Hello ! I've got this beautiful old violin. It seems to have a nice back and top but the scroll looks too long and the distance between "A" "D" and "E" "G" peg holes looks too long. However I would be glad if someone could probably tell me is it a masterpiece or a poor quality violin, how old is the violin and from which region probably is ?036768572.jpg?r=0036768556.jpg?r=0036768557.jpg?r=0036768558.jpg?r=0036768561.jpg?r=0036768560.jpg?r=0036768567.jpg?r=0036768568.jpg?r=0

Not valueable but it's not worthless either, it's better than most Schönbach/Markneukirchen violin we see on this forum. The f wings are fluted and decent wood was used. It looks like there are no cracks which is good. Only downside is the handwriting on the back (someone's name?)

I won't mention a price but in current condition it's worth several hundred dollars.

Not valueable but it's not worthless either, it's better than most Schönbach/Markneukirchen violin we see on this forum. The f wings are fluted and decent wood was used. It looks like there are no cracks which is good. Only downside is the handwriting on the back (someone's name?)

I won't mention a price but in current condition it's worth several hundred dollars.

The past owner ho played on this violin

Yes its better than most trade instruments, looks like its in good shape, nothing weird about it, it should clean up really nicely. Easily a $1200 to $2000 instrument in most shops in the US, $3-$4K in some of the shops in my part of the country. Of course that's in a shop, and after what would probably be $400-500 in set-up work and cleaning. Still, you put that in an on-line auction and you would probably get well into the $100s.

Valuable is relative, and this might be low in the violin world, but here in the US for most people several hundred dollars is "valuable" and getting into the thousands is serious money.

Very nice, fluted ff-wings, notched button, what I can see of the scroll has little Saxon about it, wood's very pretty, but built-on-back and otherwise very definitely Markneukirchen area.  I'd give it just a touch more age than Jacob did, say late 1880's to early 1890's, and suspect that it originally sold through a shop rather than a Sears catalog.  How does it sound?  :)

The OP question, resp. title of this thread was/is “Is this violin valuable”, which it isn’t. Also the OP question if it is a “masterpiece” begs a negative answer, rather it is a “Dutzendarbeit” (serial production).

That one would have a serviceable old school violin, should one wish to finance the ubiquitous new pegs/shoot fingerboard/bridge/post/tailpiece/strings/restore to hygenic condition/glue etc. is also a fact, albeit a question that wasn’t asked.

I disagree with Jacob, it is valuable. I can say with 100% certainty that many people would pay at least a couple hundred bucks for that instrument as is, I see it every day. I'm pretty sure Jacob wouldn't be one of those guys, but that doesn't change things. 

Valuable is relative, and this might be low in the violin world, but here in the US for most people several hundred dollars is "valuable" and getting into the thousands is serious money.

You've got that right! :lol:

Like others say, value is relative. If it is sorted out (crack on bass side of bridge at least) and set up correctly with proper tailgut,new strings etc it would probably sell for, in my opinion, for anything in between 200-600 euros depending on how the sound is. Most likely in the 300€ range. As-is as a project probably 100-150€ on ebay.