Maestronet Forums

Back seam opened while Gouging inside

shellyrat

I leaned on my back inadvertently while gouging it out and the seam came open. It is the lower bout all the way to the midpoint. Should I just go ahead and take the two pieces apart or try to reglue the open half. 

I was thinking maybe the whole joint was weak and its it good thing its open now. It is almost done down to 5 mm most of the way. top side is done purfling is in. 

Thanks 

Kathy C in ky

I don't see why you couldnt reglue it. I'd think that you'd have to take the whole joint apart first, and maybe even hit it with a swipe or too of a jointer plane. I've never done this, but it's what I would do, given that I'm not going to throw away a good back if I can save it. Mucho dinero which I do not have lol.

Bummer that your back seam opened up. This can be a tricky repair.

You basically have two options. If you think the joint is good, and it fits together well when you dry clamp it, you can just glue the section back together. Watch out for glue contamination on the outside finished surface. Try to work cleanly and scrub the area after the joint is dry a couple of times to wash any glue out of the pores.

If the joint doesn't come together perfectly, you'll need to take it apart and plane it which is really tricky. I have done this before by building a jig for each half. Take a very flat piece of 3/4" plywood and install setscrews every two inches or so. Then spot glue each half of the plate to its own board, making sure the joint hangs over the setscrews and the plywood. Using the setscrews you can adjust the height of the joint until both sides match perfectly. Then shoot each side with a jointer plane on its side until it fits perfectly. Careful, because material gets removed faster than you think, and if you remove too much it will no longer fit the ribs.

You can then glue it back together either in one nerve wrecking shot, or take out of the jig and glue it one section at a time, like a crack.

Either way, you have the advantage that you can scrape the outside a little if the joint doesn't register perfectly.

Best of luck,

Michael

It happened to me on my first violin attempt. Basically I reglued it without any clamps, but the seam was still visible. I thought about treating it like a crack. But I tried another option, I took the visible old glue away with a razor blade, and put some new fresh glue, and the seam was not visible at all.

But I tried another option, I took the visible old glue away with a razor blade, and put some new fresh glue, and the seam was not visible at all.

You could have softened and reactivated the old glue by applying strips of hot damp kitchen towel on the inside and outside and then clamped the seam closed.

Thank you all. I let it sit for a day because of how mad I was at myself.

it was split clean to bottom corners. not all the way through between the cbouts. I worked in hot water in the cbouts then hide glue. and wiped top clean, for the bottom half I worked in fast tack hide glue . Its all clamped and looks good . Ill cleat it when done with the thicknessing. I learned another lesson for sure, watch your elbows even when its in a carving cradle. :rolleyes:

Kathy C in Ky

A couple suggestions to avoid this in the future. Make a cradle from the foam board insulation at the hardware store. Cuts and scrapes easily so you can make a cradle that supports up to the edge and most of the arch. I'll post a photo when I remember at the shop.

Also, don't end your gouge strokes at the seam. If you're driving down towards the seam and pounding into it with the gouge strokes, them you're asking for trouble. Carry your gouge strokes past the seam and you will naturally avoid the stress on the seam by doing more of a scooping motion. At least that's how I was taught.

Lurker thanks , I have a carving cradle with the foam and cork . I go past the seams and go gently no mallets. I was stupid and leaned my forearm on the bottom full weight while gouging the top part of the back. I heard it and was hoping it was the cradle but it wasnt. I did it out of stupidity. But Its fixed and lesson is learned.

Kathy C in Ky