Maestronet Forums

Collecting Horse Hair For The Rehair

cellocelloareyouthere

Hey guys,

So i went to collect some horse hair at my friend's ranch as i mentioned earlier in the week. However we were lucky enough that one of his friends rang him up and told him that his horse had recently died, and the hide with the tail still attached was sitting in his yard. So we went and checked it out and were greeted with a whole tail of horse hair with the tail bone still attached.

In my excitement, when we got home, i just went at the horse's tail and removed the tail bone. Then i was left with a huge bundle of hair that my wife and I spent the next two to three hours sifting through to pull out any hairs that were at least 32 inches. However this was an intense effort and we were left with two hanks.

All the pictures can be found here: http://celloadventurer.blogspot.com/  Those who are a little afraid of seeing a bloody horsetail bone, i suggest viewing with extreme caution.

As i mentioned above, in my excitement to get the hair, i didn't really follow the advice given before about tying off the hair at one end and tracing it to the dock. This is probably why it took such a long time to extract the hair. We are going to visit again soon and try taking it from one of the alive horses at my friend's ranch.  However, seeing how difficult it was finding just such a small amount of hair in a whole tail, i am a little apprehensive. I have since watched many youtube videos of people who show how to take horse hair tail to make jewellery etc, but i cannot say i am brimming with confidence.

If you have any other good advice how i can collect horse hair tail without having to spend hours sifting through all the small hairs, and through a lot of the tail, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Luke

If you have any other good advice how i can collect horse hair tail without having to spend hours sifting through all the small hairs, and through a lot of the tail, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Luke

Start with a horse with a looong tail!