Maestronet Forums

Canadian bow hair

tango

I haven't used it myself that I know about, but it seems to have a very good reputation. I think in part, because the hair on northern animals is thicker. Similar to leather, the leather from northern animals is thicker and higher quality.

I've used it a good deal. I only ever put it in cello bows.

It's thickish and strong, but for some reason I feel it can stretch a bit more than Mongolian hair. So I tend to rehair a tad shorter with it, something I don't like to do.

I imagine that if I only used Canadian, I'd get used to it , but I use mostly Mongolian hair.

I haven't used it myself that I know about, but it seems to have a very good reputation. I think in part, because the hair on northern animals is thicker. Similar to leather, the leather from northern animals is thicker and higher quality.

I wished it worked that way for humans because unfortunately the top of my head must think I live in the tropics..... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've used it a good deal. I only ever put it in cello bows.

It's thickish and strong, but for some reason I feel it can stretch a bit more than Mongolian hair. So I tend to rehair a tad shorter with it, something I don't like to do.

I imagine that if I only used Canadian, I'd get used to it , but I use mostly Mongolian hair.

I recently had someone rehair my bow with Candian horse hair and my experience seems to confirm yours. I am also not sure if it is as good as the Mongolian/Siberian hair, judging from the quality of sound... But since this is my first encounter with a Canadian hank, I cannot be sure that I will never have a hankering for another hank to satisfy my curiosity. 

Edited by Kenmore M

Here is a link to a study done on various different types of bow hair. It has some great pictures of hair under a microscope, so you can see the differences between the hair and the country of origin.

http://prochownik.ca/Analysis%20of%20Bow-Hair%20Fibres.pdf[/quoteVery interesting! Thanks for posting this.

Here is a link to a study done on various different types of bow hair. It has some great pictures of hair under a microscope, so you can see the differences between the hair and the country of origin.

http://prochownik.ca/Analysis%20of%20Bow-Hair%20Fibres.pdf

Thanks! The only flaw to this experiment is that the number of samples is too small to prove anything. This is better for individual case studies, but not generalizations unless horsehair quality is uniform in grade and region.