering over and reading about rib/block taper.  My model has a continuous taper from end pin block to tail block.  Your model is probably the same.  After much thought I've decided to do a Strad style taper from the upper corner blocks to the tail block.  Let's keep in touch with our adventures and mis-adventures.  Twice the learning for half the mistakes. ;)

-Jim

Will do but I don't build very fast. I'm sure you're way ahead of me in the thinking department but why not just do the full taper? And I think I miss stated the model/year of what I'm contemplating. I think it's actually a 1620 Bros. Amati it has added wings.

Thinking I do quite a lot.  Building is on a much slower time line.  Just not enough hours in the day for me.  To paraphrase Bruce Carlson, aesthetically no taper makes the upper bout ribs appear too big and a constant taper makes the c-bout ribs look too small.  Very subtle stuff that I was thinking about before I started searching and reading about rib tapers.  I just used Bruce's name as the most authoritative person that wrote about what I was thinking and was able to write about it more concisely than I would have.  He elaborates on rib tapers in several threads.  Functionally, I have found no evidence to support that a slightly larger air volume will make a meaningful difference.  I also have no reason to believe that it will have a detrimental affect on sound.  So just aesthetics.   There was a lot of chatter on the potential benefit to rib height, but that really didn't figure into my decision.  

I'm not sure which viola you're making.  The Stauffer was 1615 and I don't believe it has wings.  Got a link or picture?