The model and f holes - vienna, tyrol, mittenwald or venice?

Just trying to broaden the horizon a little.  If the wood dendro results were to be 20-40 years earlier the list would be twice as much.  Not an expert here Abrinkmanis, just know how to find stuff some days.  

I checked cities/towns before posting.  I made sure for the most part that none would go far from German, Czech, Austria and Tyrol area though if you check places listed you can see where the general area is.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping that Jacob will not comment on that list, it would be a butchery :wacko: .

It's quite understandable, that the owner of a violin is curious about the "who made it" and can't stop wondering, searching, asking or comparing pictures. A dealer has always a comercial interest in this, because a violin with a pre-and surname will always sell better and higher than something unknown or "school of something". I'm sure that everybody here has gone through this, and probably several times.

But at a certain point, one has unescapably to accept, that an exact attribution isn't possible in many cases.

Dear all, thanks for your precious help- yes I was indeed wondering who had made it but it seems extremely improbable to find it out. Strangely enough it sounds rather convincing and this violin was purchased based on sound. There was a beautiful Pawliksovsky to compete with it- wonderfully made, but soundwise a very loud and uninteresting instrument in comparison to this one.
So lets just leave the whole discussion at this point, saying that this violin has its own dignity.
My daughter is happy with her instrument, so am I, and it sounds fabulous even without a name! In july my project Venice Music Master will restart for the second time- where I will stay for two weeks with folks like Gilles Apap, Vernikov, Gutman and others- and 80 beautiful students! So whatever the fiddle is it will just do its job- it will be played. For the rest - thanks and greetings from Venezia!

I'm hoping that Jacob will not comment on that list, it would be a butchery :wacko: .

It's quite understandable, that the owner of a violin is curious about the "who made it" and can't stop wondering, searching, asking or comparing pictures. A dealer has always a comercial interest in this, because a violin with a pre-and surname will always sell better and higher than something unknown or "school of something". I'm sure that everybody here has gone through this, and probably several times.

But at a certain point, one has unescapably to accept, that an exact attribution isn't possible in many cases.

Jacob is welcome to slice em' and dice em' anyway he sees fit to.  I see why he wouldn't want to put a list out like the one above- takes too long and there's probably better things to do.  But I learned something reading earlier.  The German/Austrian region had it going on violin making wise after the golden period-  impressive.