Sign in to follow this  
Omobono

Did Stradivari take in the odd repair job?

I came across a picture of the inside of a Brothers Amati fiddle of 1614 with an inscription to the effect:

"3 9bre fato il manico da me Antonio Stradivari in Cremona" - does it say 1721?

http://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=17973

Set me wondering if this is a unique specimen or are there others instances?

Can only surmise the circumstances that lead to this fiddle finding its way into Stradivari's hands.

post-86-0-87656600-1455867554_thumb.png

I know of at least 2 composite instruments, with entire bellies made as repairs by Stradivari ( as opposed to being adapted for).

Can you illustrate one of those Peter?

I know of at least 2 composite instruments, with entire bellies made as repairs by Stradivari ( as opposed to being adapted for).

That's very interesting.  Are the tops on Stradivari instruments (say from another period) or were they on backs/ribs from other makers?

Thanks.

There is supposed to be a lute with a Stradivari repair.... It should be somewhere in the Pollens book. The Carbonelli inventory includes a violin by Othi with a replaced front by Stradivari. Peter and I both know where that one is... :)

A very similar inscription in a similar place exists on the Medici tenore viola. To add to that, there's whatever anyone thinks they can make of the 'canobio' guitar, which is possibly also repaired by Stradivari. 

That's very interesting.  Are the tops on Stradivari instruments (say from another period) or were they on backs/ribs from other makers?

Thanks.

They are both on earlier instruments, not by Stradivari.

There is supposed to be a lute with a Stradivari repair.... It should be somewhere in the Pollens book. The Carbonelli inventory includes a violin by Othi with a replaced front by Stradivari. Peter and I both know where that one is... :)

A very similar inscription in a similar place exists on the Medici tenore viola. To add to that, there's whatever anyone thinks they can make of the 'canobio' guitar, which is possibly also repaired by Stradivari. 

They are both on earlier instruments, not by Stradivari.

Thanks, this is fascinating.  I found the reference in the Pollens book from the Carbonelli inventory but it only references a repair to the Othi violin in 1723.  Is it indeed a complete new top that was made?  The Stradivari letter from 1708 also speaks of some repairs to a violin, but it's not apparent what that instrument is.  Can someone give more information on Martino Othi?  Thanks!