Maestronet Forums

Question regarding neck grafts

Berl Mendenhall

Below is a picture of the neck heal graft of the Harrison Strad.  Is there any reason why this is not a good graft to use.  Just looking from the side it looks like it's end grain to end grain, but it's not.  It has a deep mortise that runs into the neck heal, so there is lots of side by side gluing.  Plus the piece added to the bottom.  I had never seen the inside of one of these grafts until I got my Harrison Strad Poster from NMM.  To be honest the graft looks a lot healthier than a peg box graft.  I grafted the neck on my current fiddle, but used the peg box style graft.  I do plan to use one of these grafts in the future.  Any thoughts?  After looking at the picture the graft is the thin line (maybe three mm) just above the edge of the top.

post-6653-0-54047300-1456232978.jpg

MaestronetLurker, this is a topical heal graft. The piece you seem to think is a cheek addition is a solid piece of wood with a tendon in the center that extends into the neck heal. Mortis and tendon joint and the piece added to the bottom is to correct over stand and where the neck was released from the button.

MaestronetLurker, this is a topical heal graft. The piece you seem to think is a cheek addition is a solid piece of wood with a tendon in the center that extends into the neck heal. Mortis and tendon joint and the piece added to the bottom is to correct over stand and where the neck was released from the button.

Would I be correct in thinking that in order to glue a tendon into the mortis in this situation,  it would be de rigueur to use animal glue ?

Murrmac, I love the Scottish accent.  I once had a Scottish girlfriend for a couple years and I use to love to just listen to her talk.  But I must admit I did have to look up de rigueur.  I didn't have any French girlfriends.  Yes,I believe you would be correct in thinking hide glue would be in vogue.