Maestronet Forums

Joe Thrift for President

Jim Bress

Yes, Joe Thrift has announced he's running for President as a write-in candidate.  To date he has excepted donations ranging from 25 cents to an entire six pack (major supporter).

Actually I just wanted to talk about his workshop that I attended last week hosted by Bill Mason Violins in Fredericksburg, VA.  This was Joe's first workshop here so attendance was low which worked great for me because I got more one-on-one time with Joe. B)  Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and a great teacher.  The two other attendees were Andrew and Katelyn (married), who are recent graduates of the the Chicago School of Violin Making.  

It's a two week workshop, but I only had the time/money for the first week.  You basically brought whatever you were working on and Joe helped whenever he was needed. Joe is extremely open and willing to share any information he has.  I had my nearly complete #1 and the plates for #2, Andrew was working on a couple of violas.  One of them had an incredible Birdseye maple back, and Katelyn was working on a couple of cellos.   

We basically worked from 9 am  to 10 pm every day and Bill, Elaine, and Cristina (Bill's lead apprentice) kept us fed and watered.  Christina was also a participant whenever she could escape employee duties.  She dose very clean work.

This week Joe is going to be showing his varnish and antiquing methods which he learned from Roger Hargrave.  Then focus on instrument setup.  Wish I could have stayed for the two weeks.  I look forward to going again next year.

Cheers,

Jim

post-58064-0-29274500-1466440138_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-91256800-1466440167_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-46950300-1466440199_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-64604700-1466441140_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-95033100-1466440324_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-70641000-1466440517_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-98812700-1466440783_thumb.jpg

Yes, Joe Thrift has announced he's running for President as a write-in candidate.  To date he has excepted donations ranging from 25 cents to an entire six pack (major supporter).

Would 12 be a Super-Pack?

With Pat Paulsen being dead and all, the write-in ticket is wide open.  

We were just getting started in that picture.  First Joe and I had to learn to push pull together.  By the time the shavings started to get to the right thickness that stand gave way.  Then we ended up screwing in a stop on the the bench and toe nailing (screwing) the rear side of the pear wood block.  The block wasn't very long.  Joe was actually doing it to demonstrate his staining process for the black layers.

-Jim 

All seriousness aside, Joe's going to need a running mate now that his campaign is underway.  He or she will have to be able to hold their own in a jam session and be able to make the occasional beer run.  Not sure what other qualifications will be needed. "Joe Thrift for President" buttons and bumper stickers need to be made up as well.  

Not sure what other qualifications will be needed. 

Per the constitution, the VP needs the same qualifications to be president, which are pretty minimal (thus Trump) i.e.:

One would hope the VP candidate would also be qualified to lead a jam session in case Joe became incapacitated.

I want to thank all of you for your support of my campaign. We're gaining momentum and I believe my campaign has turned a corner. The amount of contributions is overwhelming. I'm up to $2 and a 12 pack of beer. I also have a promise of another dollar. I think with this kind of support the Oval Office is just around the corner. For those of you that haven't heard any of my stump speeches, I intend to turn the Oval Office into the Oval Workshop. I think that desk is large enough for 4 violin makers and a vice on each side. That's just one of my many campaign promises. So, when you go to the poles please remember that a write in vote for me is a vote for all Luthiers all over the world. Help me help you. Vote for me. Thanks in advance for your support and remember to be generous with your contributions and give often.

Your President,

Joseph A. thrift

I want to thank all of you for your support of my campaign. We're gaining momentum and I believe my campaign has turned a corner. The amount of contributions is overwhelming. I'm up to $2 and a 12 pack of beer. I also have a promise of another dollar. I think with this kind of support the Oval Office is just around the corner. For those of you that haven't heard any of my stump speeches, I intend to turn the Oval Office into the Oval Workshop. I think that desk is large enough for 4 violin makers and a vice on each side. That's just one of my many campaign promises. So, when you go to the poles please remember that a write in vote for me is a vote for all Luthiers all over the world. Help me help you. Vote for me. Thanks in advance for your support and remember to be generous with your contributions and give often.

Your President,

Joseph A. thrift

Don't forget you get to redecorate the oval office to your tastes (image snatched from the web).  Might have to check the ceiling height.

-Jim

post-58064-0-33889200-1466602260_thumb.jpg

So, when you go to the poles please remember that a write in vote for me is a vote for all Luthiers all over the world. Help me help you.

Your President,

Joseph A. thrift

I assume you mean polls? Or was that people from Poland, who are many in the luhier community, or perhaps you meant a little North or South of here, where ever here is ? happy-smiley12.gif(I stole VdA's gif, 'cuz I liked it so much)

Your President,

Joseph A. thrift

Is it too much to demand to know if you have a platform?  How do you stand on spider mites in Montana, for example.  I think we have a right to know.  Other than that, we are a-thinkin' you are about as good as anyone.  And we have traditionally low expectations so we'd be just as happy with you. 

Signed,

Sober, for a change, somewhere where the buffalo roam