Sign in to follow this  
finger

Kevin Lee Luthier ?

Thanks Larry.

Yes, there are lots of very fine makers who didn't finish the various schools.  

I only knew Homer in passing but heard so much about him over the years.  However, I didn't know about the building where makers could hang out.  And I didn't know how helpful he was to young makers.  Glad to hear it.  There should be a little book on him, or a lecture at the VSA, or something.

I, too, would welcome Mr. Lee but suspect he'd like to maintain his mystique.

Homer was a gem! I met him a few times. I have a cello and a violin of his. Some are lucky enough to have a painting of his. Worth much more than his instruments...

I have three of his watercolors, and one small watercolor sketch, all of which, if I remember correctly, I traded a tenor gamba for.  They are landscapes and a small still life, I never could get him to give up one of his incredible quartet watercolors.   Homer was a one-of-a-kind, he could be considered the modern Count Cozio of the current generation of makers that came from Salt Lake City.   He lived large and did everything in a big way, and he looked at his violin making activities like he did his art, if you were interested, he wanted to teach you, and if you knew something, he wanted to learn from you, and he just loved having company in his studio in general, and at all hours too.  I recall once working all night, until 5 am in the morning, on a cello with him. Sometime in the middle of that night he took me out to a Chinese restaurant that stayed open 24 hours so I'd have the energy to keep going. I think he came by his eccentric schedule because of his work with Howard Hughes.  He even taught his mailman how to make violins!  He just loved the art, and he liked to wheel and deal in violins too, with the excitement of a kid trading baseball cards  ( much to the annoyance of another violin dealer in the Salt Lake area).

He might have frustrated Peter, but Peter did have that quartet watercolor hanging in the shop!

When he found out I was a nurse, he suggested that he could get me into the U of U Med School so that I could become a MD and that he would teach me to build violins. That way, he said, I would be able to make a living! That was at our first meeting, at the shop of Gary Vessel, just down the street and around the corner from Peter. Had I known who he really was at the time, I might have taken him up on the offer!

His shop was designed to look abandoned? I get it, to hide the masterpieces of the Golden age within so cleverly and whatever, but really? He didn't in fact buy an actual shitty abandoned building, but had one made? 

7 hours ago, not telling said:

His shop was designed to look abandoned? I get it, to hide the masterpieces of the Golden age within so cleverly and whatever, but really? He didn't in fact buy an actual shitty abandoned building, but had one made? 

did you find the whole documentary?

I noticed the picture in there of him in the Marine Corps in 'Nam, so anything he does is cool by me.  Even the hanging the fiddles in the tree and burning them...   Really look forward to meeting him someday.

That is an interesting preview of The Devil and the Angel and has certainly piqued my interest to want to watch the rest of it. I have always liked watching his videos on YouTube and for some reason I  thought that there was an air of the Addams Family to them. Reading the comment section on his videos shows a mix of praise and putdowns.  I would also like to meet him someday as well as most of the the other world famous people on this site.   :)   :)

Kevin was a really interesting dude. Look at his work-- it's beautiful; the gold leafing and painting are truly well done. The modeling and varnish and workmanship too. I met him twice, for a handshake and a nod, once during my stint at Big P's shop.

Bronwhin and Big P would visit him occasionally-- he was the lesser of the quirky SoUtah genii: Paul Hart being the elder. Pliny and Pliny, if yer a screwball.

There was a kerfuffle once over a tonally advantageous bridge he had tacked some real money onto a (lovely) violin for--

he carved a nice bridge, and then gold-leafed it.

I've watched Mr. Lee's videos for a while now.  At first I thought they were a bit (!!!) campy, but I do admire his sincerity.  His violins look to be very well made although I cannot find a video of anyone playing one.  I would certainly encourage  Kevin as I think the world needs all the folks marching to their own different drum as it can get.

16 hours ago, Streetglide said:

I've watched Mr. Lee's videos for a while now.  At first I thought they were a bit (!!!) campy, but I do admire his sincerity.  His violins look to be very well made although I cannot find a video of anyone playing one.  I would certainly encourage  Kevin as I think the world needs all the folks marching to their own different drum as it can get.

He plays one of his violins (I assume) in one of his videos (at least).

On 9/29/2017 at 5:41 AM, Jeff Jetson said:

Hello Streetglide and welcome to Maestronet. Are you a Harley fan?

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to be so late in getting back.  I have two Harleys in  the garage.  Been riding since I was 14 and got the first Harley -- a '64 XLCH -- in 1968.  Love bikes although I'm getting up in age.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:41 AM, Jeff Jetson said:

That guy is a freak. My only question is where did he dig the pit that he keeps girls in and tosses down skin cream to? It rubs lotion on itself. That dude is fucking weird.

I have been watching his videos for a few years now.  I like his "campy" style.  Also, someone with his,enthusiasm for violin, shoots Barrets and Glocs, and blows stuff up,  Vietnam vet...

Doesn't get much cooler than that in my book.