Sign in to follow this  
Edward Byler

Edward Byler's Bench

My latest one . So far I think it plays great but you wouldn’t want to hear my playing . It just seems very responsive and a very good player thought it had lots of power . I used my usual Plowden type mold but followed the fuller arching of the Luduc and Vieuxtemps . My next 2 that are in progress have similar arching . 

FB1B34ED-79CD-4A4F-B016-E8AF9E75396F.jpeg

E518B13E-5872-41DE-8D7B-3A5B48956822.jpeg

61BBEA47-4AAC-493C-A448-755EA6CA0F1A.jpeg

Thanks Don. I’m not planning on going to VMAAI this year because I am planning on going to Cleveland for the VSA. Some of us on the board didn’t hear that VMAAI was on shaky ground as was talked about on maestronet the other day . There was a little talk of having something different the years that the VSA had a competition because of low attendance but nothing was decided .

On 5/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, Edward Byler said:

Ive finally finished this top that I’ve been carving the last several days but I think I’m going to reject it and build another .I’ve never made a single piece top before and maybe that’s not the problem but it is too heavy to have such a low and weak mode 5 . It is averaging 2.9 mm thick . Maybe the wild F-holes that I loved doing limbered the plate up too much . 71 grams with bass bar . Mode 5 is 355. I mistakenly put the wide grain on the treble side .

F59FC21E-5D42-491A-8474-FF8CEBA32FF7.jpeg

IMG_20190416_150710.jpg

Thanks Thomas ! I don't think I will be able to make it to Tucson this year . We'll see. I'm in Zurich right now hopefully going to visit Cremona next week . I've been traveling a lot this year and have a new granddaughter due to be born over VMAAI this year . On the Amati it was a lot of fun as I've been doing almost exclusively del Gesu models and have another mostly done in the white as well . Christian Pederson kindly sent me an Amati Strad poster which I used for making my mold as well as looking off photos of the Alard. The arching from the poster was not much different than my del Gesu models and Im optimistic it could sound good.