Maestronet Forums

Good quality Violin Pernambuco Bow

violy

Gee, except for Dwight and Nathan, what a thundering silence we're having.  Guess most of the pros are out at a Fungible Commodity Pricing Conference or something. ;)

I don't know anything about all this fancy bow stuff, but you might Google "Pernambuco violin bow" to see what comes up.  First, ignore everything on eBay, then look at all the various Pernambuco bows offered by the big online music stores.  Ummm, gee whiz, don't they all look similar?  Yes, the decorations differ at the different price points, but the sticks all look much the same.  And some have a name stamped on them and some don't, ummmmm...let's see, any real makers here?  Nope, just a handful of wholesale distributors and cutesy names they've made up for their different product lines.  And all the stores offer similar bows from the same distributors, at similar prices, something like shopping for a new 3/4 ton pickup truck from Dodge, Ford, and Chevy, differing mostly in the options package chosen.  :D

The conservative thing to do is to buy the brand and model of bow that the teacher recommended.  That way, if the bow does turn out to be crap (which it probably won't). you've got them to blame, and nobody can claim that you were trying to shortchange Junior's music career.  I would advise (like Nathan said) that you have your son try out a selection of them, using his own violin, because the individual springiness of a particular bow is beyond the distributor's control, and one may suit him better than another.  :)

Since the simplest answer would be, that a good bow from brazil wood (bois d'abeille) can be much better than a cheap one made of pernambuco, and I'm unfamiliar with the american situation I can't give any recommendation here, and I'm guesssing it's the same with others.

What's usually described as "good fernambuco bow" isn't available for the budget - saying that I've sold many german silver mounted bows like Dürrschmidt, Dölling etc. for less would be a forbidden advertising, I'm supposing. B):ph34r:

The Paesold linked in the OP is most probably, like other "branded" new bows in this range, a chinese product and could be bought for a better price elsewhere, if you know where to look or go (what I'm unable to do, see above).

So there's nothing left than to agree with Nathan and Vio, just go out and try.

I'm confused about the price point...$500 American dollars?  500 Euros?

There seem to be an awful lot of bows at either price point...but if you actually want a 'better' wood bow, you might need to look at those in the $1000 American range and up...

And because each 'stick' is different...and each person has individual preferences (at the moment I actually prefer my less expensive heavier viola bow to my more expensive violin bow)...it really helps to try them out - especially when you are spending that much money.

And let's be frank...it IS a lot of money.  Maybe not in context...but certainly as far as income goes for the average person.  So you may as well put in a little extra effort and purchase a bow that your son likes - versus playing the lottery and hoping it magically turns up in the mail.

And yes...your son WILL notice little differences between bows.

A few years back, Roland Huthmaker, at Huthmaker Violins in Duluth, Georgia, did  a demonstration for our Southern VIolin Association.  For those of us that brough violins, he played them for us, and then used different bows, mostly German and French, and it was very educational, and even for the novice makers in the crowd, we could really hear the difference.  For what its worth. 

Additionally, I have 3-4 violins hanging around the house, and I usually play each one daily.  Each seems compatible with a different bow, but I do have one bow that works well with them all.  Funny how that works.

If you have a set budget, go to a reputable shop, tell them your price range, and play everything they have have in your price range, using your own instrument.  One or maybe two will jump out at you.  Or if none does, don't buy.  Although you can ask about the next price bracket.

Forget about particular brand names.  Why? If you go through the process I outlined, you'll know why.

That's what I thought, Eric. 

It wasn't who you thought it was by the way, but he studied with you you thought it was :-)

What's a good place to source bow wood ? 

There's a wood dealer in Brazil who seems to be the most direct route. 

Hi Ben,

We have c. 200 pernambuco bow blanks coming up for auction soon. Were you thinking of coming over for the BVMA Makers' Day on 13th March? Hope this helps.

Sarah