Sign in to follow this  
classicalmusic

Guesses on who made this violin?

When I was in college years ago, one of my professors, who is quite the performer, played on a very fine sounding violin. He never revealed who made it and it had such a glowing, rich, honey tone quality from low to high. It's a bit of a mystery to me and I would like to find a similar violin to play on. The sound was very intoxicating. Any ideas or guesses?

I would be so grateful if someone could figure this out.

Best,

Nathan

Sorry, I couldn't get better photos... It's the best I could find... When I asked him about 12 years ago, he told me the violin was made for him. I don't know if he meant it literally or he was just giving me a smart answer.

Any information on Valenzano?

Thank you!!

Can't you ask him again?

Or at least narrow it down a bit? What country? What province/state? etc.

Valenzano? Seriously? C'mon Martin have you been celebrating Hib's cup win all afternoon?

IMHO, it looks more like a good modern Del Gesu copy. I can't see any particular signs of recognition of who made it, but it reminds me a bit of the Finnanza's that were being hawked by some big NY teachers 30 years ago.

Valenzano? Seriously? C'mon Martin have you been celebrating Hib's cup win all afternoon?

too much aquavit probably! I am in Malmo rehearsing with Zykopops ....

TBH I only ever saw one Valenzano and it was in mint condition - mainly I remember the varnish and the edges, and it wasn't a DG model. Obviously I need to look at more examples.

It does look kind of new and antiqued now you point it out.

Nathangk, I just thought I'd share a couple of personal opinions. Firstly, I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you who made this violin from the pictures you're posting, unless the owner or the maker come forward. Second, knowing who made it might help you to find another by the same maker, (or commission a new one if the maker is still alive and active), but it's no guarantee you'll find the sound you remember from this violin in the hands of this player. While I do think very good and experienced makers can have a fairly consistant output, in terms of overall quality and certain tendancies in tone and response, I have never found two violins by the same maker to sound identical, old or new.  

Sorry, I couldn't get better photos... It's the best I could find...

And then.......

Here are some more pictures that I hope will be enough clues. I really appreciate the help with this. I know it's not an easy task.

Oh come on. Give us some more "clues." I just know you can do it! ;)

I'm asking some people who know him. If I find out for sure, I'll let you know.

Thanks Michael for this wisdom. It's true each violin sounds different with different people too as well as the bow used will make a different overall sound. I'm well aware of it.

I had a falling out with this teacher long time ago, that's why I don't ask him and when I did know him and asked, he always avoided answering. Most violinists reveal what they are playing, but I'm amazed there is no information on it anywhere and he is a performing artist as well.

I remember loving the sound of his violin very much and even if I can't find an identical. Knowing who made it would be so fascinating to me and at least point me in the right direction.

This violinist went to Curtis and Juilliard about 30 years ago. He owns a Pecatte and Tourte, so I imagine the violin is likely a fine work.

post-23335-0-39008400-1463938957_thumb.jpeg

post-23335-0-35895900-1463938971_thumb.jpeg

Well...you could just give us his name too, if he is performing in public.

Someone might just happen to know what he plays on. That's not a breach of privacy. People often ask 'what violin does Big Name Violinist play?'

Doesn't matter if you had a falling out...you're just impressed with his violin. That's a compliment and lovely! :D

nathangk - Apart from your particular circumstance, I wouldn't say it is unusual for a musician not to share who made their instrument.  There is someone that I know who plays for our local symphony who does not openly share who made the instrument this person plays on and I have to respect them for that even though I'm dying to know who made it.  That's a tough one!

nathangk - Apart from your particular circumstance, I wouldn't say it is unusual for a musician not to share who made their instrument.  There is someone that I know who plays for our local symphony who does not openly share who made the instrument this person plays on and I have to respect them for that even though I'm dying to know who made it.  That's a tough one!

I'm going to guess that the violin is either very very inexpensive...or very very expensive...lol.

Otherwise people are fairly forthcoming if you show genuine interest...

I'm going to guess that the violin is either very very inexpensive...or very very expensive...lol.

Otherwise people are fairly forthcoming if you show genuine interest...

unless its hot :D

I don't want to bother the violinist about it since before they never revealed what it was... This was about 13 years ago...

I thought I'd make this post because as I've learned there is always a chance and these pictures might ring a bell for someone...

The violinist lives near Los Angeles these days.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully something will come up soon from this.

What a mystery violin....