"stringed" or "strung" ?

There seems to be a trend to make longer, more complicated words. 

Years ago, if you were unlucky your house might be burgled, now it's burglarised, and soon, I predict, it will be burglarisationalised, not by a thieving little bollox , but by a burglarisational technician.

Lots of words are changing their meanings too. At the moment we're having a general election here. I find myself cursing at the radio all day long. I'm glad I don't live in the US, where the elections seem to take years instead of weeks.

'Presently' now means at the moment or currently. 'In future' has given way to 'going forward'. We have developed a 'fiscal gap' and nobody knows what that means at all.

I just saw the word "religiosity" on the Beeb website. When did the BBC go over to the dark side? :rolleyes:

I just saw the word "religiosity" on the Beeb website. When did the BBC go over to the dark side? :rolleyes:

Fo' a second, I thought you meant "the beebs."  How excruciating. I keep thinking he is a politician; he certainly behaves like one.

I have to second what David said re absurdity of our primary process, especially this year.  This year, we had the pope weighing on on *our* election process, and we had all sorts of name calling before any primary!  And one front runner regularly insults some peeps, and it only increases his popularity.  Another former front runner is  spectacularly unqualified to hold any government office, and I wonder if I could be a great neurosurgeon because I really want to be one?

Ooops, I meant violin builder.  No wait! Maker.  I want to be a great violin maker.  :P

There are "scientists of all sorts on this forum! Where are lingueists? :)

Languages are evolving all the time, except the dead ones.

The natural word would not be "stringed" but "strung". A child who never heard tthe word would use "strung" as the past tense of the verb "string", or "brung" as the  past tense of the word "bring".

It drives me demented.

Lately, the news reporters seem to have forgotten the words girl , woman and ould one. Now they're all females. Likewise boys , men and ould lads are males. So the particular species is left to your imagination.

Another one got my goat the other day. I heard a female describe the Mona Lisa as iconoclastic! In my view it barely makes iconic , and would be more or less unknown if he hadn't forgotten to put the eyebrows in.

Word usage evolves....and it's not always a 'bad thing'.

How many of us still say 'shall' or 'begat' or any of a host of 'outdated' words?  ^_^

But in the meantime...word misuse that irks me...'heighths' and 'boyses'.... :angry::)

One of my favorites when perusing the auction sites, and I am guessing it's probably correct usage, is "hammered dulcimer", probably made by a hammered dulcimer builder, uh, excuse me, maker.

"Hammered dulcimer" is indeed correct usage, so named to distinguish it from a "lap dulcimer" also called "mountain dulcimer" which is a radically different instrument.

Whether the makers are hammered, I have no idea ... the players IME sometimes look as though they are ...