Sign in to follow this  
Ernest Martel

Mama Told Me

Either van Morrison plays violin and I never noticed...

...or you are in a dust disturbing mood...

Like I would be if I went on a football forum...said how boring football was...and started talking about how great curling was instead... ;)

Stifled by all the classical stuff posted here lately....

My mistake. ..you said "stifled" ...not "boring".

...and I never said anything about the video...did I?

...well...I'm off to stifle myself with a lttle Bach before turning in for the night..

I used to work for the city of Austin and some people thought it would be a nice present to appoint me to be one of the drivers for the musicians performing at SXSW.  They take volunteer applications for the gig but city employees have an official inside track on city stuff there.  But I had already read the lineup and didn't recognize any of the names.  Although I'm sure they were very famous  ;)

Well big E. if you tire of Van Morrison you could try some Steve Winwood, ELO, maybe some Toto and Doobie Brothers if you can handle the extra instrumentals going on.

Still confused by your post. Care to elaborate today?

Well...I thought I did, but I can try again.

To say you are "stifled" by classical music talk, on what is largely a classical music related forum is quite insulting.  And not only do you insult classical music, you introduce a musician/genre that has nothing to do with the violin! (Or the viola, or the cello, or the bass...)...

^Like talking about your Camero on a Mustang forum.

Just so! :)

Well, since you seem intent on "talking 'rock and roll' on a 'smokepole' forum", so to speak, here's some questionable contributions of my own.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5Xv7QqXiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTv-I2Y390

Wow. Insulted huh? OK

I'm not insulted B) ​.  I don't care enough to be insulted.

But YOU were being insulting. And now you're being  facetious.

Do you know what stifled means?  In the sentence you wrote it means that you are being 'suffocated or smothered' 'by all the classical stuff posted here lately".

Sounds insulting to me...

...in for a penny, in for a pound...​

I can't afford to be a snob. I'll play on a garbage heap if they'll pay me (to quote my piano teacher)....

And are you suggesting that classical music buffs are snobs?

...oh...just because of the possible confusion...

Maybe it's all on my part! ;)

Third time lucky...and then I'm off to do something more productive...

My sincere apologies Rue. I really didn't realize that the Fingerboard is for classical stringed instrument performance only. I will be careful not to post anything like that again.

I don't think the Fingerboard has to be for classical stringed instrument performance only. Lots of fiddlers here as well. But that's 75% of what MN is...because this IS primarily a violin forum.

Go right ahead and start a topic on different music...that's fine and dandy...but please don't insult those of us who are here primarily for the 75%...(or those that play the violin...)...

***edit. I see VDA and Connie beat me too it...lol...

I admit to liking that album of Ry Cooder and the fiddling stuffed racoon.

I love all Ry Cooder. A fingerboard is a fingerboard, strings are strings, and a master is a master,

The Dark End of the Street

I see no conflict with the subject of this thread and the stated purpose of this forum: "The Fingerboard is focused on discussions relating to string instrument playing, practicing, technique, recent performances you've given or heard, the best CD of a particular piece and so on."