Davide Sora's new videos on scroll and peg box carving

Berl Mendenhall

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good workmanship, great skills of using tools.... and absolutely poor acoustical result, as well as the appearance result. Absolutely boring uninteresting varnish, harsh sound, lacking depth and dimensionality. Typical Cremona of modern days. Hope everyone understands that this is my private opinion. 

However I recommend to my apprentices to watch these videos as they are really useful to understand the carving process.

Very good workmanship, great skills of using tools.... and absolutely poor acoustical result, as well as the appearance result. Absolutely boring uninteresting varnish, harsh sound, lacking depth and dimensionality. Typical Cremona of modern days. Hope everyone understands that this is my private opinion. 

However I recommend to my apprentices to watch these videos as they are really useful to understand the carving process.

We do.

I hope you understand that your opinion is not shared by most anybody. Davide Sora is a highly respected maker, a sterling contributer to MN and to violin making in general through his superb videos and criticizing his work on MN is, to put it mildly, in bad taste. Also, the Jury at the latest competition in Cremona seems to disagree with you. 

"private" opinion

Dude.

Opinions are like a**holes. We all have them and most people don't want to know anything about somebody elses, much less see it spread open and displayed on a public forum.

But that's just my opinion.

If you get away from Davide eventually handing you your own ass I'll vote for you as president one day.

Artiom

You are behaving as a troll.

It,s a petty because I guess you have something to contribute.
Don´t forget Davide Sora is the last "Champion" in Cremona.
Are you judging without hear his violins?

Artiom

You are behaving as a troll.

It,s a petty because I guess you have something to contribute.
Don´t forget Davide Sora is the last "Champion" in Cremona.
Are you judging without hear his violins?

I said what I said having listened to the YT recording posted on Sora's channel. Modern Cremona is not a holy cow for me. As well as violin playing competitions, on which the players of the beginning in 20th century, that have a reputation of almost idols, would probably not pass the first round. I wonder why my private opinion has generated so many emotions among some of you. 

I wonder why my private opinion has generated so many emotions among some of you. 

The first thing that comes to mind is that Davide is not allow to enter competition any more, if I read and understood rightly.  It must be a good feeling for him to be able to show up at any or most venues over there and have his way with whatever he wants to do - not many can say that.  The other thing is that he was probably making violins when I was still in high school.  I just turned 50 so that's a lot of years to be around violins.

I wonder why my private opinion has generated so many emotions among some of you. 

The problem with you is that you judge through a recording and recordings are misleadings sources.

You wrote that a player who tested one of your violins played during one hour instead a little minutes to make the record. Should that be important an valuable for somebody?
Well, I lived the same with mine because the violinits liked the instruments. But I feel as a amateur yet and I hope some day somebody call me profesional.

Unverifiable statements should not be writen because it these go to nowhere.

Anyway I don´t lost my faith in you if you demonstrate what you write.

Regards
Tango

"Private"

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Let me try to clarify it for you. 

"I think Artiom, while an adequate maker, is vastly overrated. His violins sound small and metallic. The varnish is too hard and not pleasing to the eye. I don't think violins coming out of the Russian Federation are very good and I don't understand why anyone would think they are. Russian violin making is no longer relevant, and makers from Russia should not be put on a pedestal."

Sound reasonable?

Oh, and I formed these opinions from video clips and information I found on the internet.

"Private"

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Let me try to clarify it for you. 

"I think Artiom, while an adequate maker, is vastly overrated. His violins sound small and metallic. The varnish is too hard and not pleasing to the eye. I don't think violins coming out of the Russian Federation are very good and I don't understand why anyone would think they are. Russian violin making is no longer relevant, and makers from Russia should not be put on a pedestal."

Sound reasonable?

Oh, and I formed these opinions from video clips and information I found on the internet.

If you really think so, you can go ahead and post such comments about my violins. I don't mind))) But give us a link to the record and photo that made your opinion.

some building videos have beautiful background music true. But I love the sound of tools on wood. I like to hear it slice. I only wish there was smell a youtube so I could smell the wood.

But thats just me. I find great peace in just standing and planing a piece of wood and hearing the slice slice. So I think I will continue to watch Davides videos and totally enjoy the no music background sound. By the way there is a mute button on your computer if the sound bothers you. 

Kathy C Croft in ky

some building videos have beautiful background music true. But I love the sound of tools on wood. I like to hear it slice. I only wish there was smell a youtube so I could smell the wood.

But thats just me. I find great peace in just standing and planing a piece of wood and hearing the slice slice. So I think I will continue to watch Davides videos and totally enjoy the no music background sound. By the way there is a mute button on your computer if the sound bothers you. 

Kathy C Croft in ky

One of the many aspect's of David's work that I enjoy ,Shot from the makers frame of reference ,  I noticed that in the Kernov thread , he made a point to listen , as an important step . It's a recurring theme so to speak.

Artiom, ..."All's fair in love and war".... you do have the right to voice your opinion , and so does every one else. Maestronet is in fact a privately owed site, that is open to the public , Much like being the new guy on the block, and going to a block party ,at someones home... It might just benefit your case to find out who's who, before publicly criticizing someone elses hair styles.... 

I appreciate and value the videos and advice given my many of the makers on this site.  I think Davide's input is great, as are his instruments.  I should hope to be at those levels one day :)

As for the A*****E trolls and their opinions, those are easily forgotten and tossed aside.

I am truly saddened when a discussion that began with sharing technique and procedure denigrates to a mud slinging contest.  This is the post that started it out, but others chimed in... making this thread difficult to enjoy.

Artiom; You joined this forum with some information you wished to share, and were met with some skepticism. In all honesty, the "aha!", almost commercial attitude of your first post concerning wood treatment may have caused some of the backlash... but I wrote that off to cultural differences in communication.  After reading who you'd worked with here in Michigan, I was less inclined to be so forgiving (yes. I know him), but I still let things "run".

I know many, many talented and successful makers.  Each have their own approaches/procedures/beliefs.  Some are secretive about them.  Some are not.  A few seem to believe they are the next bearer/discoverer of secrets and/or have Stradivari whispering in their ear.  I may like or dislike these few maker's fiddles, but I usually don't like their company... and I avoid comment when I don't think much of their product.  I guess I'm just polite.

Try it yourself.  My impression is a little humility might be a good thing for you.  This site can be a great resource, but if you think you have all the answers, I doubt you'll get much out of it (and vice versa).

Regards,