Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Tasty Tidbits on Tarisio

I find that Cappa violin fascinating. Partly because of it's great age....

http://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198339584&cpid=2687090688&filter_key=977eea83ba1d3f2680837d654c1c49f7

The scroll/head was described in the certificates as "crude later work", although it seems to show some wear/age itself which would be hard to fake. 

The soundbox seems in pretty good shape for something of that vintage. 

- John 

I find that Cappa violin fascinating. Partly because of it's great age....

http://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198339584&cpid=2687090688&filter_key=977eea83ba1d3f2680837d654c1c49f7

Cappas are very fine instruments.  Assuming good condition, $30,000  sounds to me like a steal.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up changing hands at a figure exceeding the high estimate. 

Looks like there's a rib repair on SamZ fiddle. Wonder what happened there.

My God, you mean someone played it?!

Accidents happen if instruments get used. Especially in the pit...

The Pique violin does look very nice.

I understand that labels by luthiers having performed repairs were fairly common in the early 19th century, but I wonder what type of repair would have warranted such a dramatic mention of work done. To my eye the varnish looks a bit off, and the grain of the top is unusually wide for the work of Pique.

Thoughts?

I think that might just be a large wing.

The SamZ fiddle has about 1/3 of the lower bout rib replaced. Not normal wear and tear. Someone must have put a nail through it. Not a great repair either.

The SamZ fiddle has about 1/3 of the lower bout rib replaced. Not normal wear and tear. Someone must have put a nail through it. Not a great repair either.

You might have thought some 'after service' from the maker might be the way to go....? 

Hard to imagine what damage was caused to warrant that repair.

post-86-0-84567600-1455662838_thumb.png

I understand that labels by luthiers having performed repairs were fairly common in the early 19th century, but I wonder what type of repair would have warranted such a dramatic mention of work done. To my eye the varnish looks a bit off, and the grain of the top is unusually wide for the work of Pique.

I don't see an obvious repairs. Certainly very wide grain on the belly. Love those cute 'beestings' which are missing or worn off on the belly treble side.

The varnish doesn't surprise me. What makes it look 'a bit off'?................

post-86-0-11299900-1455663376_thumb.png

I don't see an obvious repairs. Certainly very wide grain on the belly. Love those cute 'beestings' which are missing or worn off on the belly treble side.

The varnish doesn't surprise me. What makes it look 'a bit off'?................

I've not seen any Pique violin with this particular color of varnish, and I've seen a lot from this period. They usually have a nice golden-yellow-red hue, or sometimes a stark dark red-brown color. But I've never seen one (from any period) in fire-engine red. Also, they are typically a little more tasteful in their application.. I don't think it's Pique's, or at least that it has been majorly retouched at some point. Of course this is a humble opinion, and I'm searching for answers here - not trying to give them! :)

One more question though. Why the low estimates on this instrument? Or are they expecting bids to push over the maximum estimate?

Regardless, it is a stunning violin, and I bet it plays great! Piques are rare and usually wonderful players' instruments.

Well, you'd have to speak to Joe to know more about that viola, but I'd guess that it is his more refined version of an Otto Erdesz model.  ...................

Thanks for those thoughts.

Does the other 'attributed' Pique look a bit closer to your expectation, I wonder?

http://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198339584&cpid=3368566784&filter_key=697abf63af09afafde7ec45fc03431a4&sCategory_ID=36 

Neither the letter and certificate are recent...................  

There is another listed on Martin Swann's site with a Landon certificate

(which is interesting because I did see one that he had himself some years back)

http://www.martinswanviolins.com/sales/francois-louis-pique-violin/

I've been reading and trying to learn for a long time now. Today is my first post. The Tarisio auction ended today and I noticed that 1 of the 4 Hill bows was in a bidding war and the other 3 didn't sale. Could someone point out to me what I'm not seeing? Was it the weight?

So it's over!

The Samuel Zygmuntowicz went for the top estimate price.

The Lupot viola stayed put as did the Kittel bow (admittedly not original in all its parts).

Will take a look at the Hill  bows but someone else might comment first.

I noticed that 1 of the 4 Hill bows was in a bidding war and the other 3 didn't sale. Could someone point out to me what I'm not seeing? Was it the weight?

In fact there was a 5th Hill (lot #73) also unsold with a bid.

Two of the others unsold were a little lighter but that wouldn't necessarily tell the whole story either.

No reports or repairs as far as I see........