Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Repairing A/E string notch on bridge.

Anybody tried human tissue - like finger nails?  I know I have.  Is there not some resonance issues with plastic, glues, etc?

I'd rather have resonance issues, than to have some luthier's toenail glued to my bridge... No offence ;) 

For the most part, I clean up the bridge notch with a file a little bit for good adhesion, take a few maple shavings, coat them on all sides with glue, and insert them under the string to clamp them in place. When dry,  trim the excess, and widen the notch a bit if needed.

Depending on the situation, it's also nice to insert a piece of waxed paper or aluminum foil between the string and the gluey wood insert, to avoid glue sticking to the string, or impregnating a wound string.

That is exactly what I have been doing for a long time! I have not had any complains to far. I use super glue to glue the shaving.

I use thin plastic foil instead of wax paper.

That is exactly what I have been doing for a long time! I have not had any complains to far. I use super glue to glue the shaving.

I use thin plastic foil instead of wax paper.

Do you then put parchment over the repair?

Do you use the little plastic tube which is attached to the string, after the repair?

The guitar world also uses corian for nuts and saddles (as well as bone, mammoth, graphite impregnated unobtanium etc.), and it comes in all colors of the rainbow so you can match it to almost anything.  It is very hard, consistent, easy to machine, slippery for strings, bonds well with CA and epoxy, and best of all very cheap (or free).  Check with any local cabinet maker and just look around behind their saw for little pieces that are luthier sized.  The soda and CA trick works but I find it to be brittle.  If the wood under the string is compressed instead of cut, you can use a small drop of thin CA which will absorb and make the wood swell a little and reinforce the fibers so it hardens a section much like the ebony insert.  That is the standard treatment I use for cheap bridges from the beginning.

International Violin and other such outfits sell bridge parchments, or if you know a timpanist maybe you can score an old drumhead, but it's got to be real critter and not synthetic. 

I use white glue for parchments, but never at any other time.