Maestronet Forums

Suggestions needed!

tarawa1943

I have a friend traveling to Europe for a month to visit his wife's relatives.  He wants to visit some violin shops in Italy, Germany and the Czech Republic.  His daughter will be trying out some instruments and if they aren't overly expensive, they will purchase an instrument. Can anyone help choose some makers of good instruments that won't break the bank for my friend?  Maestro net member makers would be a plus!

Thanks.

George

Please don't limit the shops to these countries....He will be driving all over, so any of you makers outside of the areas mentioned.....feel free to chime in.

I have a friend traveling to Europe for a month to visit his wife's relatives.  He wants to visit some violin shops in Italy, Germany and the Czech Republic.  His daughter will be trying out some instruments and if they aren't overly expensive, they will purchase an instrument. Can anyone help choose some makers of good instruments that won't break the bank for my friend?  Maestro net member makers would be a plus!

Thanks.

George

Please don't limit the shops to these countries....He will be driving all over, so any of you makers outside of the areas mentioned.....feel free to chime in.

This sounds like a very bad idea through and through. If they are in Germany, then they should visit Jacob Saunders and purchase a decent violin of known origin and reproducible value from a respected expert.  

A month isn't a very long time to travel through several countries in Europe.  And rushing into buying a violin is never a good idea.  But what a great experience.  I can't imagine not going to Cremona.  And I would look for young, affordable makers, since your friends "don't want to break the bank."