Immersion course

PASEWICZ

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see less wrong with what he's doing than the rest of you. Look, for $10,000 you also get exclusive invitations to concerts at secret locations. That's terrific, right?

For awhile my husband was trying to get me to pay for him to go to some monastery in France to learn techniques from Gesina Liedmeier in an immersion setting. Ok, so it would have been half the cost of this, and about 4000% more awesome, and Gesina Liedmeier has great skills. So, ok, it's different. Never mind.

Upon your husband returning from the monastery, he might come up a little short on doing the dirty deeds, from having been ensconced in the monastic culture. Or maybe he would come back as wild man, from deprivation  :lol:. I have no way of knowing which you would do best with.

It's a little risky to rely on generalizations about what men want, and what women want. If you know yourself and your husband pretty well, I'll venture that you emerged from this challenge semi-OK. ;)

Thanks Jerry!

I had a situation where a not so scrupulous hair dealer was trying to start a rehair service. I found on his sight pictures of my spouse packing a bow in one of our tubes that came from our site. We made 2 phone calls...I call the guy, and the office manager called the attorney. They were down before the attorney picked up the phone.

I had a situation where a not so scrupulous hair dealer was trying to start a rehair service. I found on his sight pictures of my spouse packing a bow in one of our tubes that came from our site. We made 2 phone calls...I call the guy, and the office manager called the attorney. They were down before the attorney picked up the phone.

I have asked for the photo to be removed.

I'll keep you posted.

Joe

I do not see how. I pay to use published photos in our advertising.

Isn't that automatic?

He is using your photos to advertise a money making scheme (scam).

He is also appropriating the good name of the Oberlin workshop and the VSA to paint a deceptive picture of legitimacy.

He is also promising a service that we all know he cannot possibly deliver.

I would be concerned with whose products he is using and how he is representing them.

I know it sounds like I have a bug up my ass about this, but I do (not literally, thank god).

This kind of crap reflects poorly on the whole field. We all want to  make a buck, but do we not have standards?

Please let me know if I am making too much out of a small (man) thing.

He is also appropriating the good name of the Oberlin workshop and the VSA to paint a deceptive picture of legitimacy.

I would be concerned with whose products he is using and how he is representing them.

I know it sounds like I have a bug up my ass about this, but I do (not literally, thank god).

This kind of crap reflects poorly on the whole field. We all want to  make a buck, but do we not have standards?

You go, cease and desist baby!

Not at all. It is good to know that folks respond to...whatever this is...

Fair enough.

The Oberlin workshops are a product of the VSA, but at the same time, the money end of it, and the work product, comes totally from the participants and teachers (and most of the teachers go there at a financial sacrifice, just as most of the participants do). There are some rare exceptions, where some participant may get a tuition scholarship from the VSA. And one time, we waived tuition for a husband-wife couple who cooked for the group all week. That part didn't cost the VSA anything, because we still managed to work it into a break-even budget. But the VSA may have paid for some things, before I was involved, such as construction of workbenches.

So it's hard to figure out, on a legal challenge basis, who owns what.

My personal preference would be crediting default ownership of work product to the people who do so much work to put these workshops on, and no less to the people who pay to be there, who also do a lot of the work to make them a success.

If you use an image, best to mention copyright (your own or another's).  I constantly have trouble with an specific image on my website...  (used by a shop in China, one in Spain, on a CD cover, as a general ad, sold in image libraries, etc.)

Especially if you state copyright when using the image, you can submit the following to an offending site.  Has worked in all but one case (in China), but that was solved by a mini-boycott from the pros here on Maestronet (thanks again!).

"DMCA Notice of Alleged Infringement ("Notice")

Image subject of infringement:.  (http://www.offending-address-of-image).  (File name of your jpg) is copyright protected and appears on (my own website or other) (address)

Owner, author, & photographer: 

(Name or names...)

* "I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use)."

* "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."

Sign and or print name..."

. I can offer great deals on in home procedures for a fraction of the cost that those fancy pants hospitals do, apparently full frontal lobotomy's are back in fashion, so I need to go sharpen my purfling pick and sterilize my screwdrivers.

We're getting off topic here; let's get back to the wince cellar.

A wise man once said " I'd sooner have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy."

Fair enough.

The Oberlin workshops are a product of the VSA, but at the same time, the money end of it, and the work product, comes totally from the participants and teachers (and most of the teachers go there at a financial sacrifice, just as most of the participants do). There are some rare exceptions, where some participant may get a tuition scholarship from the VSA. And one time, we waived tuition for a husband-wife couple who cooked for the group all week. That part didn't cost the VSA anything, because we still managed to work it into a break-even budget. But the VSA may have paid for some things, before I was involved, such as construction of workbenches.

So it's hard to figure out, on a legal challenge basis, who owns what.

My personal preference would be crediting default ownership of work product to the people who do so much work to put these workshops on, and no less to the people who pay to be there, who also do a lot of the work to make them a success.

As a general rule the copyright for photos belongs to whoever took the picture, unless very detailed and specific waivers are signed.  Doesn't even matter if I set up the shot, and my camera and lens was used, if you actually clicked the shutter button then then copyright lies with you.

As for comments by others about losing copyright by posting an image on the web, they're simply not true.  Yes, it can be harder to enforce copyright, and it can be harder to identify who has misappropriated your images, but as Jerry and Jeffrey have pointed out it's perfectly possible to get the images taken down if they're used without your consent.  Most often it doesn't require a lawyer at all.  Either a letter to the site's owner, or failing that to the company hosting the site can be very effective.  Even the much-maligned facebook will respond by forced take-down of misused images.

Neil

"Hair today, gone tomorrow."

:ph34r:  :lol:

<runs  and hides>

Hi Option 1.

I was thinking more of the plaster casts. Any thoughts on those?

Hi David,

Reading your second last post and this, am I correct in that your wondering about the use of the plaster casts or replication of the casts by others outside of the Oberlin workshops? As in, they would be a copyrighted product made during Oberlin?

DGSR☺

Good find Jerry!  I was beginning to think I should have gone to Mainah ("hayot," the acknowledgement unique to Mainah that is so much maligned)and dust off all my old Mainah jokes about laconic country peeps, and how you can't get thar from heah.

I almost thought I lost a chance to build a master violin, but I also noted that in the Maine workshop it appears that at some points, "pre-built" parts (neck at least) are substituted.  I think Mr. Brown and Mr. Darnton would explode if I ever did that. (Seriously, I think they would think I was wasting their time).

Still, something exciting about going to Maine in August (where you need both a down comforter and A/C), live music at night (every night?), and spending 4 weeks just building (for those of us who can't do this full time). And the Maine mosquitoes, so big they have landing lights.  At least it's too far north for Zika.

What are the three biggest lies in Mainah?

1) The Trailah's phaid fuh
2) She ain't muy sistah
3) I was only helpin' that goat ovah tha fence

David,

The ownership of the plaster casts is a really good question.

I think there is a pretty big difference between using them as a personal reference to make you a better maker, to enhance your personal skill set, and using them as a selling point in a money making venture, advertising there use online in an attempt to boost paying attendees. Did every attendee at Oberlin get the option of walking away with copies of the casts? If so, WOW, thats pretty great.

I assume Mr. Roy has attended the Oberlin workshop. (?) It strikes me as right in line from past behavior I've observed to then take that experience and use it to bolster his own inflated sense of importance and talent and make money off of people any way he can. I find it distasteful at best, if you couldn't tell.

There are workshops all over the country, led be very competent makers or groups of makers that have spent a lifetime honing and refining their craft.  Is there room for one more? Sure, why not. But at that price, and using the resources he is, I just feel that there should be some accountability. 

But again, a fool and his money.