Sign in to follow this  
Húslař

PIRASTRO vs WARCHAL

Have You experiences with comparing strings of this two producers?

Pirastro string are great, before month I discover Warchal - it look very good maded (very precision and detailed work) but I do not know their sound qualities yet... (I only read somewhere that Ametyst and Amber are so good or better than Evah Pirazzi and Karneol as Obligato?)

Thanks for Your comments and reviews!

post-76349-0-77240600-1462303903_thumb.jpgpost-76349-0-27712400-1462303906_thumb.jpgpost-76349-0-20435700-1462304019_thumb.pngpost-76349-0-18300800-1462304026_thumb.png

I have used Warchal strings on my viola for several years now - I particularly like the Brilliant C and G strings. I have stayed with Pirastro Obligato for the D string, and Larsen "soft" for the A string. This is for a viola that tends to sound a bit "bright". This combination of strings is very well balanced for this instrument.

On my violin (a ca. 1800 Austrian instrument with no label) I did not like the Evah strings as I found them too bright and too high tension. The Obligato set is what I use on that instrument. I did try the Warchal Brilliant strings but did not care for them on my instrument. I would like to try the Amber strings when I need to change them next time.

Karenols are on my viola now,  it came with dominants and I think it is an improvement.  (Roman Teller 1970's viola).  I vary with my 1930's french violin,  right now it has Tonicas on it and they are fine,  but I have a set of Ambers waiting for it in June.  I like curly e string (thought it was a gimmick at first)  The other strings have a warm sound with quick response. For the price, it's hard to beat Warchal.  I have a hard time paying more than 50.00 for a set of strings or 15 bucks for a cake of rosin.  I probably shouldn't be such a tightwad.

I'm curious about Warchal Brilliant "Vintage" (I think they are called)...said to be specially formulated to bring more life to older violins.

I've got a very old French violin I've tried every other string/set up on and while some have been pretty good, I'm still looking.

Has anyone tried the Warchal Brilliant "Vintage"?