Pets and violins. ..

Inspired by the recent photos of pets...I thought we might be due for a new pet thread.

What is happening at your place?

I am trying to practice...

(No bows or cats were remotely traumatized in this encounter).

post-48723-0-68086900-1456090495_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My animals used to listen to my classical guitar playing all day long and I had a flock of birds who used to hang around too.  Since I have switched to violin 2012, my animal fan base has found better things to do or have flown to other neighborhoods- not the same anymore.  I do remember the dog becoming agitated when I was searching for M1 frequencies of the violin plates back then - very uncomfortable growlings.     

I don't know if we're doing this thread for fun or for education.  For fun, my male cat marked my Brahms Concerto violin part and the stain is still there after 50 years.  Rorschach would have been proud of him: a big, bold statement which is obviously either Denmark after another 6 million years of erosion, or Granny's most worn poke-bonnet, depending on how one wakes up in the morning.  

Fortunately the music was sitting there in the opened violin case, but the violin was somewhere else at the time.  And, fortunately, the case didn't suffer.  

For education, I don't think ANY pet in history has been been reported to have benefitted an instrument or bow.  I'd be surprised if there aren't some horror stories.  So, IMO, we should keep Strads and Shih Tzus and Bergonzis and Boston Terriers at a safe distance from one another.  If, on the other hand, one could train a beautiful Golden Retriever service dog to aid in antiquing, it would free a maker up to get started on his next instrument.

One of my cats flees the room any time I open my violin case, the other one rushes into the house and flops on my feet and stays there for my entire playing sessions.

This is Jellicle, in his usual position.  (please to be ignoring my playing, I was still in the early stages of learning that piece and my intonation is all over the place)

When I'm in my lil' workshop, however, Yuki transforms from music hater into Overseer-cat and keeps me company for hours on end.  (FailBook photos, sorry)

Here's Maple, the 4 year old German Shepherd, and Curry, the 3 year old Calico cat.  Maple can pretty much tell when I'm at a stopping point and it's time to take her on a walk.  She'll come up to the bench, sit down, and stare at me, and tilt her head a bit.

Other than that, they're pretty lazy, and most of the time I work away, and they snooze in the hottest part of the house they can find.

post-78407-0-79524300-1456133237_thumb.jpg

post-78407-0-28490700-1456133242_thumb.jpg

post-78407-0-92517800-1456133245_thumb.jpg

When I head to the shop Chase (dog) and Saber (cat) race down to follow me in.  Vinny (black rat snake) is already there because that's where he lives.  They will happily sleep, play or otherwise entertain themselves for however long I'm there.  Until I decide to practice.  Then cat and dog want out fast. <_<   Vinny doesn't seem to mind, but that's probably because snakes don't have ears.

-Jim

Before I moved my music room to the bigger room...I used to play to my snake too (Vietnamese Blue Beauty...Ling).

We had to put her down due to health issues.  I gotta say...I miss the snake.  :(  However, I don't miss defrosting rats... <_<

Before I moved my music room to the bigger room...I used to play to my snake too (Vietnamese Blue Beauty...Ling).

We had to put her down due to health issues.  I gotta say...I miss the snake.  :(  However, I don't miss defrosting rats... <_<

Darn it! I knew forgot to do something before leaving for work this morning. 

Hi All - my previous GSD would leave the house if I started playing my cello - quite worrying - I didn't think I played that poorly.

My wolf-dog Chetka, on the other paw, quietly comes up the stairs and, stands listening to me for a bit, then lies down next to me with his head on my right foot - eyes closed and fully relaxed. Now there's a true pal.

When making my violin at Brian Lisus, his cats would supervise... (check out his videos)

post-98-0-60226400-1456169915_thumb.jpg

cheers edi

Jellicle is a charmer.  He ought to give lectures on relaxation.  But there's more to it than just relaxation; it's as if Jellicle has arrived at enlightenment  Just wonderful.  Reminds me of Kipling:  "I am the cat who walks by himself and all places are alike to me."

Here is my 6 year old Jack Russell Terrier named Poppy back when she was a puppy. The picture is not contrived at all...I just walked into the room and found her in sitting in this case!...I don't blame her...dogs always find the most comfortable places to hang out! These days she has her place in the workshop near the heater. I give her doggy treats to chew but in the workshop she prefers chewing wood offcuts....Maybe she is trying to help..I doubt this is healthy for her and put her back in the house if it looks like she might ingest wood. She's a good dog  :wub:     EDIT....second pic is her now at 6yrs old in the workshop hassling me for a walk/

post-23531-0-96826500-1456182706_thumb.jpg

post-23531-0-62457200-1456183064_thumb.jpg