Maestronet Forums

Violin or viola: good or bad sound to reveal by tapping?

DutchViolins

It really doesn't matter.  Anyone who would actually make adjustments or any decisions based on tapping alone would have to be a bit of a nutcase.  It's all just entertainment for those of us easily entertained by the sound of hitting things

I've generally considered those who thought they could determine the sound and performance potential of a violin, by tapping on it alone, as being rather nutcase. Perhaps I'll change my mind somewhere in the future, or maybe not.

Except for Don, who I consider to be better at deriving information from tapping, than anyone else I've run into so far.

Dear David,

If you hit the violin's bridge with an impact hammer and see the violin's frequency response is that being a nutcase? 

If you hit the bridge with an impact hammer and measure the the bridge's motion with an accelerometer to determine the violin's mobility is  that also being a nutcase? 

If you hit the violin at various places with an impact hammer and measure the bridge's vibration with an accelerometer to do a modal analysis is that being a nutcase?

I don't think so.  I collect nuts for my friend's pet squirrels so I think I'm a real nut case.

Dear David,

If you hit the violin's bridge with an impact hammer and see the violin's frequency response is that being a nutcase? 

If you hit the bridge with an impact hammer and measure the the bridge's motion with an accelerometer to determine the violin's mobility is  that also being a nutcase? 

If you hit the violin at various places with an impact hammer and measure the bridge's vibration with an accelerometer to do a modal analysis is that being a nutcase?

No, I think all these are good for data acquisition. But I don't think we've gotten to the point yet, at interpreting that data for the purpose of detailed tonal or playing quality assessments, that it comes close to  what we can determine by playing and listening. Right now, that's still the reference standard by which measuring and interpretation systems are judged.

But I also have no right to say that it can't be done. The world is a big place, and maybe I just haven't run into the right people yet.

I bought a smoke filled old violin many years ago with a label " David Tekler 1703 Salzburg". Since I did not know much about violin then so I tapped the violin all over and the sound coming out was very clear and consistent like there are airs inside the wood. I bought it and enjoy this violin ever since, I guess yes, if the sound is dull and lifeless, the violin probably is not a good one. But if the sound is clear and open I guess it probably is a good violin like the Tekler I bought. This is only experience I have so far so I am not a qualified person to affirm this.

I bought a smoke filled old violin many years ago with a label " David Tekler 1703 Salzburg". Since I did not know much about violin then so I tapped the violin all over and the sound coming out was very clear and consistent like there are airs inside the wood. I bought it and enjoy this violin ever since, I guess yes, if the sound is not dull and lifeless, the violin probably is not a good one. But if the is clear open I guess it probably is a good violin like the Tekler I bought. This is only experience I have so far so I am not a qualified person to affirm this.

If one is visiting an expert for instrument valuation they never play on the instrument!

All what they do is looking, pushing, knocking and tapping. Finally there will come out a value based on these 'variables'.

How valuable is this? Does it mean anything?

If one is visiting an expert for instrument valuation they never play on the instrument!

All what they do is looking, pushing, knocking and tapping. Finally there will come out a value based on these 'variables'.

How valuable is this? Does it mean anything?

It means that value has almost nothing to do with sound.  

At one shop where I visited to discuss possible consignment, there was only looking... no tapping or playing.