Maestronet Forums

Becoming a business, where do I start?

MikeCanada

I might just be inclined to just ask a Canadian bow maker. There are a couple I know (or knew) who did exactly what you want, make and repair bows as a business out of their home.

Maybe they wouldn't want to help create competition, but one guy in particular seemed gracious enough, and confident in himself enough, that he might help out a young guy. It cant hurt to ask.

I, too, have a small, home-shop violin and viola repair and making business.  I pay for a county license each year ($1.00), and file income with my regular Fed and State yearly returns.  No sales tax for repairs.  Tried to get insurance through my home insurer, they said for instruments I would need to find a special company that does that.  They gave me a name, but the company never called back or answered my email.  Probably I'm too small for them to bother with.  Does anyone know of any company that insures instruments and/or workshop contents?  Also, I am planning to loan one of my own instruments to the local school district, but would like to insure it against loss or damage so that the schools won't be liable.    I would appreciate a name and contact info of an insurance company who could do that.

Thank you.   

Does anyone know of any company that insures instruments and/or workshop contents?  Also, I am planning to loan one of my own instruments to the local school district, but would like to insure it against loss or damage so that the schools won't be liable.    I would appreciate a name and contact info of an insurance company who could do that.

Thank you.   

Best to start a separate thread to get help with your specific problem instead of hijacking someone else's.

...Tried to get insurance through my home insurer, they said for instruments I would need to find a special company that does that.  They gave me a name, but the company never called back or answered my email.  Probably I'm too small for them to bother with.  Does anyone know of any company that insures instruments and/or workshop contents?

Try these guys, which Jerry and I mentioned earlier:

http://www.musicins.com/coverage_home_base_business_product.html

Thanks again. I am not quitting my day job at this point and do not intend to in the near to mid term future, but I would like to take a step or two away from "that guy that does some bow stuff in his spare bedroom" towards "that bow maker". Some of that is a mental step that I need to take, and formalizing that aspect of my life will assist with that as well. 

I have considered some night/online courses in business, as I am aware that I am rather ignorant of that side of things. I too have known people who wanted to turn a passion/hobby into a business and failed not because of the quality of their product, but because of their poor business sense. As mentioned above, much of the information I have found related to small businesses have been about employees, wages, EI benefits, safe food handling, acquiring funding, patents, business qualifications/certificates required to operate in your field, etc. and not particularly relevant to my situation. I do not want to commit that time, money, and effort to something that is largely non-applicable, when I could be directing those resources at the work I want to do.

I am getting the impression if I ask an accountant the right questions, get insurance from the right people, (who appear to be Heritage) keep my day job, grow slowly, do good work, and refer anything over my head to someone else more qualified, that will guide me down the right path.