Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

A Markie, a Cremonese, and a Chinese walk into a bar...

Just thought it would be fun to post the small collection of violins my fiancée and I have. Not pictured is an ornamented Saxon I have posted about before, as its in the shop with the belly off for repairs. I'll leave it to you maestros and maestras to say which is which, just for fun.

post-79096-0-25007500-1458668484_thumb.jpg

I'm tired of using a scraper so here are my guesses.   Left to right, Chinese,  a real nice Cremonese? and a Markie.  And a smokey gray cat to the far left.

not easy! but I'm always happy to make a fool of myself ...

assuming you are not winding us up and that one is cremonese, one is MK and one is Chinese ....!

OK, I would say C is a modern Italian instrument, therefore must be your cremonese

B has some genuine age to it - I would say classy MK

A must therefore be Chinese - it's so perfect, it seems self-consciously cremonese yet without a couple of essential construction details

Left must be chinese as it has tonal problems ( mutes on strings). Heavy arching on the left one... must be the markie and that leaves .... 

cheers, Mat

Martin - I promise I'm not winding you up. There is indeed one Markie, one Chinese, and one Cremonese, and you rightly said that the Italian is 20th cent. In fact, both the German and the Italian are from the 1920s, and the Chinese is from last year.

Mat, that apparatus is not for wolf tones, but is just a bridge mute resting there to be used as required in the score.

A is the Markie, B is the Cremonese, and C is the Chinese.   :)

Yes, but how do they sound? :P

This would be my vote, too...

... and Rue,

The Markie orders a Heineken, the Cremonese orders red wine, and the Chinese tries to copy the Cremonese, but goes cheap... and orders an Australian wine.

A Markie, a Cremonese, and a Chinese walk into a bar...

.......and promptly get pitched out by a Steinway, a Kawai, and a Bösendorfer.  It was, you see, a piano bar.   :lol:

.......and promptly get pitched out by a Steinway, a Kawai, and a Bösendorfer.  It was, you see, a piano bar.   :lol:

The Chinese broke off his corner and smashed his poor button :unsure: .

A has the most Markie features, therefore ordered a Pilsener rather than a Heineken, won't it?

they should have ducked!

My wild guess....

A ..Markie

B china modern

C Cremona or hungarian....touched up in Cremona

I didn't see this earlier, but you have it right! As per my last post, A is the Markie. B is a new Chinese instrument I just received yesterday, and C is a Luigi Digiuni, 1928, that my fiancée bought at Hans Weisshar in 2012.

The shiny varnish on the Digiuni has always put me off, but it really is the superior instrument of the bunch tonally and wrt responsiveness. The chipped corner is an unfortunate and recent event, and I don't feel qualified to rectify it. We'll take it to David Kerr in Portland this summer.

I bought the Chinese on a lark from a supplier I found on Alibaba just because it looked nice and had a money back guarantee! Plays nicely but seems to have a pretty compressed range of possible colors.

The Albrecht was Anna's grandfather's violin and has a really rich tone, but doesn't carry all that well in a Hall. She's having fun with the gut strings on it, mostly playing Bach and Leclair.

Well I got the Italian right!

I haven't been keeping my eye on modern Chinese stuff - I'm impressed.

The "Markie" really mystifies me. Are you quite sure of the date? There was an Albrecht in the 1920s but the label should read Johannes not Johann - Johann Albrecht is a modern trade name. 

Good game BTW!

I was going to say A/B/C = Markie/Chinese/Cremonese even before the disclosures.

Here is a corner shot of violin B. What I'm not clear on is whether the swirly bits are a varnishing artifact or some sort of figuring.

Rays in the Spruce, where the surface is perfectly radial.  And strong rays.  And too much color on the wood.  Sandpaper might make it stand out more... I don't know.