Sign in to follow this  
Televet

Bow Blanks: PSA

http://www.amati.com/auction/browse.php?id=0

I was not quite sure where to put this, it does not quite fit the auction scroll or the luthier exchange, so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

Whilst browsing the upcoming Amati auction I saw that lots 139 to 207 onwards are a fair number of Pernambuco blanks. There have been a number of threads recently asking about bow blanks and this might be an opportunity for someone? Especially if someone else will do all the tiresome paperwork?

I don't think that anyone else besides the buyer is offering to do the paper work., are they?

Hello MeyerFittings,

As Amati is a UK based auction house, non E.U. shipments need a CITES license. I've spent quite a lot of time chatting with the CITES office recently so happy to help buyers with this process. I think Televet (thank you for the mention) saw this sentence on our catalogue page - CITES license required for Lots 139 - 207 if being shipped outside the E.U. Please contact Sarah - +44 20 7099 7114.

Sarah

Dear Sarah

How much does the CITIES license cost?  Do you have to have one for each lot and are you supplying proof that the wood is pre-ban? Does this process have to be completed on the bows as well? Will this all work for shipment to the US or is one taking a risk of impoundment? What about the white tip plates?

Thanks

Eric

Dear Sarah

How much does the CITIES license cost?  Do you have to have one for each lot and are you supplying proof that the wood is pre-ban? Does this process have to be completed on the bows as well? Will this all work for shipment to the US or is one taking a risk of impoundment? What about the white tip plates?

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

A license is £37 and is issued per buyer rather than per Lot (thank goodness) and I'm talking specifically about the pernambuco Lots. Fortunately almost every blank is date stamped 04 April 1993 and we have a supporting letter to confirm the wood was purchased long before pernambuco was added to CITES Appendix II in 2007.

With shipping bows to the US our advice is:

In light of the recent Lacey Act amendment and further States banning mammoth ivory, we strongly request that you contact us regarding any bows you may be interested in placing a bid on if you are based in the US. We can then advise if the material used is ivory, plastic or a metal.

With regret, our policy should your intention be to have bought Lots shipped to the US is to remove the ivory head-plate.

It's not something we enjoy doing, quite the opposite but rather than risk the entire bow shipment we believe, as do most of the buyers that this is a sensible decision. Last week a bow shipment was held at customs and it took no time to get it released because we were able to advise customs straight away that any non-plastic tips had been removed, something which they'll see if they decided to inspect the shipment. As it was they seemed happy with our answers and released the shipment the next day. We actually keep all the tips just in case the rules change one day in which case we can send them on to the buyers.

I hope this has helped with your questions.

Sarah